Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Weighted dips/pull-ups

RandomKid

I was wondering how everyone thinks a routine consisting entirely of weight dips and weight pull-ups for compound upper body movements would work. If I dropped flat benching entirely and only did this routine would I actually increase my flat bench over time? Also, are weighted dips and pull-ups effective movements? Thanks.

Hi ran. I don't know much but I'll give you my opinion.

Weighted dips had helped me a lot to increase bench strength. I must admit that I need to add weight because I am only 128lbs. I don't think you have to drop flat benching entirely. What I do is to dip every time I go to the gym, increasing weights to warm up and in the chest day I do dips as the last exercise, to failure.
About weighted pull-ups, I love them, and I do them every day, as warm up as well. Once again my weight is in the middle so if I do it in a static bar, I have to add weight to get barely 8 reps (last exercise of my back routine). The other days I do like 3x10 at least.

I know that I would receive critics about doing those two exercises every time I go to the gym, but I enjoy them and I have obtained good results.

Hope it helped.
Cheers

Weighted dips have been a staple movement of mine for years. Just like any other compound movement, progressive increases in weight will yield strength and size overtime assuming diet and other factors are in check.

On the neg side. No one movement can effectively build a given area. Some movements tap the stabilizers more than others, some tap the target muscle more than others. It is the combination of multiple movements at varying angles that make a muscle well rounded and sculpted.

To increase ones bench, one must bench....
To increase ones Squat, one must squat....

Do them all and use Dips as a compound movement to enhance your bench, not replace it. Peace

Thanks for the advice everyone! I understand that in order to increase specific lifts they must be practiced, but my concern is lack of a spotter. How effectively could I build a routine based on movements like weighted dips and weight pull-ups. Also, I love deadlifts for the reason that I dont ever need a spotter...or maybe I do and I'm doing them VERY wrong. :rolleyes:

RandomKid said:
Thanks for the advice everyone! I understand that in order to increase specific lifts they must be practiced, but my concern is lack of a spotter. How effectively could I build a routine based on movements like weighted dips and weight pull-ups. Also, I love deadlifts for the reason that I dont ever need a spotter...or maybe I do and I'm doing them VERY wrong. :rolleyes:

I personally only do dips, I don't care about my bench numbers, heavy weighted dips are great and no spotter needed, this article says similiar a classic by Dr. Leistner,

http://www.cyberpump.com/preview/sense.html

I started doing weighted dips about 3 months ago and hit 50x12 today, im 175ish and have seen good chest/tricep growth. Hope that helps but i do agree that if you want your bench to go up, then bench.

you should add an overhead press, a flat press (db bench) and a flat pull (db row, cable row, bb row whatever)

dips and chins work a lot of muscle but not enough to ensure balanced development.. and dont expect much, if any carryover to the bench from the dipping.

Bottom line IMHO : They are both incredibly effective and excellent exercises but why limit yourself to just those two. You will...after time....get bored and stale if that is the ONLY two you EVER do. As far as your concern for lack of a spotter. You just work up to the last rep that you CAN DO and if you do not think you can get that last rep err on the side of caution and rack the sucker. You do not have to go to absolute failure to get results but will still benefit and make progress from one rep shy of failure. It doesn`t make sense to throw away two perfectly excellent bench movements (flat and inclines) for one rep. AND.... you can always use dumbells so in the event you can`t complete the last rep and only make it half way up, simply lower them down a little and drop the fuckers, (it builds character) !!! :)

Pump on .....

Last edited:
I believe thoses exercises are enough. I only do weighted Chins and Dips since month, my shoulders or others bodypart didn't atrophy quiet the contrary in facts.

Chins work : Lats, Biceps, Rear Delts (but also frontal and lateral)
Pullups work Lats, Forearms, Frontal and Lateral Delts and Traps
Dips work Chest, Triceps, frontal and lateral Delts and Traps

I do them everyday for sets. If you do too many exercises you'll slow your progress. I personaly don't see a good reason to do more exercices. Maybe when you are very advanced you can try isolation but don't except much growth from additional exercises.

Yeah to build on what Dave said, variation is key. Limiting yourself to only two exercises for the entire upper body will not only turn your mind off to lifiting, but it will also turn your body off, making it adapt very quickly. Switching it up not only makes it fun to be in the gym, but also shocks your body and promotes growth

BOOEY said:
Limiting yourself to only two exercises for the entire upper body will not only turn your mind off to lifiting, but it will also turn your body off,
Yup ........... Cuz where the mind goes the body follows !!!

Pump on ....

Top Bottom