Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Horror of Barbell Bench Press

Two Traps

A friend of mine told me that when doing bench press on a barbell, and if you hold it a certain way (depedning on the position of your thumb), that it would fall on your stomach. If the barbell fell on your stomach he explained to me that it would break your spine and likely paralize you. I am hoping to shed light on this issue and would like to know if this is true or even hear about serious injury resulting from other popular lifts. Primarily because I think these kinds of things are always good to know, and also when I was going for a last rept at 305 pound bench press, I couldn't complete the reps and the barbell fell on my face (because I didn't have a spot), and thank god there were other people at the gym to help me before getting squashed. So now i typically use spots.

Thanks.

Hey Two Traps! I got a scary image I was thinking of starting a thread on. But Id probabally get banned Im thinking. Check out Rotten.com and go to the picture entitled "Weight Lifter" or something like that. Supposedly the guy was doing squats and his intestines came out his rectum, was stuck in the full squat position for 30 mins. Check it out if you dare. But aside from that, make sure you have a spot. Also make sure your thumbs are wrapped tightly around the bar. I wouldnt reccomend a thumbless grip. Bench press deaths only occur a few times per year in the US. Or so I hear. Paralysis Im unsure of haha That would suck. As long as you dont let go of the bar you should be alright. Hope that helps!

I don't see how the barbell could break your spine. There's almost a foot of muscle, fat and organs to cushion the impact. You may rip your abs or split open an organ though.

"Supposedly the guy was doing squats and his intestines came out his rectum, was stuck in the full squat position for 30 mins."

No way could I look at that. :bawling: Ugh, you posted it on its own thread. I don't have the courage to look, hehe.

Serea said:
I don't see how the barbell could break your spine. There's almost a foot of muscle, fat and organs to cushion the impact. You may rip your abs or split open an organ though.

"Supposedly the guy was doing squats and his intestines came out his rectum, was stuck in the full squat position for 30 mins."

No way could I look at that. :bawling: Ugh, you posted it on its own thread. I don't have the courage to look, hehe.

hehe :D I like to punish myself with painful visual images,piercings and brutal workouts. Im one of those individuals who must expose himself to anything and everything haha Probabally better off not looking though :D

Yeah....no thanks on the "ass-tulip".

As far as the bench press thing goes. I haven't heard of that.
I have heard of the power lifter that dropped over 500 lbs on his chest because of a false grip. It bounced 2x before the spotters grabbed it. Luckily, he was ok....but now thumbs are firmly wrapped around the bar....ALWAYS.

Someone sent me that image in an e-mail once. It was pretty graphic and I prefer not to look again, especially if I'm going to eat today. :p

I've seen weightlifter and it's one of the worst pictures I've ever seen. His partner that was spotting him got feces all over his face.

Toozee said:
Yeah....no thanks on the "ass-tulip".

As far as the bench press thing goes. I haven't heard of that.
I have heard of the power lifter that dropped over 500 lbs on his chest because of a false grip. It bounced 2x before the spotters grabbed it. Luckily, he was ok....but now thumbs are firmly wrapped around the bar....ALWAYS.

ive also seen a powerlifter drop 700lbs on the bench onto his chest and he wasnt using a thumbless grip, he had his thumb wrapped around. so that grip is always bad, but your right, its risky.

the squatter with the "ass-tulip" was fake............ sheesh i cant belive you though that was real.

and no i dont belive its possible to break your spine benching.

break a rib, xifoyd(sp?) process, sternum, but i dont see how spine is possible..........

unless your 165 lbs and try to bench press 1200lbs........... now that just might do it.

X

Top Bottom