Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Which is a better curling excercise: incline curls vs. 90 degree seated curls?

i have to say i have done this.. and as my arms did grow..
what happend is my forarms muscles take over mostly..
and my bie's do not get a lot of growth.. I have always had problems here..
so i have to throw in.. some curls.. and i have to try hard to flex it.. as i can mostly feel in in my forearm a under lining muscles..
so i just do a little bit.. of betting my arms in just the right postion so i can flex it.. and not my forarm.. and i hold... I think just bad genetics.. ha ha...
I think i could pull the long and short bicepts off my arms and i would not lose any strength... ha ha....

madcow, you are probably going to hate me, but I just love arms so much. I do all the 5x5 on bigger body parts, so rest assured that they grow, but I do like to keep them 'maximized' year round. :)

now my question is what kind of form do you think is good for biceps? a bit of momentum? super strict?

view said:
madcow, you are probably going to hate me, but I just love arms so much. I do all the 5x5 on bigger body parts, so rest assured that they grow, but I do like to keep them 'maximized' year round. :)

now my question is what kind of form do you think is good for biceps? a bit of momentum? super strict?

Not at all, that's the way to do it. I had the arms discussion with a friend one time and he came up with "But the arms are the most viewed area of the body" which was pretty humorous. Most people are just obcessed with arms or thinking that there is some magical arm routine out there - and let's face it, all the noodle arms have been trying every concievable combination for years, if there was one out there that could produce big arms accross a range of trainees without heavy squatting, pulling, and pressing they most definitely would have found it. So making sure you get your arm training in is in no way harmful, will definitely make them more aesthetic and fuller even if no long term gains accrue, and sometimes it can be essential if it is impeding the progress in a core lift (i.e. tricept strength in the bench).

As far as form...like I said above, it doesn't really matter. You are kind of just pumping them up a bit. Obviously heavy barbell curls with a bit of body involvement (i.e. cheat curls) are going to be the best mass builder as far as curls are concerned but if you are rowing, pulling, squatting and all the rest I kind of question how essential it is to apply the "best" mass building curl (kind of an oxymoron). Don't ignore it completely but I really don't think there is going to be any measurable difference if you did strict hammers or preachers for a good portion of your training. This is kind of an area where you can have fun, not work ultra hard because the weight is easy, and enjoy yourself (maybe even check out the chicks).

cwc73 said:
So, I'm talking about roughly 60 degree incline seated curls vs. a 90 degree (military press bench) seated curls.

I like both but with the 90 degree curls I usually hit my legs with the dumbells on the way down. I rarely do this with the inclines.
What are the pros and cons of each. K for help!
Thanks a bunch!
Chris

Dude try some standing barbell curls over at the squat rack using that 45lb barbell add some xtra weight on it if u need to. my arms loved them!

Buckeyes said:
Dude try some standing barbell curls over at the squat rack using that 45lb barbell add some xtra weight on it if u need to. my arms loved them!

hahaha. Then I become everyone on elitefitness laughs at in their threads about noobie idiots in the gym. I'm not saying you are a noobie idiot, but people do see this as stupid some times. I think it is a good choice because I have done them before (outside of the squat rack though). I liked them but they hurt my wrists in high school. I had tendonidus (sp?) back then. I'm seeing some good stuff with these incline curls. Great pumps with no supplements but protien!

Incline curls are superior because you begin the movement from a fully stretched position. You are "inclined" to ceat less wit hany body swing, and if you move your elbows then it is also instantly more apparent. Inline curls also seem to have more of a peaking effect like when you do bent over curls.
Because you are in a mechanically stronger position when you do upright curls, most people prefer them beacuse they can use more weight. I like to to rep out with the incline curl, and then sit upright and force out more, then when I cant do any more like that I do seated hammer curls and then cheat the seated hammer curls.
I pick a weight that causes me to fail at around 5 reps with the incline, situp straight and I fail at about 2-3 reps, 2 more hammers and then about 2 more cheat hammers.
That's a twelve rep set with a weight that you can only do for 5 reps.

Top Bottom