Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

what's everyone putting up on incline bb bench??

Illuminati said:
Cool. I wasn’t disagreeing either about needing bench to get a big chest. I was just trying to show that the majority of the movement is done with the tri’s, delts and lats. But I don’t think that fly movements should be thrown out and be thought of as a waste of time, IMO they can be very valuable to the development of the chest.
Here is why (and this is just my theory.) In the many years that I have spent in the gym, I have found that they best way to work out is to first start with a compound movement, and then break the day down into isolation movements. Lets take legs for example. Almost everybody will agree that squats are the king of leg movements, and naturally, those who do do legs (there are some people out there that never do them), start with squats (or deadlifts, both of which work the same muscle groups.) after squats, the workout is broken down into movements that concentrate on certain muscles; quads, hams, calves and lower back (for the PLers.) so going with the same idea in mind, I apply this train of thought to my chest. I start with my compound movement (some sort of bench pressing movement) and from there move to concentrate on my chest and tri’s: ill do 1 fly movement and the pec deck, then different types of extensions for the tri’s with some pushdowns to finish it up.
Think about it for a minute. Try flexing your chest………………i can almost bet that you brought one of your arms across your body or rotated one of your shoulder inwards (in a fly motion) instead of extending your arm out (as if you were pressing) and felt your pec with your other arm hand. I have read numerous articles about how the main function of the chest muscles is to bring the arms across the body. This is why I feel that fly movements are a valuable tool for the development of the chest muscles.
Try adding them to your workouts. Make sure that you when you extend your arms that you only make a slight bend in the arms and bring them out to the sides. Most people will bend at the elbows too much. And don’t be afraid to go heavy (I do 4 sets 6-8 with 60’s, and im about to go up to 65’s)

What are your favorite types of fly movements or those that you think have helped you the most in terms of chest hypertrophy?

I've never been a big fan of the pec deck but I'm always willing to give a new exercise a try

InTraining said:
What are your favorite types of fly movements or those that you think have helped you the most in terms of chest hypertrophy?

I've never been a big fan of the pec deck but I'm always willing to give a new exercise a try

intraining....i like to mix it up between flat flyes and incline flyes. also, on the pec deck, if you have the type where you can put your arms way out use this one (there are some pec deck machines where you bend at the elbow, and rest your forearm against a pad.) i always use this machine, but occasionally i will do one are at a time, so that i can bring the arm further across my body, instead of having to just stop directly in front.

gjohnson5....yes, lats. and no, don't lay flat. keep your arch and dig your delts in, and pull the shoulder blades together! this will keep your back tight. (also dig your feet in, and learn to transfer the drive you can get from your legs, this has helped my max a lot.) i read some articles by louie simmons and dave tate (of WSB), and they talk about their benching, and that keeping the back tight, not flared, helps to increase the stretch reflex (reversing the weight.) as you are sitting there, try sitting up and arching the back as you would while lying doing a bench press. bring one arm back as if you were benching and were holding the bar in your hand. reach around with your other hand, and feel your lat. while feeling your lat, push the other hand forward with as much force as you can. you will no doubt feel the lat contract, this is where the majority of the reversal stregth comes from in doing the bench press. try this next time you bench (well, with both hands on the bar and lying down of course.)

Illuminati said:
intraining....i like to mix it up between flat flyes and incline flyes. also, on the pec deck, if you have the type where you can put your arms way out use this one (there are some pec deck machines where you bend at the elbow, and rest your forearm against a pad.) i always use this machine, but occasionally i will do one are at a time, so that i can bring the arm further across my body, instead of having to just stop directly in front.

gjohnson5....yes, lats. and no, don't lay flat. keep your arch and dig your delts in, and pull the shoulder blades together! this will keep your back tight. (also dig your feet in, and learn to transfer the drive you can get from your legs, this has helped my max a lot.) i read some articles by louie simmons and dave tate (of WSB), and they talk about their benching, and that keeping the back tight, not flared, helps to increase the stretch reflex (reversing the weight.) as you are sitting there, try sitting up and arching the back as you would while lying doing a bench press. bring one arm back as if you were benching and were holding the bar in your hand. reach around with your other hand, and feel your lat. while feeling your lat, push the other hand forward with as much force as you can. you will no doubt feel the lat contract, this is where the majority of the reversal stregth comes from in doing the bench press. try this next time you bench (well, with both hands on the bar and lying down of course.)

The metal militia technique says to squeeze shoulders together and arch the back, squeeze ass and drive legs forward. This is about what I was expecting , but for everyday benching I don't bench like that. Will try your variation, which seems faitly close to the metal militia technique

Illuminati said:

Ok thanks...Yeh I usually do incline flyes and cable crossovers from the bottom pulley...

We have the pec deck where the arms are out not on a pad so I will try that out...was a bit unsure before because I thought there would be some negative tension on the pec tendon...

wnt2bBeast said:
how is this post against my argument???
ryan kennelly chest is pretty small isnt it!!!!!!!!!!!

Kennelly has an actual day for chest work during the week....

I don't know if he did but one of the top benchers supposedly did 315 for 25 on inclines recently....

gjohnson5 said:
The metal militia technique says to squeeze shoulders together and arch the back, squeeze ass and drive legs forward. This is about what I was expecting , but for everyday benching I don't bench like that. Will try your variation, which seems faitly close to the metal militia technique

that is how i do them. im just not very good at explaining things sometimes.

wnt2bBeast said:
is that today?? either way nice work bro!!!
I meant to ask you about your style..you want to get 3 sets of 10 before you move up the weight..so lets say you move the weight up and your getting reps of 8,8,5-6..now you keep the weight the same each week and try to increase your reps until you can make all 10's?

YES SIR! The next time i hit incline hard (in 2 weeks) i will try and get all 3 sets of 10. If i fail to get all them next time, then the following time i will get them.

My partner and i are alternating heavy flat one week and heavy incline the next.

Top Bottom