Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

what's everyone putting up on incline bb bench??

In good form, high on my chest, with my index on the ring, I put up 205 for 6 reps. I weigh 215-220, with an estimate body fat of 15%, but being 6'2'', I have long ass arms. Can the next ? be our deadlift max? JK. :chomp:

Geesh reading this reminds me of how small I am!! LOL
6' about 190, about 12%bf
can do 225 for about 3, but right now I am having alot of rotator problems, so I think I have been going down on all pressing movements cuz of it...fuckin suczks!!

Plus I started doing cardio 3 weeks ago and lost almost 10lbs, and probably some strength with it.. :(

I hit 375x1 a few months ago, before I made a large strength increase. This was also after some sets to failure. So not a true max. It depends on the bench though and my position on the bench. If I move farther down the bench and keep an arch it feels more like a flat bench. Also, sometimes Ive done it where my feet are up on the prongs and knees are locked, legs straight. Makes it into a sort of standing incline press. I switch it up though.

To answer your other questions. 190-195lbs. Not sure of body fat so Ill post 3 of my most recent pics. I havent tested inclines after my strength increase, so Im guessing I can hit 315 close to 10 now. My incline always follows very close behind my flat bench. My bests were 315x6 and 275x13.5. Some of the others are in my signature below. The numbers are definately up now though. However, if I do the inclines on a strict bench and with little arch I might get 315 only 5 reps. It definately depends on a few factors.

4906213August2004_083-med.JPG

4906213August2004_049-med.JPG

4906213August2004_024-med.JPG

Last edited:
Illuminati said:
view...i hit 315 for the first time last thursday on incline. two weeks earlier i hit a PR on flat with 350. IMO i do not think that there is a direct correlation between what you can do for reps, and what your max out is. i rarely do reps, as i try to exert maximul force on the bar when benching, whether it be on my ME or DE day, i rarely go over 3 reps for pressing movement (im more into PL, but i throw in some BB stuff.)

how strong are your tri's and delts? it is popular belief that the chest muscles are the primary muscles doing the work for the bench press, this is wrong. the main function of the chest muscles is to bring the arms across the body, this is why fly movements, and crossovers work so well for hypertrophy of the chest. if you want a bigger bench, work on your tri's, and these are the muscles responsible for the majority of the pressing and locking out the weight. if you are getting stuck either right on your chest or 2-3" off your chest, work on your lats.

im 5'10" 213, bodyfat 10%, flat bench 350, inc. 315

I agree somewhat with what youre saying here..tris delts lats very important in building a big bench..but do you feel youve gotten signifcant growth out of cable crossover and flyes!!!! i cant say that true for me..if you want a big chest you gotta press..cable i think are a complete waste i see value in flyes helps strengthen the tie ins and iso the pecs..

ive been using dumbells lately but i go for 4 sets of 6 with the 90lb db's. im 5-11, 175 and 8-9% bf. anyone got any idea what this would equate to on bb? i dont access to a bench right now.

wnt2bBeast said:
I agree somewhat with what youre saying here..tris delts lats very important in building a big bench..but do you feel youve gotten signifcant growth out of cable crossover and flyes!!!! i cant say that true for me..if you want a big chest you gotta press..cable i think are a complete waste i see value in flyes helps strengthen the tie ins and iso the pecs..

yes i do feel as though i have gotten most of my chest growth from doing fly movements and pec deck. i think cable crossovers are a waste (ment to write pec deck in there.) if you have your elbows out more to the side (so that the upper arm makes more of a 90 degree angle with the torso) you will put more emphasis on the chest. i tend to keep mine at more of a 45.
here, this is a quote from a louie simmons article called "More Big Benches." below i have posted the link to the whole article. maybe this will help you to see where i am coming from...

"Let’s look back at the dynamic day. The ballistic benching is a supermaximal method and is not plyometric. Do not pause. The stretch reflex will last up to 2 seconds. The triceps are the most important muscle; do extensions. The lats are next in importance. They are responsible for placing the bar correctly on the chest. Over developed pecs take over the role of stabilizing the bar, thus resulting in more muscle tears. There is a need for some pec strength, but the lats and triceps must be the strongest. If your elbows turn out when you bench, placing most of the stress on the pecs, your lats are being removed from the lift and a minimax, or sticking point, occurs. This is where you miss the lift or a pec injury occurs. Also work the delts, with raises to the front, side, and rear, and do hammer curls for the forearms."

http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/ls27.htm

Top Bottom