Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

warmup for 1 rep max bench press

Metal Gear

How many sets and reps is it usually necessery to warm up for maxing out on the bench press? How much of your total strenghts % do you you warm up with befor doing the max?

Depends on the day. I usually stretch with just the bar then work my way up to 75-80% of max weight. I pyramid up and on some weights I may do more than one set if I feel I am not warmed up enough to move up.

:devil:
I went for 1 rep max on the bench last week. I didn't figure any percentages and I didn't want to burn up any strength, so I stretched out real good and got things underway like this. I put on 2-45's for 135x1, then 2 more 45's for 225x1, then 2 more 45's for 315x1 then finally 2 more 45's for 405x1 and that was my pr. It was chest day and I was still able to get a good workout in after this. I haven't tried this before so as it stands now 405 is it. My partner said I could have done more but I needed a starting point. Next month I will try this again and push more.

The last time i maxed out raw i went

bar for reps
135 for reps
225 for 10
315 for 5
405 for 5
455 for 2
500 for 2
535 for 1

you can figure the percentages but when i am not maxing out raw i would do 315 for 10 , 405 for 8 to 10 , 455 for 5 or however many i could get. So i cut down reps. Shirtin up is different, same all the way up to 455 then shirt 500 to stretch then 550 or opener if iam in a meet. Then go 600! Soi to answer stay about 3 to 5 reps from your rep out max on those numbers then as you get with in 75 lbs or so hit doubles then singles with in 25lbs. Hope i helped with my examples.

1 rep max

Yes, thank you that help me a lot. I figured the same thing. I usually don't try to max out on my bench because my shoulders hurt when I do heavy bench, but I like to try it once in a while. So basically workup to your max, but don't burn yourself out, just stay under a few reps and closer you get to the max, the more you should cut down on the reps. thanks.

The best warming up I've ever done is the Max-OT warm-up with a slight adjustment of my own.

If you're trying for 1RM at 100 lbs, it looks like this (remember two minutes break between each set):

12 reps at 50 lbs (4/8 of 100)
10 reps at 50 lbs (4/8 of 100)

6 reps at 62,5 lbs (5/8 of 100)
3 reps at 75 lbs (6/8 of 100)
1 rep at 87,5 lbs (7/8 of 100)

The first two sets are very easy warm-up sets based on volume and not weight. The second most important thing after warming up the muscles is not to fatigue them.

The next three sets are preparing your muscles for the job they are about to do. This is not warm-up, but equally important in preparation for doing your best. Notice, that the reps in these three sets added together (6+3+1) amount to less than half of the warm-up reps (12+10). This is very important, as we now gradually go from volume to weight, building up for the final show-down without depleting the muscles.

And after building up for it this way, you are ready for the final one rep with you new 1RM. Go for it!

Hi guys, sorry to interrupt the thread, but I've always wondered why warm-ups always work themselves upto triples. From what I've read you guys do a triple then go for a PR. But doesn't the triple fatigue you and lower your PR, or is it just me??

Thx,

-Zulu

Zulu>That's a good question. I think it's more because of habit than anything else. We're used to doing triples and it feels good, so we just think "triple" when we have to put a number on something.

But not everything in warm-ups are triples. Maybe I didn't make it clear in my warm-up program above, but the warm-up ends with a one, not at triple. The final set in my warm-up is 1 rep for 7/8 of the expected 1RM, that I'm about to do.

This is exactly because of the potential problem you point out. Namely, that doing triples with a weight close to your limit will definitely fatigue you. That's why I recommend a decrease in volume as the warm-up weight goes up. And when you get to your final warm-up set at almost 90% of your expected performance, you should do only one rep and then take a two minute break.

This is not an especially common way of warming up, and a lot of people has asked me if something was wrong, when I do only this one rep and then call another two minutes warning, but it works.

Top Bottom