Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

the miracle worker

RADAR

Unless you live under a rock, chances are you've heard about the powerful heart- healthy benefits of olive oil. You've also heard about the fat loss properties of olive oil.

First we'll tackle the health benefits, then we'll get to the waist line- reducing properties.
Olive oil is loaded with mono unsaturated fats which are known to slow or halt the oxidation of LDL cholesterol into it's artery clogging form.

Olive oil also contains chemical compounds known as phenolics. You may have heard them referred to as Polyphenols. Phenolics are thought to provide potent antioxidant properties as well as strong anti- inflammatory effects.

Huh?

Basically that means consistent intake of olive oil helps protect every cell in your body from damage. It also means you'll lower incidence of Heart Disease, Stroke, and certain types of Cancer and Diabetes
But don't run out and buy just any olive oil!
There are several types of olive oil, and they're not created equally.

When you head out to the supermarket or health food store next time, be sure to read the label carefully. Extra Virgin Olive Oil is the goods. Don't even bother with the other stuff.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil - considered the best; this oil comes from the first pressing of the olives

Virgin Olive Oil - from the second pressing. Decent amount of phenolics, but not the best.

Pure Olive Oil - undergoes some processing, such as filtering and refining, doesn't contain an appreciable amount of phenolics.

Extra Light Olive Oil - undergoes considerable processing and doesn't contain the valuable phenolics

A tablespoon of olive oil contains 120 calories,

14 grams of fat, and no cholesterol.

So how does olive oil help you lose fat?

Ahh.. the BIG question

Up until a few years ago, most of the studies involving olive oil were focused on the heart- healthy benefits and antioxidant properties.
However, because so much attention was focused on olive oil, it was found in recent studies that olive oil promotes better fat metabolism via the mitochondria in cells by helping to release energy as heat.

Yes, a great thing for those seeking to lose a few pounds.
Through the diverse chemical interactions and reactions of the body, uncoupling proteins ramp up caloric burn and force the body to burn off calories at a higher rate, rather than storing them as body fat.

Now, while reading that paragraph may seem like "the answer" to your fat loss needs, it's not license go out and start pounding olive oil.

I'd recommend starting out by substituting any fatty condiments and cooking you do with olive oil.

The effects of olive oil on fat loss are cumulative, and obviously must be added to a quality diet and exercise program.

:)
RADAR

"pounding olive oil"

love that quote, brings visions of protein shakes with a shot of olive oil... better than fish oil for taste if nothing else..

When is it best taken bro? ( during the day i mean )

And is it best to take it as a standalone supp or is it okay to do it with other supps? Does any thing affect its absorption?

When is it best taken bro? ( during the day i mean )

And is it best to take it as a standalone supp or is it okay to do it with other supps? Does any thing affect its absorption?

No,anytime with anything, I even add some to my protein shakes, Its a good sub for butter and you can even add a dash to your salad,I recommend you having a Salad twice daily, Use green leafy vegtables,onions,beets,carrots,brocoli all sliced into tiny pieces,and heres the catch,fill your bowl 1/4 way add your favorite dressing ,just enough to stir and cover everything, then add the rest ,repeat & stir ,add olive oil, you will find yourself using less dressing than pouring it all on top.
sprinkle some thin chedder on top and you're all set.

great post.

endless ways to use olive oil. soak garlic cloves in it for 24 hours then spread on (whole wheat) bread for real italian garlic bread, make an olive tapenade with a few different kinds of olives and garlic and chop up fine and load it up with olive oil. or make a bruschetta. olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, tomato, cracked pepper, rock salt, and lots of fresh basil. goes great on bread etc.

any more info on whether heating it is bad? a few years back when i was looking into it grapeseed oil was the only oil you could cook with and it still be healthy. but there are lots of ways to use unheated olive oil.

i luv the olive oil ;)

great post.

endless ways to use olive oil. soak garlic cloves in it for 24 hours then spread on (whole wheat) bread for real italian garlic bread, make an olive tapenade with a few different kinds of olives and garlic and chop up fine and load it up with olive oil. or make a bruschetta. olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, tomato, cracked pepper, rock salt, and lots of fresh basil. goes great on bread etc.

any more info on whether heating it is bad? a few years back when i was looking into it grapeseed oil was the only oil you could cook with and it still be healthy. but there are lots of ways to use unheated olive oil.

i luv the olive oil ;)

The smoke point of oil varies with its quality. High quality extra virgin olive oils (with low free fatty acids) have a high smoke point. They are an excellent choice, but an expensive one. Mass produced, low quality olive oils have a much lower smoke point.

extra virgin olive oil smokes roughly between 400 and 365ºF (204 and 185ºC) depending on its free fatty acid content. Here is what the International Olive Oil Council (IOOC) has to say about frying food with olive oil:

When heated, olive oil is the most stable fat, which means it stands up well to high frying temperatures. Its high smoke point (410ºF or 210ºC) is well above the ideal temperature for frying food (356ºF or 180ºC). The digestibility of olive oil is not affected when it is heated, even when it is re-used several times for frying

As a reference point, the table from the IOOC shows standard cooking temperatures:

Type of Food Cooking Temperature
High water content: vegetables, potatoes, fruit … Medium (266-293ºF or 130-145ºC)
Coated in batter, flour or breadcrumbs, forming a crust Hot (311-338ºF or 155-170ºC)
Small, quickly fried: small fish, croquettes Very Hot (347-374ºF or 175–190ºC)

Top Bottom