Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The Box Squat

spatts said:
For periformis work, I prefer to use a doubled mini band wrapped around the knees. The fault with "gym abductor and adductor machines" is that they don't force hip strength in the properplane. You need to have your hips lower than your knees to do this optimally. There are no gym machines set up that way that I know of.

As bigwh1tey mentioned, the first thing to move should be your head, back in to the bar.

...and you should end with the same arch you started with.

I'll check next time we go to the gym, but I believe that on ours your hips are lower than the knees; just lower the seat and put your knees on the upper part of the pad. Different strokes for different people, but I personally didn't think the band was getting me much--too easy until the very last part of the movement. I'm using the stack on our machines now for about 20 reps and holding them static at the out position. Cuthbert and I started doing these after I saw that Brent Mikesell did them. When we are done with them, we can barely walk around. I can't argue with his or our results.

I think the key to making the bands resistant through the whole movement is starting with your feet wide. At the beginning of the movement, my feet are like 3 feet apart and my knees are together, so I immediately start feeling resistance that just increases until I get my knees over where my feet are. Then I like to hold it for as long as I can too, because you're in the bottom of the squat for a while sometimes, especially in a box squat.

In terms of difficulty, I don't know anyone that can do it with a doubled pink. ;)

spatts said:
I think the key to making the bands resistant through the whole movement is starting with your feet wide. At the beginning of the movement, my feet are like 3 feet apart and my knees are together, so I immediately start feeling resistance that just increases until I get my knees over where my feet are. Then I like to hold it for as long as I can too, because you're in the bottom of the squat for a while sometimes, especially in a box squat.

In terms of difficulty, I don't know anyone that can do it with a doubled pink. ;)

good idea; I have not done them like that--now you've got me curious about how hard a double pink would be. :)

spatts said:
For periformis work, I prefer to use a doubled mini band wrapped around the knees. The fault with "gym abductor and adductor machines" is that they don't force hip strength in the properplane. You need to have your hips lower than your knees to do this optimally. There are no gym machines set up that way that I know of.

Thank you for elaborating on what I have already posted. This may have made it easier to understand for most.

:)

I don't think I elaborated on what you said, so much as contradicted it.

...but you're welcome. :)

spatts said:
I don't think I elaborated on what you said, so much as contradicted it.

...but you're welcome. :)

You DID elaborate SPATTS.

Honestly, I'm here to help. No reason to argue or look for things to pick at either. C'mon now???
---------------------------------------------------------------------
A simple "your welcome" would have been due without attempting to make yourself look "mighty". It doesn't make sense to me. Things like this make me not want to post here anymore.

PH, I have no idea what you're talking about. I was just pointing out that the paragraph you quoted me on was in opposition to what you said. If you can't participate in a debate without taking things personally, then yes, you should post elsewhere.

spatts said:
PH, I have no idea what you're talking about. I was just pointing out that the paragraph you quoted me on was in opposition to what you said. If you can't participate in a debate without taking things personally, then yes, you should post elsewhere.

You know EXACTLY what I am talking about.

(burp)

hey hammer, is that box stable enough when using the big weights? Looks like a coffee table man....:)

just kidding ya, but I usually see em with sides on them, would hate to see the lid give out on you mid set

352230.56683.jpg

Top Bottom