Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The Box Squat

I've got to start doing box squats again. I just have gotten realllly frustrated in the past. Can't sit back with a baby weight, really pisses me off. Anyway, I guess I'll start on a higher box and work my way down. And do those band exercises.

Mike_Rojas said:
I've got to start doing box squats again. I just have gotten realllly frustrated in the past. Can't sit back with a baby weight, really pisses me off. Anyway, I guess I'll start on a higher box and work my way down. And do those band exercises.

It isn't easy for me too actually. I think I just sit down a lot of times instead of back, takes practice I guess.

Also, my knees would come out a lot even with very light weight. Using the bands for hip abductors and starting with very light weight on box squats has definetely helped me a lot in the last month. :)

-sk

Mike_Rojas said:

The band exercises will help you activate the hips. I know you can squat free standing Mike but squatting this way will take some special activation and patience.

The weights will be there. They will always be heavy. 45 lbs is still going to be 45 lbs. When you spend your time on the higher box, gradually move down to a lower box. Time tells in this box squat game. If you put in the time you will reap the rewards of strong hips, hamstrings, and glutes along with an increase ion flexibility.

You can do it Mike. I have confidence in you.

sk* said:

It isn't easy for me too actually. I think I just sit down a lot of times instead of back, takes practice I guess.

Also, my knees would come out a lot even with very light weight. Using the bands for hip abductors and starting with very light weight on box squats has definetely helped me a lot in the last month. :)

-sk

The first day sk* started with the box his knees were coming in on EVERY set.

What did we do to help him?
I gave him a pair of my jumpstretch mini bands and taught him the hip activation exercise I have mentioned before on this thread.

Wouldn't you know that the same sk* came back 2 weeks later to perform box squats for speed with PERFECT form. Video never lies.

sk* is a true testament that with the right determination, perseverance, and intelligence that any goal can be accomplished. Just wait till' you see what he's doing a year from now!

.....yeah so lets get this thread back on track....

polish, i have noticed those things as well. for the past year and a half i have done relatively little stretching, however my hip and hamstring flexability is better in some planes than when i played football. wide stance box squats in general have played a large part in that.

mike, with sitting back if you find your self having trouble sitting back far enough you can start with a higher box and gradually work down until your hamstring flexability is up to par, and allows you to sit back on a lower box. keep in mind that you can sit back too far. when you get to the point that it is very difficult to go back anymore, flare your knees out to get to the box.

sk* said:

Also, my knees would come out a lot even with very light weight. Using the bands for hip abductors...

your hip abductors pull your hips out as it is, are you saying you did abduction work to get your hips out or you are doing them to keep them from going out?

bignate73 said:

your hip abductors pull your hips out as it is, are you saying you did abduction work to get your hips out or you are doing them to keep them from going out?

My knees would come in, even with 135lbs (sad I know). Working with the band and starting very low helped my knees stay stable. Slowly improving. :)

-sk

Just want to make sure I understand the band exercise:

-Sit on a low box with mini-band doubled around your knees
-Spread your feet Wide
-Do a "reverse thigh master" move sitting on the box

Is that right?

Yes Mike

I would personally recommend 3 sets of 20 reps per day. In 2 weeks your good to go. That's my word.

Give it a go man. Let me know if I am right. :)

Top Bottom