Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The Box Squat

b fold the truth said:
Tweakle: If I were teaching someone to squat...I'd teach them with the box.
Agreed.

Besides being a great exercise in and of themselves, they also teach you how to squat properly.
...chad...

1) chest up
2) head driven back into bar
3) arch as hard as possible, elbows pushing forward
4) Belly against belt
5) ass out
6) rip the floor apart
7) break at the hips
8) sit back back back
9) slight deload on the box
10) explode off the box.... ass, hams and hips
11) lead with the chest up

MsBeverlyHills said:
kinda hard to tell from that pic-- but your knees look really wide--like sumo stance or so. On box squats-- my stance is narrower- like shoulder width...is that wrong???

I take a W I D E stance on my box squats. My feet are pressed against the power rack. This W I D E stance enables me to recruit my hips into the movement more.

My advice to you MSBH would be to try and inch yourself out more each time you squat on the box. If you feel your knees coming in with the eccentric or concentric movements, use the abductor machine in the gym. Use it for high rep sets,verylow weight every day for two weeks. This will negate the hip weakness you have and over time will allow you to box squat wider and wider.

I did use this technique myself and since I do not have the machine available tome I used a jumpstretch band. Much better IMO bc as you sit lower and push outward with your knees on the band you will feel more of a hip recruitment. Most machines are built ONE way. Ahhh, the beauty of bands.

I hope that helped. :)

For periformis work, I prefer to use a doubled mini band wrapped around the knees. The fault with "gym abductor and adductor machines" is that they don't force hip strength in the properplane. You need to have your hips lower than your knees to do this optimally. There are no gym machines set up that way that I know of.

As bigwh1tey mentioned, the first thing to move should be your head, back in to the bar.

...and you should end with the same arch you started with.

spatts said:
For periformis work, I prefer to use a doubled mini band wrapped around the knees. The fault with "gym abductor and adductor machines" is that they don't force hip strength in the properplane. You need to have your hips lower than your knees to do this optimally. There are no gym machines set up that way that I know of.

rbrown and I use these machines anyway. They may not be optimum... but we have both noticed very positive results from doing them.

I know I have had less trouble with knees coming in, it used to be an issue for me.

Cuthbert

Why do you put it in an arch like that? I position myself the same as my squat, except i take a wider stance and sit BACK. Just trying to understand here :)

Cuthbert, don't get me wrong, it's a great exercise. It's just that most machines don't "break parallel." So I've seen some people increase their hips strength and flexibility on those machines, but only to the same degree as the depth of the machine. Once they get really low, it still gets harder and harder to spread them. The difference with the bands and sitting below parallel is that you're increasing strength and flexibility in an even lower plane than the machines can. It's a great option for those that don't have access to a machine too. I also think the bands are harder! Plus they rip out leg hair, if you have any, and that builds character.

spatts said:
Cuthbert, don't get me wrong, it's a great exercise. It's just that most machines don't "break parallel." So I've seen some people increase their hips strength and flexibility on those machines, but only to the same degree as the depth of the machine. Once they get really low, it still gets harder and harder to spread them. The difference with the bands and sitting below parallel is that you're increasing strength and flexibility in an even lower plane than the machines can. It's a great option for those that don't have access to a machine too. I also think the bands are harder! Plus they rip out leg hair, if you have any, and that builds character.

I HAVE been meaning to try the bands wrapped around my knees... but I am just a baby :fro:

Top Bottom