Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

taking LOTS of glutamine throughout the day

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WARBIRDWS6

would it be a bad idea to say take like 10-15 grams of glutamine every time you eat (like 6-7 times) ED while on low low cals and high protein??? i recall that non-peptide bond glutamine causes ammonia burden on the body. and that is not good i think. :) i already do the 15 grams post w/o and 10 grams pre bedtime...but wanted to incorporate it into the rest of the day. bad idea? or good?

hey warbird,

I read an article that glutamine is only useful when you take it first thing in the morning when your stomach is empty.

if you took all those doses throughout the day not all of it would be absorbed.

let me find you this link might add some light to your question?

After doing a quick search through a few places, none of them noted any toxicity seen with glutamine therapy, even at high doses.

What mtanda says is true though, at least so I've heard, that L-glutamine is more efficacious when taken on an empty stomach.

However, I've read that glutamine-peptides can be adsorbed eve nin the presence of food. Not sure where you can get it on it's own, I've only seen it added to protein powders.

Curious, why are you taking such a high dosage through out the day?

no you shouldn't have any problems with taking that high amount of glutamine as its already a free amino acid in the body. However reccomended dose is only like 15-20grams and thats before and after workouts. Therefore, you may be wasting some of it. I've used the powedered AST stuff for 3 months and couldn't tell any difference as far as better protein synthesis.

gsxr1000 said:
After doing a quick search through a few places, none of them noted any toxicity seen with glutamine therapy, even at high doses.

What mtanda says is true though, at least so I've heard, that L-glutamine is more efficacious when taken on an empty stomach.

However, I've read that glutamine-peptides can be adsorbed eve nin the presence of food. Not sure where you can get it on it's own, I've only seen it added to protein powders.

Curious, why are you taking such a high dosage through out the day?

to ward off catabolism on low cal diet. you know high protein and high glutamine. just a thought. the peptides are available....but pricey as all hell. more than gear, lol. maybe the peptide form will be available soon with a low price tag. :D

what is the relationship between glutamine and amonia levels in your blood?

WARBIRDWS6 said:

to ward off catabolism on low cal diet. you know high protein and high glutamine. just a thought. the peptides are available....but pricey as all hell. more than gear, lol. maybe the peptide form will be available soon with a low price tag. :D

Yeah, I knew about the anti-catabolic effects, I just thought that 70-90 grams og glutamine a day was a lot. Is the peptide available? From regular supplement places? Not really hell bent on getting it if it's overpriced but just curious, about how much?

Here's some info in regards to blood ammonia levels:

Glutamine is a nonessential amino acid, which means that it is manufactured from other amino acids in the liver; it does not have to be obtained directly through the diet.

Glutamate (glutamic acid) is converted in the liver to glutamine through the addition of ammonia. Therefore, glutamine is important in ammonia detoxification. Glutamine is also useful in the brain as a neurotransmitting substance.

Glutamine synthesis and degradation in the kidney help regulate the body's acid-base balance and electrolyte levels. Glutamine levels are higher in the blood than those of many other amino acids and are thought to play an important role in removing ammonia, which is the toxic metabolite from protein of tissues. The interconversion of glutamine and glutamate is dependent upon adequate levels of vitamin B-6.

Low levels of glutamine may be associated with increasing acidity and increased loss from the body of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, sodium, and potassium. Individuals with low levels of glutamine may be more susceptible to "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome" and need enhanced levels of vitamin B-6 to prevent this condition when they eat MSG-laden foods.

prophet said:
what is the relationship between glutamine and amonia levels in your blood?

i believe glutamine converts to ammonia rather quickly. degrades fast in water.
as for availability we got the peptides at GNC in the pro performance section....but for like a fortune. i'll look today at the price to gram ratio...but its REALLY bad. lol. youd have to take half the bottle basically to get a 10-15 gram dosage of glutamine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom