Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Stephan Korte's 3x3 First Week Progress and Apologies to All!

super_rice

I wholeheartedly apologize for not having keeping up with my promise, to consistently update my journal as I go through Korte's 3x3, as I don't think many here have tried this program yet (man, jump on the 5x5 bandwagon already if you haven't). I have been documenting it meticulously, but only in my "real life journal," if you will. I've started to document a lot more stuff by feel (CCJ - you're my hero! Sorry I haven't been reading for a while though, I love your power steering RPE measuring system :p).

OK: Some stuff I'd like to address.

This is my first week of Korte's 3x3. For my projected weights, I bumped more than what was originally laid out in the program because my lifts are raw, and I am a newbie, so (hopefully) my gains will be a little more drastic.

Bench:
Olympic Backsquat:
Conventional Deadlift:

5'8, 179, 17yrs

Now, Korte specifically talked about making slight adjustments to each day's workout.

I have the following down:

Monday: Close Grip Bench | Regular Backsquat | Deadlift Off 6" Platform
Wednesday: Regular Grip Bench | Rest Pause Backsquat | Conventional Deadlift
Friday: Wide Grip Bench | Regular Backsquat | Stiff Legged Deadlift

Currently, I am using 7 sets for each of the exercises. I plan on using 7 sets all next week till I get to the third week and then will attempt to add volume, going on to 8 sets of each exercise. (Abandon all hope) Good news is, workouts are taking less than 2 hours, around 1hour 45. A little longer with the squats rest paused (I am shit with the pause but I thought I'd throw them in for fun).

Alrighty, so one week in, and it got a little shotty when I did the squats rest paused, but I think I can pull through. Thank god for the smolov preparatory cycle, EVERYONE DO IT GODDAMNIT, your fitness level goes up five fold if you aren't used to it.

I'm waiting eagerly for any opportunities to add in more volume. Currently the only extra volume I can take are morning technique workouts oly style, working up to a ~60% snatch singles, and some oly stuff before the session.

All is well at current time, and believe me, this thing will kick your ass! The first session was hella easy, but then I got the idea in my head to throw in the wide grip bench, rest paused squats, deadlift platform, etc!

Hopefully, my work will result in, well, results!

OKAY. NOW I ACTUALLY HAVE A QUESTION

I think it will be necessary to add in a straight deloading week at the end of four weeks, because I will be trashed. I am planning a sleepathon, eatathon (not that it already hasn't been) of 1 week with 3 sessions light oly work, and then the kortes style days except in a 3x3 scheme at 60% intensity.

Thoughts?

To clarify, I would make one of the unload days like this:

(drop all modifications ie: rest pause)
Bench 60% 3x3
Squat 75% 1x2
Deadlift 60% 3x3

and the 1x2 @80% will be for bench and deadlift on the other two days. similar to the regular kortes except i just get an extra week with lighter intensity.

thanks for all replies!

so any opinions on the extra unload week?

and a little update: i woke up this morning and my entire lower body is a wreck. i have a topical nsaid and it has saved my life. right now i'm massaging and icing until my session. turns out i may be mentally and for the most part physically prepared but my joints are being a bitch. i thought young people didn't have this problem :\

It seemed to me that the program was kind of deloading by dropping back to 60% for the two support exercises on any given day during the intensity phase. I haven't done the Korte yet, though, so that's just speculation.

yes i know what you mean, that is what is meant i think.

problem is i don't know if i can handle the first one or two session following the four week loading. 5x5 is good, as the intensity first week has you already fairly recovered (at least mentally) from the loading phase, so you can handle a bit of a load. however, the first couple of sessions in korte's will have you under a lot of stress from the loading and having a lift in the 80%. i'm sure the workout would feel like nothing, and probably take less than 40 minutes to complete though, just not too sure about the first couple of sessions.

this program is refreshing though, finding out how far i can take the loading volume/intensity. it BETTER freaking pay off at the end. it's 10 times harder than the pendlay/madcow 5x5 in my opinion. personally i don't find the volume phases very fun, as i don't get to lift heavy weight.

oh, read the stuff by wade hanna, some good feedback there. anyone know if stephan korte is still active in the world?

I think that's a good idea.

And don't be so rigid an follow the plan exactly listen to your body and autoregulate things. Every person is different, some people just overreach with less and sooner.

I would keep the deload week as just two or even one workout. And 3x3 with those sort of loads almost seems like a waste of time :)
personally I would just go in and load up 50% on the bar and do a couple of sets of
10-15 to get the blood flow in there, which acts a bit like tempo work for CNS recovery and call it a day. Just 2 sessions in that week

thanks for the input. i will see how eerything plays out in the fourth week.

my body is adjusting to the spike in workload alright, it seems after each session recovery is faster and the workout itself is easier. my back is a little bit sore still though, i definately did something to it. i think that back rounding is taking a toll on me, i will have to tighten up my form a bit, or perhaps not go as deep until i get some oly shoes or when/if my flexibility improves.

As for form...

I'm finding that as I have been especially attentive to keeping upright on squat my workout-to-workout recovery seems to be improving even while the weights increase (my limiting factor has been lower back for as long as I can remember- sports, lifting, whatever). I was sure I was going to need to shift to a 2x/week scheme for weeks 8/9 of 5x5 but it's wednesday and I'm ready to go. So, my .02 would be to tighten form up (particularly as it relates to your lower back) and see if the same result occurs for you.

Top Bottom