Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Running 2 miles per day Detrimental to Squats?

miked8c

Would I notice any detrimental effects on my squat if I ran two miles each morning, excluding the morning of weight training days, where I would run post workout? Providing I up my calories slightly to accompany my running.

So essentially I would have run two miles the day before squatting, but not the day of.

Also, should I eat a little snack before running, or go for fasted cardio? The internet seems go go back and forth on fasted cardio.

Finally, I am not doing this to lose fat. I need to pass a Navy 1.5 mile running test and I want to make sure I am in good condition before I go in to do it. Thought this would be relevant so you guys would know that I am running purely for cardiovascular training and not fat loss.

I truly enjoy running, but I can never run consistently because I always imagine that I can't be strong while running consistently. I end up not running not because of laziness, but by guilting myself into the belief that my squats will suffer if I run often, any help guys? Is there any truth to this?

I don't think it will help your squats, but if you are running fast, hard, and short (ie for cardiovascular) it wouldnt be too detrimental

It sounds like you definitely want to run a bit to get faster for that test. But if I were you I'd do the minimum possible, maybe three 1.5 mile runs a week or something. That wouldnt negatively impact you much I dont think, when I did about that much cardio I was still able to progress well at the weights, although you may not be able to gain as much mass

I didn't read the 2nd part of your post.

the navy test is easy man. you will be fine. yes you will need to train ahead of it... i would recommend EOD running... long, slow, distance running... and also doing 400meter sprints, then jog 400, then 400 sprint, then jog. interval training. that will easily get you in shape to easily pass.

as far as your squatting, need to put that on the back burner for now.. the Navy doesn't care how much you can squat, they want guys who can run and swim and do some pushups which will be a breeze to any of us on here. once you are established you can go back to powerlifting like before. very few people fail the navy test

Its 1.5 miles as I am sure you know, but you recommend intervals, why's that? Just curious.

Also, my 5'9 200lbs. frame is not exactly the most efficient build for anything over a 100 meter sprint, in which case I fly.

You have any personal tips for bigger guys?

Last edited:
damn since its just a college test I wouldnt recommend doing all this long distance running. 2-3 fast 1.5 mile runs a week should be enough to pass the test. If you were looking to really ace the test then I'd do lots of preparation but since you are just looking to pass and stay big and strong dont do too much for the test.

interval training will strengthen your max heart rate speed.. I think i remember you were in your early 20's so your max heart rate is gonna be in the 180's.. intervals will get you up to 90% of your max rate and as you improve you will drop your times while mantaining the same heart rate.. that is how you get faster and why as you get older you lose your speed (since every year you age you lose 1 beat).

LSD (long slow distance) will improve your endurance... 40 minutes of a slow pace where you are getting your heart rate at 50-60% of max. I would do this EOD and alternate back and forth between LSD and interval training. this is exactly how I used to train when i ran 5K's.

when you run your 1.5 miles you will have the speed and endurance to get a great time. you should be running 80% of your heart rate when you do the test, so you aren't going max because you will run out of gas within a half mile so you need to conserve. whether 80% max heart rate means 10 minute pace or 6 minute pace is up to how strong you can improve your endurance and speed.

also be plenty hydrated before your run (make sure your pee is clear) and eat 2-3 hours prior something light and easy to digest like brown rice or sweet potato. this way you do not get sick. dont run on a full stomach!

only tip for bigger guys is RUN. don't worry about losing muscle right now. you've got ample muscle to kill the pushup part of the test, now you need to kick ass in the running.

DO NOT train on the elliptical, you need to train on a track for your intervals and for your LSD runs find a trail. treadmills are OK but unless your actual test is on a treadmill then you should be on a track.

and with interval training you can overtrain very quickly.. don't go overboard. do 1 lap at a consistent sprint getting ur HR up to 90%, then slow it down on lap 2 to a slow jog then back up a lap, then slow it back down. do 3 intervals which will be 6 total laps.. don't over do it. make sure you warm up with a brisk walk as well

^^^ thanks.. i used to compete in 5K's and half marathons. I used to train with a former ironman/marine who taught me a lot. his advice was spot on as I improved my 5K times very quickly with his guidance. had to give it up though cause of injuries and turned back to bodybuilding which is way less trauma on the ankles/feet/shins. too much pounding away caught up to me quick, thats why i tell people not to overtrain when they are trying to improve their times, there are no shortcuts.

Top Bottom