Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Lifting During Football Season?

ApplePie

I haven't lifted for about ten months now, and right now in the middle of football season I have an immense urge to start lifting again, except I'm worried about any negative effects it would have on the season.

I'm a 16 year old, 220lbs, 6ft linebacker, if that helps any..

Any opinions on routines I should be looking at? Any input at all would be appreciated, really.

Man, I don't live in the States, and I wish I did, because then I'd definitely have already had a coach draw up a routine for me...

Canadian and American football programs can't even be compared.

Playing in a summer league in Ontario right now, school season begins in September..

ApplePie said:
Man, I don't live in the States, and I wish I did, because then I'd definitely have already had a coach draw up a routine for me...

Canadian and American football programs can't even be compared.

Playing in a summer league in Ontario right now, school season begins in September..

Point taken...I would work out...and if you play backer, then deffinatly work on speed and strength

yea, we lifted in season but it was only the core lifts and at most 3 sets...low volume high intensity work...never anything that was too taxing...shit, you're a pretty big kid at 16...keep it up

peace,
CN

Your size and strength needs to be built off-season.....you should take a layoff during preseason for double sessions or training camp and focus on getting into "game shape", then in-season, just worry about maintaining your strength base, if you try to make gains and set PR's in-season, the risk of injury and/or being sore and fucked up for a game just isn't worth it, plus, unless you're a pro athlete with no other concerns like school, you probably will be pressed for time in-season.

To maintain your base, I would just do 5 sets of 5 on your core lifts 3 times a week. If you play on Saturdays, I would lift on Sun-Tues-Thurs, and come into a game on 48 hrs rest.

Not to be discouraging, but if you haven't lifted in 10 months and you're in mid-season now, you'll probably do more harm than good by starting to lift weights now with all the soreness and CNS adaptation you'll have to endure, just suck it up, learn from your mistakes, and begin an offseason program as soon as the season ends.

We had a powerlifting club in the winter months and I would get as string as I've ever been. Then 2-a-days would hit and I'd drop the weight in that two weeks alone lol. In season we lifted mainly for maintaining. The best lift days were the day after games. I would come in very sore and bruised, but after getting the blood flowing I would feel like a million bucks lol.

We had a powerlifting club in the winter months and I would get as string as I've ever been. Then 2-a-days would hit and I'd drop the weight in that two weeks alone lol. In season we lifted mainly for maintaining. The best lift days were the day after games. I would come in very sore and bruised, but after getting the blood flowing I would feel like a million bucks lol.

You aren't shitting about dropping weight during the 2 a days. I used to purposely come into camp overweight and drink nothing but Gatorade for 2 weeks just so I wouldn't be too thin by the time the season started.

During the season you should just be trying to maintain your strength. Practice/games will be all the cardio you really need. Eat and get yo rest.

Yeah, powerlifting techniques seem to help ball players, especially defensive backs, tremendously.

Top Bottom