Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Killed at the gym

Lol that "survival of the fittest" thing is great when it's not you or someone you love. Think of all the mistakes you made when you were younger. Imagine if this was you or your son. Just trying to give a different perspective:)

+2... so true.

how many people do you know who were automatically experts their first day? everyone's a dumbass when they first start something, especially something as intricate as weightlifting.

I see it often; not just with weightlifting, but especially (ESPECIALLY!!!!!) on motorcycles. I've been riding both dirt and sport bikes for over 30 years, and I think I know what I'm doing... And I see 16-year-olds going 110mph between stopped traffic on Los Angeles freeways, and I remember when I was 16, and rode 110mph (NOT between lanes of stopped traffic, but on a twisty road in Malibu), just to see what it felt like. I remember the feeling of "It can't happen to ME", and God willing, I never had a tragedy from it. It's testosterone and adrenaline which cause this stuff, and we all go through it or went through it. I see these young guys at the track, doing things that WILL land them in the emergency room, and cause them to live on with a ton of hardware in their arms & legs.... WHY? Because they need to find their limits, and they don't understand the bigger picture yet.

There's nothing anyone can say or do, to stop a kid from experimenting with his limits. All we can do is set a good example, and lay out the rules. That just doesn't always work, sadly. I have a 19-year-old nephew (wife's nephew actually), who spent 4 months in jail last year for racing his GSXR1000 up Hwy 14 at 145mph, and causing a CA Highway Patrol helicopter to have to get called in to chase him, and causing an accident trying to whip in & out of traffic as he was trying to get away and hide in a business district. He did it "because he thought he could, and the bike should have been fast enough". If he were my kid, I'd........ Well....... I don't know.

Charles

^^^ charles I don't think your comparison is the same.

your nephew was driving reckless and then trying to run from the police.. he was breaking atleast 2 laws and endangering others in the process.
this kid either had a heart attack while lifting or didn't know how to properly use the machine/how much weight he could lift.. he was breaking no laws.

not trying to nit pick just saying I think everyone on here is too harsh with this kid, as if he was doing something illegal. he was just trying to do what we all do several times a week.. workout.

but i get your point that kids think they are above the law. thats pretty normal, we've all done stuff as kids that we regretted cause of lack of experience.

in your nephews case spending 4 months in a filthy jail around other filthy people hopefully he learned his lesson. in this kids case he is dead and will never come back.

I guess I'm just a little jaded now days. A fellow lifter unless it's someone I admire or know, I feel nothing for if they get hurt or die.

I mean babies get their heads bashed in every day or starve to death and do I really care? No. If I lived there I'm sure I would, but I don't and I can't magically make myself feel anything for someone I don't know.

What happened to the kid is a tragedy, but killing yourself via smith machine takes talent. It's not so much the fact a 19 year old died lifting weights, but the exact machine and exercise that boggles my mind.

the fact that the bar landed on his neck probably means either:

He was benching to his neck and so he had no idea of how to properly perform the exercise. In this case people could say it was partly his fault for not getting advice or for being cocky and putting too much weight on etc

Or he realised there was no one else around and so opted to use the smith for safety. Didnt realise the safeties were gone until it was too late. Then since he couldnt roll the bar off himself like you would on a regular bench he tryed to slide himself down the bench and get out from underneath it but the bar got trapped on his neck and he couldnt move it. So he stayed there struggling until he died...

the second option would be my guess as to how it happened.

I guess I'm just a little jaded now days. A fellow lifter unless it's someone I admire or know, I feel nothing for if they get hurt or die.

I mean babies get their heads bashed in every day or starve to death and do I really care? No. If I lived there I'm sure I would, but I don't and I can't magically make myself feel anything for someone I don't know.

What happened to the kid is a tragedy, but killing yourself via smith machine takes talent. It's not so much the fact a 19 year old died lifting weights, but the exact machine and exercise that boggles my mind.

i get what you are saying. and this type of stuff happens ALL THE TIME. it just doesn't ever get reported cause gyms don't want it getting out.

^^^ charles I don't think your comparison is the same.

your nephew was driving reckless and then trying to run from the police.. he was breaking atleast 2 laws and endangering others in the process.
this kid either had a heart attack while lifting or didn't know how to properly use the machine/how much weight he could lift.. he was breaking no laws.

not trying to nit pick just saying I think everyone on here is too harsh with this kid, as if he was doing something illegal. he was just trying to do what we all do several times a week.. workout.

but i get your point that kids think they are above the law. thats pretty normal, we've all done stuff as kids that we regretted cause of lack of experience.

in your nephews case spending 4 months in a filthy jail around other filthy people hopefully he learned his lesson. in this kids case he is dead and will never come back.

True; I should have come up with a better comparison... I was trying to illustrate the "it will never happen to me" attitude that some or most of us went through as teens... Certainly I wasn't meaning to say the kid broke laws.

Charles

Just hit the news. sorry about the garbled url, can't post links yet

www dot wcax dot com/Global/story.asp?S=14141487

He was probably lifting it correctly. My guess is it was stuck on his sternum, he then decided the "quickest" way out would be to slide out from under it via sternum/neck/head route. The bar got stuck at his neck and at that position with no leverage and that much weight, there was no way for him to lift it enough to get his head under it. Add that to panic and now hes dead. RIP

Top Bottom