Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

how to improve HAND GRIP strength (holding a barbell)

grip stength from grippers = good for crushing strength...it's a whole different kind of gripping strength...does not directly translate into holding the bar longer, etc...just my 2 cents

Then why does it translate wonderfully for grappling opponents?

Nothing better than specifically training for what you want! I'd go with barbell static holds with a diameter the same as the one you're going to lift with normally.

Btw, I worked up to closing the #2.5 CoC with a credit card set and saw little to no improvement in holding the barbell. I had the best results when I switched my grip to just double overhand (not hook) and held it in the curl of my fingers, not my palms.

my .02 cents. I'm also no where near as strong as you :)

Then why does it translate wonderfully for grappling opponents?

That's different. I did martial arts for over 12 years....grippers give you great finger and hand strength for grappling and arm wrestling. I do both. I compete in arm wrestling now ad used used to fight.

It does not translate to lifting weights, i.e. deadlifting, etc...you need to do likewise to translate to lifting weights, i.e. static holds.

Thatbloke, your are freaking freak, mad props on getting to where you are, insanely strong, im as well going to do my first powerlifting comp in jan/fed, gonna enter 90 kg weight class, gotta drop 35 pounds.

do both hands at once and do one-armed ones...also farmers walk works great. AS heavy as you can. Try to do them with thick bars if possible. Your grip will be that much stronger.

if you plan on pulling over/under in competition (which i reccomend), then that is how you should train your static holds imo... i tried pulling a trap bar about 6 months ago and my grip didnt agree with it, most likely because now im used to the over/under... however, my dumbell grip has increased greatly during that time...
also like someone else suggested, drop the straps on your other back work like rows...
let us know how the powerlifting goes for you, i'd bet you do great...

Top Bottom