Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

how many sets of each

Sub-Zero

High End Bro
Platinum
i know there have been lots of threads like this but i cant find them in the search...

how many SETS for each group is good, like how many is needed for chest, then how many for biceps, then how many for triceps, how many for back, how many for legs(then if u do leg curls and leg extensions after how many would u need if uv squatted and stuff) how many for calves?oh yeah and traps and lower arms or anything i forgot

or is there not really a given ammount of sets necessary, and just go by feel...

sorryfor all the dumb threads lately, but help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

SublimeZM said:
i know there have been lots of threads like this but i cant find them in the search...

or is there not really a given ammount of sets necessary, and just go by feel...

Different strokes for different folks. There is no magic number that works univerally. Basically go by trial and error.

yeah thats what i thought, but then reading i also see people saying here thats not enough, or that is too much...

SublimeZM said:
yeah thats what i thought, but then reading i also see people saying here thats not enough, or that is too much...

The reason it's hard to say a certain numbr of sets is the right number is beacuse there is so many different variables for different people(age, experience, goals, nutrition, gear, etc.....)
My current breakdown is:
5 sets hams
5 sets quads
3 sets calves
12 sets chest
10 sets back
5 sets front delts
2 sets side delts
2 sets rear delts
9 sets biceps
9 sets triceps
3 sets traps

like for 5x5 it suggests doing 2 other exersises with 2 sets each for them..

well doing 9 sets for chest just doesnt seem like ive done anything after, or doing 9 sets for back doesnt seem like ive doen anything, and same for legs...

should i just go ahead and do what is suggested or do what feels right to me

Listen to your body. I will find a routine and make adjustments in it to fit me and my goals. I will add or subtract exercises, sets, etc., until I have something that I am comfortable with, and use that.

SublimeZM said:
like for 5x5 it suggests doing 2 other exersises with 2 sets each for them..

well doing 9 sets for chest just doesnt seem like ive done anything after, or doing 9 sets for back doesnt seem like ive doen anything, and same for legs...

should i just go ahead and do what is suggested or do what feels right to me

You said it yourself it suggests doing x amount of sets. Just do a little tweaking. I personally don't like the 5x5 because I don't feel that taxed after doing it either. I'm a big advocate for training to failure and 5x5 obviously isn't that. Like I said in my first reply different strokes for different folks.

alright last try...

i feel really good after doing my workouts, but my brother seems to think some of what i do is too many exersises/sets...

i know yovu said different strokes and all that, but for a 16 year old can you tell me if you think this is rediclous?

at first i had it to where i was gunna do:
5x5 flatbench
3 sets incline
3 sets decline
4 sets flys

for chest, but he said that was way too much, so i cahnged it to(and did today)
5x5 flatbench
3 incline
2 decline
3 flys.

is that way too many sets or does that fall reasonably under whatever feels good

SublimeZM said:
alright last try...

i feel really good after doing my workouts, but my brother seems to think some of what i do is too many exersises/sets...

i know yovu said different strokes and all that, but for a 16 year old can you tell me if you think this is rediclous?

at first i had it to where i was gunna do:
5x5 flatbench
3 sets incline
3 sets decline
4 sets flys

for chest, but he said that was way too much, so i cahnged it to(and did today)
5x5 flatbench
3 incline
2 decline
3 flys.

is that way too many sets or does that fall reasonably under whatever feels good

If it were a Yes or No question, I would say YES that`s too many sets. BUT it also has to do with the intensity of each set you`re doing. If you go to failure and BEYOND every set, OF COURSE it`s too much. If you go to failure on most, it`s still too much IMO

Also, if you`re a relative newbie like yourself that does`nt have the mind/muscle link I keep telling you about, you may not be taxing your muscles as well and efficiently as the more seasoned lifter. I can do One set and blow away a bodypart (not really but sort of), where you say you do ten sets and don`t feel it. Get those workouts in and you`ll get there in due time.

You say you don`t feel it, are your muscles fatigued to the point of getting weaker? Sometimes you don`t feel them but they are weaker. That means you`re working them properly during a workout.

IMO I would stick with something that works FOR SOMEONE else (such as the 5x5) because you don`t know what your body needs yet. As long as the weights keep going up, don`t worry about how you "feel". In time you`ll know what "fatigues" you and what gives you the workout you need by gauging your sets and reps with the 5X5.

Top Bottom