Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help me lose weight, please.

nodiggitydave

Hello,

I'm a 24 year old male from the United Kingdom.
I'm 6ft tall and I weigh 19 stone+ (120kg+, 266lbs+)
My scales only go up to 19 stone...

I used to be extremely active, I used to visit the gym 4 days a week, but I got extremely lazy, started eating junk food, cancelled my gym membership, lost contact with people I previously went to the gym with.

On top of that, I've been prescribed Olanzapine 10mg which has a side effect of gaining weight through increased appetite. I've gained 4 stone+ in the 9 months I've been on it. I put weight gain down to excess alcohol, inactivity and fast food.

But I joined a new gym 2 weeks ago!

The stretch marks on my hips and stomach prompted me to take serious action into losing some weight.

My plan? Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength (3x5) and lots of cardio. As you can imagine, I'm a big guy, I find running extremely difficult and can only go for a few minutes.

I also realise that while I'm "cutting", I'll be having slow gains of strength using the Rippetoe program, but from what I've read, doing compound lifts is the best bet, so I wouldn't have it any other way to be honest. I know not to f**k with the program.

My diet? It sucks. I'm a temp in a science lab with a limited kitchen, but we do have a canteen, but what they offer is also limited. (Apart from salad at lunch time which I think is great)

Diet:

8:00am - Oats in water, multivitamin, green tea extract, l carnitine, fish oil cap.
10:00am - 3 fried eggs on 2 pieces of white bread toast (need to change this)
12:00 - Jacket potato with tuna and a mixed salad (lettuce, red onion, peppers, cucumber, tomatoes)
3:00pm - Chicken Sandwich & protein bar
5.30pm - (pre workout) Banana, Orange, Fish oils, l carnitine.
7.00pm - (post workout) "Recover XS Shake" (Waxy Maize Starch: 50g, Whey Protein Isolate: 27g, Leucine: 5.5g, Amino acid: 4.5g, Creapure®: 3g, Vitamin C: 550mg, Electrolytes: 360mg)
8:00pm - Vegetables (brocolli, sweet potato) cous cous/rice, chicken breast.
10:00pm - "Total Protein" shake, see below.

Obviously fried eggs and white bread sucks. But I get hungry at 10am and this is the healthiest the canteen has to offer. I think they do scrambled egg so maybe I could swap to that without the bread... or I could use the fridge they have, take my own food in, have 200g chicken breast and some fruit/veggies?

As you can see there's a few supps in there, I went shopping recently and bought some to help with my weight loss. Heard good things about L Carnitine and Green Tea Extract, and also I hear Omega 3's are great for fat loss so I stocked up. I also bought some "Total Protein" which is: (Milk Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Egg White Powder)
I take this at night.

Well, what do you think? No beating about the bush, I'm a fat guy, with weight lifting experience, I'm doing starting strength with a guy who is happy to help me with my lifts. I haven't started cardio properly yet but my gym has good equipment. Rowing machines, stair masters, cross trainers, exercise bikes, treadmills.

I just need a push in the right direction and I hope to lose about 6 stone while holding onto what little muscle I have.
I know this is the diet forum but any guidance on cardio would be a god send.

Thanks to all in advance, I used this forum years back, so I know how great you guys all are.

A picture paints one thousand words...
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k22/charlielloydvictory/me/3.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k22/charlielloydvictory/me/2.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k22/charlielloydvictory/me/1.jpg

Last edited:
I'll try to hit a few things ...bear with me as I'm on the elliptical. If running doesn't work (it will one day again) try the elliptical cross trainer machine. Easy on the joints and u probably can watch tv while ur on it. I read on my phone, watch tv while I am doing elliptical and the bike. time flys by. I just finished 45 min of fairly diff lvl and it wasnt so bad cause I was distracted. I suggest u start doing at least 45 min a day of moderate to high difficulty and get ur lungs back in shape.

Totally take advantage of the fridge at work. The people that are in great shape always bring their meals.

Regarding ur fried egg dilemma, bring egg whites with hot sauce or some zero cal tasty sauce.

There will be others chiming in. I think in a few months youll be making some major changes in how u look and feel.

Sent from my htc t-bolt using the elitefitness app.

You can do it bro...but you need to make cardio your best friend and we need to tweak your nutrition a bit. Need to figure out your maintenance calories for you daily so we can make sure you are taking in the right amount for fat loss...need some additional homework here...can you figure out how many calories above is? Protein? Carbs? Fats? You need to get an understanding of this before you move forward. Forget supplements at moment...you need to ingest less and burn more! Keep working on your cardio duration...need to increase it gradually to keep progression? Are you confused???

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EliteFitness

I think you are getting ahead of yourself with the 5x5.
For right now your work outs need to revolve around calorie burn...so cardio and body weight exercises.
If you cant run...walk
Thats what i did. Map out a 3 mile corse (5k) and start walking in every day.
After you get comfortable with it then start trying to run a little bit of it...then run more and more until you can run it all.
Then a few months down the road when your ready to step up again add...
Push ups and pull ups on mondays
Chin ups and dips on Wednesdays
Body weight squats and lunges on Fridays
Start everything at 3 sets of 10 at first.
You will find that as you loose weight these type of exercises get easier and easier and this is very motivating.
this is what i did and i dropped 70lbs in a little over 4 months.
i looked just like you bro and now i have abs :)
It works if you stick with it but of course your diet MUST be spot on without exception. 85% of weight loose is diet so most of your time and effort should be in diet.
We will help you every step of the way bro. Just ask questions and keep us updated.

Thanks for the input guys.
I think I am going to try to build up to 45 minutes cardio on the cross trainer. 5 days a week. Still lifting the weights doing the 3x5...
Enjoying Squats, Military press, Bench and Deadlift. Can't hurt to stay strong. Too heavy to do pushups/dips/chinups.
Writing down my diet for you guys helped, I'd say I've managed to clean it up now I've seen it on "paper". More veg needed. No carbs after 5?
I think maybe I went a bit overboard on the supplements but they can only help. I'm drinking tonnes of water. Can't wait to get this stubborn weight gone so I can do a bit of bulking, would be nice to see some muscle again.

Update:
No difference on the scales. But feeling trimmer. Currently taking ECA stack for advanced weight loss. Plenty of green veg and lean meat.
I have shin splints at the moment from running on the treadmill, when I'm fully repaired (est 2 weeks) I'm going to start running outside, build the distance up. Hopefully I'll be able to do it every other day without burning out.

Fast Ways to Lose Weight do exist, in fact, you’ll be surprised at how many effective ways to lose weight quickly there actually are! As a person who’ve gone from size 12 to size 2, I’ve tried it all and this ultimate list of 65 Fast Ways to Lose Weight is all you need to lose weight fast and keep it off. So, whether you’ve just started losing weight, or you are just thinking about how you can lose weight quickly, here you will find all the safe, fast ways to lose weight you need. Start by implementing a couple of them and apply more of these weight loss tips as you progress. You’ll see the results quickly – in a matter of days and first weeks. And then you’ll know that these fast ways to lose weight started working for you. If you want to lose weight faster, all you need to do is add more of these tips to your daily routine and before you know it, you’ll achieve your weight loss goal!
get more info here

Supple Reviews
http://www.jointhealthmagazine.com/supple.html:qt:

Update:
No difference on the scales. But feeling trimmer. Currently taking ECA stack for advanced weight loss. Plenty of green veg and lean meat.
I have shin splints at the moment from running on the treadmill, when I'm fully repaired (est 2 weeks) I'm going to start running outside, build the distance up. Hopefully I'll be able to do it every other day without burning out.

Why don't u lay out your current diet dave. You should be down a few pounds/kg after a month.
What are your mealsl times, what do u eat and when do u lift? Also what other supps are u taking with the eca?

Sent from my htc t-bolt using the elitefitness app.

Hey bro(s),

I have dropped quite a few things from my diet after doing a bit of research. I think the protein before bed is needless. It's just calories I probably don't need. Also my research tells me that it is making my diet more acidic? Which could be preventing me from weight loss.

I'm drinking a gallon of water a day. Here's my amended diet:

8:00am - Multivitamin, green tea extract, ECA x2 (E- 25mg, C- 200mg, A-100mg)
No breakfast as I am fasting until lunch time. Thoughts? Oats? Protein shake?
12:00 - Tuna/egg/ham and a mixed salad (lettuce, red onion, carrots, cucumber, tomatoes)
2:30pm - ECA x2 (E- 25mg, C- 200mg, A-100mg)
3:00pm - Mixed Nuts OR Tinned Herring Fillets in sauce (high fat I imagine)
5.30pm - (pre workout) Banana, Orange, Fish oil cap.
7.00pm - (post workout) "Recover XS Shake" (Waxy Maize Starch: 50g, Whey Protein Isolate: 27g, Leucine: 5.5g, Amino acid: 4.5g, Creapure®: 3g, Vitamin C: 550mg, Electrolytes: 360mg)
7:30pm - Vegetables (broccoli/sweet potato/spinach/kale) chicken breast/lean meat. (Is pork okay?)

My workout is:
Mon: Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength (squats, bench/military, deadlifts/row, chins/dips)
Tues: Yuri Elkaim's treadmill trainer (HIIT) - Running/Walking Ratio of 1:2 (e.g 1 min run, 2 min walk) - 35 mins total time (inc. warm up/cooldown)
Wed: Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength (squats, bench/military, deadlifts/row, chins/dips)
Thurs: Yuri Elkaim's treadmill trainer (HIIT) - Running/Walking Ratio of 1:2 (e.g 1 min run, 2 min walk) - 35 mins total time (inc. warm up/cooldown)
Friday: Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength (squats, bench/military, deadlifts/row, chins/dips)

I'm lucky enough to have a 400m running track right outside my house (I know, I'm overweight, can you believe it?) And I run on GRASS :)
Did 35 minutes today with shins only aching slightly at the start but felt much better afterwards.
I think the treadmill battered them so I will try to run on grass only! FYI, "treadmill trainer" is basically an mp3 workout where Yuri tells you "run", "walk it out", "cooldown" over some music. Pretty helpful to me as there's no way I could run flat out for 20 minutes at my current weight.
I always workout after work... I'm too frigging lazy to get up in the morning to do morning cardio, I wish I could, especially after the ECA, I heard it's really beneficial. I'm going to be out of work because my contract ends soon, until I find more work I'm going to be practically living in the gym. May do uphill walking daily then go to the gym in the evenings for my weights session. I'm really enjoying the starting strength, I used to lift quite a bit a few years ago, so it's all about getting my strength back to where it was. I know the gains will be slow with the cardio and cutting diet, but I'd prefer to be doing the big lifts rather than some machine program. I have a guy who goes to the gym with me, he's doesn't want it as much as me though, sometimes he doesn't come, if that happens, on lifts like the bench press, I have to scale my weights back, which might be hurting my gains, but I'm going to pluck up the courage to ask a fellow gym rat for a spot if he's not around.

I think this has been pretty comprehensive, would like to post some more follow up pictures soon.

Thanks guys.

Devastated, tried doing my running today and shins are worse than they've ever been. Until they're fixed, I'm going to go out on my bike, or do walking uphill in the gym. I was really enjoying running as well! Legal high!

Top Bottom