Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

heavy weight low reps ?

bigbusdriver

i am doing heavy weight with low rep 4-6 for instance is this a good way to build mass

exmp chest
bar bell bench press
1x10-12x 50% max 2x4-6x75% max 3x2-4x85% max 4x10-12 x 50 % max
than i do inclines barbell the same way
than i do flys

for a total of about 12-15 sets for chest

Basically anything under 6 reps is going to train your nervous system more. Meaning you are going to get stronger, but mass may or may not come. Most people do best training in the 6-12 repetition range. This seems to be the optimal amount of repetitions for hypertrophy. Of course I am just generalizing here, as everyone is different.

word up edge crusher.

In my eyes 6-8 is best for hypertrophy AND mass,
anything above that is pretty much hypertrophy with a little strength......and under is the opposite (much strength little hypertrophy)

But also different muscles have different fast/slow twitch make up.......so not all muscle will react the same.
something like ham strings and abdonimals work better off lower reps

but as a general rule jeah its cool.

hey edge crusher.......does your name have anything to do with XstraightedgeX???????????

Scientific studies have shown that training with a 8-10 rep range is most conducive for building muscle; training in the 4-6 rep range is more beneficial for strength gains. However, in my opinion I find that if you train using 8-10 reps on every set it is very difficult to move up to a higher weight. In order to keep progressing I think it is important to mix up your reps. Train for a while using heavy weights at low reps then change to a slightly lower weight using higher reps. Or combine both rep ranges in the same workout. The important thing is that you need to keep trying to shock your body with different movements and weight.

mixing the reps

Sniper, about mixing the repranges in one workout,
what do you prefer?

I like to do 8 - 4 - 4 - 10 for powerexercises and 10 - 6 - 6 - 12 for isolation movements

Too many sets: try something like 6 sets with a range of 6-8 reps.
Remember that strenght goes together with the mass, the more you train for strenght in a 6-8 reps range the more the mass will come along with.

Every sets must be carried to the break down.

I agree with everyone else. Except I do more reps (about 15 or so) for calves due to the higher number of slow twitch muscle fibers. I also do higher reps for traps (12 or a little more for traps usually), but I'd be interested to hear other opinions on that one.

Nathan: Personally I train traps w/ heavy weight and lower reps. However, my backround is mostly powerlifting, and genetically speaking that is one of my good areas.

Endpoint: My handle has nothing to do w/straight edgers. It is an old Fear Factory song, however I do give straight edges alot of credit for being, and doing what they believe in.

When u gain strength u gain mass, dont do more then 12 reps, if you can do more then 11-12 then u are using to little weigth plus if you do more then 12 reps you are building "slim" muscles. i would say that 8-10 reps are good, were the 10th rep is really tuff, i mean you should not be able to move the weigth:) .

Thats how i feel anyway

Thanks guys. I guess I'll reduce the reps for shrugs. I've always failed at about 6-10 reps for upright rows, so at least that was on the mark.

Top Bottom