Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Finding your actual body comp

OTCbooty

We ask/read all sorts of BF questions around here, so what's one more?

I'm one of those folks who has managed to get fairly lean everywhere but my butt/saddlebag area. I use a 7 site test, using pectoral, abdominal, thigh, tricep, subscap, midaxilla, and suprailiac measurements, which tells me my BF is 12 to 13.4%, depending on which equation is used. So a woman who has all the same readings as I have, but without the fat ass, will have the same BF reading, which of course can't be true.

So does anyone know how, short of hydrostatic weighing, to get a more accurate idea? I've just been using the readings to monitor the change, but it would be nice to have a more solid idea what it is.

Speaking of decreasing body fat, I bought my first A-cup bras this weekend :worried: Was starting to rattle around inside the old 36 B's.

:wavey:Where's the IBTC welcoming committee?

I feel your pain!

I used to be a 36D and then dropped 30 pounds. I'm now a 34B! Ugh. I'm saving for implants though. :)

I've got the same BF problem (I carry the majority of my fat in my hips, glutes, and upper thighs..right under my butt!). I'm about to start taking Yohimbe to help (that and busting my butt with a new cardio routine). My B/F checked my BF% using the calipers and it was 14%. I don't think that can be too accurate. There isn't a place around here for the hydrostatic measurement. I set up an appointment today to have my bf% checked by a trainer at the gym..but I really don't trust their method in measuring women. I know they know their stuff when it comes to the guys..but I want an accurate measurement, too!

OTCbooty said:
Speaking of decreasing body fat, I bought my first A-cup bras this weekend :worried: Was starting to rattle around inside the old 36 B's.

:wavey:Where's the IBTC welcoming committee?

I dropped from a comfy B to an A also, after losing some major B/f---so depressing, but those are usually the first thing to go. I bought me some new ones.....best $3,000 we have ever spent.

I use to belong to the IBTC.....but had to drop out to the larger C department ;)

well i always have and always will be a 30B... i think

welcome :) :wavey:

for a mere $5.95 an issue you can receive the official IBTC magazine... featuring such critical topics as what to do when your big chested friends are jealous you don't have to wear a bra... and tips for large breasted women to look smaller, from duct tape to breast reduction surgery...
also browse the q&a section that feature such questions as: help! my aureola's are larger than my breasts!

:D

UW is the most accurate provided you get the residual volume measure correct and bone density and total body water are normal. In a research setting, all of those variables are measured.

You are correct OTC that skinfolds can be a problem and that is why they are population specific. For example, a formula designed for Caucasian women will not work on African American because the body fat distribution is different.

Skinfold equations are developed using UW weighing on a number of subjects from a sub-population (male, female, specific race, athletic, age, etc.). Then, to get accurate measures, someone that knows what they are doing must take the skinfolds in the same anatomical location that was used in the study with the same calipers on the same population of subjects. Otherwise, the results can be in serious error.

W6

You are correct OTC that skinfolds can be a problem and that is why they are population specific. For example, a formula designed for Caucasian women will not work on African American because the body fat distribution is different.
Well, my fat distribution is definitely typical of my demographic, but I guess it's darn near impossible to tell exactly how fat one's butt can be before it begins to affect the accuracy of the reading.

So, you mean to tell me there's no equation where I can take the caliper measure of my butt, multiple by 7, divide by pi, add the total to my current results and have an accurate BF%?

Skinfold equations are developed using UW weighing on a number of subjects from a sub-population (male, female, specific race, athletic, age, etc.). Then, to get accurate measures, someone that knows what they are doing must take the skinfolds in the same anatomical location that was used in the study with the same calipers on the same population of subjects. Otherwise, the results can be in serious error.
I think I have all these bases covered. Typically the Mr. tests it using the graphs that came with the calipers, but I had a trainer friend double check him with the same materials and the readings were "spot on," so I continue to have the hubby do it. The friend also tested me with his calipers the other day (using a formula he said was more accurate for conditioned athletes with higher LBM??? or something along those lines), and that test yeilded the lower reading.

Thanks for the info, w6.

Top Bottom