Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Deadlifts&Squats Wont Progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExtraMile

High End Bro
Platinum
Both of them Im just not progressing and Im in the same place I was at xmas for squats and behind that on deadlifts, any ideas? SaiBoT suggested it might be my core, Iv started doing weighted core circuits but I never used to wear a belt and they never progresses a huge chunk at a time so there isnt any special reason my core might be behind, I thought I may be overtraining so I stopped deadlifting for a month and no change just ended up behind were I was before, maybe its my hamstrings as they are involved in both lifts but my RDL isnt very far at all behind my normal DL. Iv recently upped the frequency so I DL three times every two weeks instead of once a week and no change, Iv tryed using a belt on squats to see if i do better with my core taken out and still no real change.

Heres what I ate today as a typical example of my diet, Im trying to go a little lower on carbs especially later in the day as I want to loose some BF.

After Waking (9.30am)
3 slices melon
20g whey in 500ml milk
1 cup coffee
1 dose green tea extract

12.00pm
1 cup oats w/ 2 cups whole milk made into porridge
1 medium orange
2g fish oil
1 multivitamin

3.30pm
1 chicken breast w/ rice

5.20pm
1 apple
1 cup cofee
30g cheese
1 baby bell lol
2g fish oil

7.00pm (30 mins pre workout)
1 bowl cereal
20g whey in water
1 dose green tea extract

9.00pm (post workout)
few squares chocolate
8.5oz steak
small portion cous-cous
medium portion green beans & spring onion

11.00pm
300g cottage cheese
1 dose green tea extract
2g fish oil

maybe need a little more protein I know as thats only around 205g protein and Im around 175lb bodyweight so thats like 1.2xbodyweight...

Any ideas?

Rep Range for squats is 3x5 on one workout wide stance to parrallel, 1x20, 1x15, 1x10-12, 1x6-10 on the other with narrower BB style stance and trying to keep constant tension, almost ATG. Rep Range for deads is 1x5 and rep range for RDL is 2x6

Iv only done HIIT once bro :)

only 1 set of 5 on deads??? and only 3 sets of 5 on squats? Just drop the reps and up the weight. Throw more weight on the bar and do as many as you can.

might be time to leave both exercises and work others to strengthen auxillary muscles. start training one leg at a time: single leg squats, step ups, walking lunges, etc. after a few months go back.

only 1 set of 5 on deads??? and only 3 sets of 5 on squats? Just drop the reps and up the weight. Throw more weight on the bar and do as many as you can.

1 set 5 reps deads yeah followed by 2 sets RDL. 3 sets 5 reps squats yes.

So change to say 1x3 deads and 3x3 squats? or more sets or what?

Since you've totally stalled, I would even try doubles a few times or the occasional single if 3x doesn't do it. You want to stimulate your CNS so that it knows what it feels like pull to more weight. Just do whichever feels comfortable/seems to work.

Are there any specific times on either lift that = failure or are you just plateaued?

might be time to leave both exercises and work others to strengthen auxillary muscles. start training one leg at a time: single leg squats, step ups, walking lunges, etc. after a few months go back.

Single leg stuff is kinda hard for me, I had a brain tumour a few years back and my balance has never fully recovered, lunges are ok, I often wobble a bit but I can steady myself, iv got no home for 1 legged squats though...
I was thinking of changing for in direct exercises but I was just gonna do box squats and either deficit deads or rack pulls...

Since you've totally stalled, I would even try doubles a few times or the occasional single if 3x doesn't do it. You want to stimulate your CNS so that it knows what it feels like pull to more weight. Just do whichever feels comfortable/seems to work.

Are there any specific times on either lift that = failure or are you just plateaued?

do you think heavy singles and doubles are safe for a 14 year old?

and im not quite sure what you mean by specific times, if you mean how many reps do i get through that depends, on squats usually 95kg which is like 215lbs i get 2 reps then 3rd takes either ages to complete or i just get stuck half way up. with deads its differant, iv never failed just my form goes shit and my back rounds...

do you think heavy singles and doubles are safe for a 14 year old?

Most def. no. My bad, I forgot about your age.

To the other question, sort of what I'm looking for. If you can figure out what causes you to lose it then you can try to attack that weakness. At your age, I'd hesitate on getting too fancy though. (My bad again, sort of) You guys can work it through without having to tweak a great deal.

On your squat, for instance, what people often try is to box squat with the box set to the height where they get stuck.

Deads : Keep working on your core. Since you can get it off the ground, you could try rack DL with the pins set just below the point where the weight starts to get uncomfortable.

These partial lifts are a way to give weak areas more work without having to wear yourself out on the entire lift.

Box squats you can do on your higher rep day. They're usually done 8-10 sets of 3 with short rest between sets. You can't go as heavy on a box squat so by increasing intensity this way you're looking to improve your power while maximizing your strength return. (The first rep in a set is always the hardest, so this way you have to do a lot of them.)

Rack DL you could try on your B day also, or whenever you feel the need for a break from the floor.

Anyway, I wouldn't try all this with trying BK's idea first. The simpler solution is usually best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom