Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Why do we eat so much protein when bulking on cycle?

MaxxReps

Ok so I get why we eat a ton of protein while cutting, that makes sense to me but I'm struggling a bit wondering why we need over 1g / lb bodyweight / day while bulking.

First, lets make some assumptions.

I did read somewhere that muscle is 75% water. This I believe and sounds reasonable.

Lets say that all lean weight we keep after our run is over is muscle (which it isn't - close, yes but we also have increased blood volume and I do believe there may be bone density / marrow differences as well).

So lets say that we can gain and keep a lean lb/week (which there is no way I think we can do cycle after cycle but lets just say)

Lets say that we need to get our full amino acid profile from our diet (which we don't - we only really need the essential AA's plus *maybe* the conditional AA's because we are growing).

I do get that we don't have a mechanism to store AA's so we want to have a constant stream while on cycle and especially leucine to keep protein synthesis going but 1lb week of muscle is only 120g tops dry tissue which if we spread out over 5 days of working out (planning for worst case) thats only 24g grams of dry muscle possible per day.

I would think that in the standard bodybuilder eating style of 6 meals per day if we hit 30g animal source protein per meal that we should have plenty of AA's available for constant protein synthesis.

Am I missing something?

Most people are afraid of carbs. But on a bulk, carbs are king. Protein is important for sure. But carbs is where you grow. I'm 200 lbs and start my bulk at around 250-300 protein and at least 400 carb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

because the supplement industry has force fed the myth that you need 2-2.5g of protein everyday so we continue to buy their fart powders

you are right. we don't need that much. we actually get plenty of protein in north america, what we don't get enough of is sleep and green veggies

When you are using steroids, your body's muscle protein synthesis is increased and your body can absorb and utilize more protein then someone who is not using steroids.

That being said, when you are bulking and in a calorie surplus, your body has lots of carbs and fats to use for energy so all the protein you eat will be used to build/repair muscle. You are 100% correct that you don't need as much protein when bulking vs cutting.

I recommend 1-1.5g of protein per pound of body weight when bulking and 1.5-2g of protein per pound of body weight when cutting.

I tend to agree that 1g is good enough for most people. I will push it to 1.5g when I am bulking but that may be more of a comfort thing mentally to not feel like gains are being left on the table.

I think a lot of times we really analyze things too much in this sport. Sometimes keeping it simple and not worrying so much about every detail is a good change.

I think a lot of times we really analyze things too much in this sport. Sometimes keeping it simple and not worrying so much about every detail is a good change.

True, and guilty .. However I really try to cut through the broscience and marketing crap and understand the why's.

Also, my goal is long term success and lets face it - meat is expensive and unless you are always eating the leanest, it can sometimes be challenging to work into a calorie controlled diet.

Prior to now I always shot for 2-2.5g/lb bw and at 200+ I think was consuming an unnecessary amount. 1.5g/lb *just in case* sounds completely reasonable.

I think it also highly depends whether you are on cycle or not. A person who is running gear will have a much higher protein turnover rate, so therefore more protein might be needed to utilise the process.

In addition to that, people with faster metabolism could build muscle faster and could consume higher amounts. There is no formula that will fit everyone.

Top Bottom