Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Trex workout log

Thanks guys, it means a lot to me.

I was stoked about the deadlift. And I think I'll slap on another 20 next week to make it 115.
And full on 80 lbs for squats too.

Question, why.how did my hams get so friggin imbalanced?
Anyone have a similar imbalance, and have ideas/experience on how to remedy this. Just train them more?Or whot?

I might have missed where you first raised this topic. Since you mention training them more I take it you feel your hams are under developed relative to quads?

If so I'd do SLDL's instead of curls. The former are a more potent mass builder than leg curls IMO. You need to ensure you perform the movement properly though or it becomes much more of an erectors workout and less of a ham workout than it should.

I might have missed where you first raised this topic. Since you mention training them more I take it you feel your hams are under developed relative to quads?

If so I'd do SLDL's instead of curls. The former are a more potent mass builder than leg curls IMO. You need to ensure you perform the movement properly though or it becomes much more of an erectors workout and less of a ham workout than it should.

I'll give em a whirl, so what you are saying is SL over regular deadlift?
I am pretty much learning form from Strength Training Anatomy and Exercise rx so its a learning process as far as form is concerned.
So, like, stand on a small platform, deep breath to make a block, bend from hips then lower trunk, slide bar up along shins, etc?
Any tips on the SLDL as far as form is concerned for the first time?
Thanks RW, I really value your input :)

I spent till midnight in the hospital last night with my husband- his resting heart rate was 155, so they had to put him to sleep and then give him an electric shock to bring his heart rate down. It was really surreal watching them do this. It went back down to 90ish or so, which is still high. but better. he's seeing the cardiologist again today thank goodness.
It's my grandma's funeral today as well.
No workout today needless to say. But it's still nice to come in and chat. :)
I'm trying a spinning class tomorrow morning with a coworker. I hear that some people puke.
I say bring it on!!!!! haha

SLDL's isolate hams more than conventional deads. You just want to look at your lifestyle in a hollistic manner to try to determine if you're actually overtraining hams. Do you get enough sleep, are you making any strength gains overall and are you making any in your leg curls, etc. If you decide you might be undertraining them a bit, SLDL's might be a good add. I would not recommend you try to do them in the same workout as regular deads though. Maybe do deads one leg workout and the next do only SLDL's.

Regarding form, you want to ensure the bar moves in a perfectly vertical fashion and your hips move backward as the bar descends. If you find the bar is moving outward over your toes as it descends you are not using hams enough and making it more of a good morning. You should really feel a good, strong activation of the hams at the bottom of the movement. You really don't need much weight at all to get a good SLDL workout. Loading up the bar will just encourage you to unconsciously start to try to use the erectors to get the bar up. Try 50% of your conventional deads weight to start and see how that feels.

Perfect, thanks, I'll try them next leg day!!

I'll give em a whirl, so what you are saying is SL over regular deadlift?
I am pretty much learning form from Strength Training Anatomy and Exercise rx so its a learning process as far as form is concerned.
So, like, stand on a small platform, deep breath to make a block, bend from hips then lower trunk, slide bar up along shins, etc?
Any tips on the SLDL as far as form is concerned for the first time?
Thanks RW, I really value your input :)

SLDL's isolate hams more than conventional deads. You just want to look at your lifestyle in a hollistic manner to try to determine if you're actually overtraining hams. Do you get enough sleep, are you making any strength gains overall and are you making any in your leg curls, etc. If you decide you might be undertraining them a bit, SLDL's might be a good add. I would not recommend you try to do them in the same workout as regular deads though. Maybe do deads one leg workout and the next do only SLDL's.

Regarding form, you want to ensure the bar moves in a perfectly vertical fashion and your hips move backward as the bar descends. If you find the bar is moving outward over your toes as it descends you are not using hams enough and making it more of a good morning. You should really feel a good, strong activation of the hams at the bottom of the movement. You really don't need much weight at all to get a good SLDL workout. Loading up the bar will just encourage you to unconsciously start to try to use the erectors to get the bar up. Try 50% of your conventional deads weight to start and see how that feels.

Today I'm going at lunch, so I'm posting in advance....
Chest and back, I anticipate trying to up my reps in 25 lb DB presses, i haven't made it to 4 x 10 yet, I fail at around 8 each time, so I'm trying to increase reps there.I'm going to do some machine flies for chest, and try to up the weight to 45 lbs.
I am going to do reg deadlifts today, on back day, and on Wed, do the SLDL like Rotten Willow suggested. So, I'll probably do 95 again, as it really left me sore and exhausted.
Seated rows and Lat pulldowns to finish off back. Not sure what weight I'll be pulling, as it usually depends on how I'm feeling at the time.
If I get a chance later I'll update with weight.
:D Time to caffinate with a litre of green tea haha

So the 25 lb db presses, I managed 10, 8, 8, then 10 with 20 pounders
flies stayed at 40
seated rows- 80 lbs 3x 10, 70 x 10
lat pulldowns 60 x 10, then 70 lbs 3 x 10
deadlifts 95 lbs 3 x 7 then 115 lbs for 1 set of 7
woo!

So the 25 lb db presses, I managed 10, 8, 8, then 10 with 20 pounders
flies stayed at 40
seated rows- 80 lbs 3x 10, 70 x 10
lat pulldowns 60 x 10, then 70 lbs 3 x 10
deadlifts 95 lbs 3 x 7 then 115 lbs for 1 set of 7
woo!

Good job girl!! I love that feeling of lifting heavy and knowing you did something bigger and better!

So just cardio today, I only did 30 min because I wanted to try and stretch out some of the soreness in my shoulders/back.
Had some lingering twinges from last week, and then with the DLs yesterday, my right shoulder in particular is feeling a weensy bit strained. So I got all warm from the cardio, stretched it all out and popped an Advil. It doesn't actually hurt, but it is somewhat sore and tender when I move it, or lie on it.
Considering a modified shoulder w/o on Friday if it is still bothering me.

Good job girl!! I love that feeling of lifting heavy and knowing you did something bigger and better!

Thanks! I did feel very awesome and superhero-ish. haha

Top Bottom