Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Stop Starving Yourself

Tatyana

Elite Mentor
I just came across a really interesting paper relating to diet.

They had people carry on with their typical diets, and instead of doing the typical thing and decreasing calories and then measuring body composition later, they INCREASED the amount of calories that the group of people ate by 300 calories.

There were three groups of 90 people so the results are significant. These were the typical couch potatoe type of Americans in their 40s and 50s.

1 - 300 extra calories from whey protein (2x 30 g of whey protein concentrate)

2 - 300 extra calories from soy protein (2x 30 g of soy protein isolate)

3 - 300 extra calories a day from carbohydrates (2x 30 g of maltodextrin)

After 6 months with NO changes at all in their lifestyle, so if they didn't exercise, they continued not to exercise, eating the same etc.

1- lost weight and the loss was 100% fat

2 - weight didn't change with a slight trend to weight loss

3 - gained weight, but not the 23 lbs that would be predicted by the typical calories theory of weight loss and weight gained

This happens as digesting protein takes 25-30%, carbohydrates take 9-12% and fat takes 2-3% of its caloric value to digest.

It is more effective to change your body composition by generating metabolic inefficiencies than using a calorie deficit.

Calorie restriction is not the only way to lose weight. There is a whole hormonal milieu in the body that will affect fat loss.

I have said that there is no magic macronutrient combination, and I realise that I have been assuming that people are eating enough protein.

There actually is a magic macronutrient ratio. You increase the amount of protein you eat each day.

This study took people from approximatly 15% of their daily calories from protein to 35% of their calories from protein.

I assert most typical women don't even eat 15% a day.

This does not mean exclude all other macronutrients, you need all of them.

This is the other issue with the newly emerging science of metabolic profiling. Some people are sugar/carb burners, some people are fat burners and some people are mixed metabolisers that can eat both quite easily.

You may do well on a low carb/keto diet, you may do better with some good quality carbohydrates in your diet.

However, I really doubt most people could maintain a ketogenic diet for their lifetime. People get tired of dieting, stop dieting and then go back to what they ate before, and typically gain more weight (especially if you have been on a severe calorie restriction).

This is what is possible

1. Reduce the amount of fructose you eat each day

2. Reduce the amount of carbohydrate you eat by 10-20%

3. Aim for a macronutrient ratio of 35-40% protein/20-30% fat/30-35% carbohydrates

Oh yes, and the whole kcal thing is a completely artificial construct. It is a bit useful, but it isn't an exact science, it is highly inaccurate.

Can totally believe it. Eating 120 grams a day of whey protein concentrate and/or egg whites, and no more than 125g of low GI carbs daily I eventually dropped from about 17-18%bf to about 12% bf. Once getting that low I have actually managed to gain 4lbs of lbm while only gaining back about 2lbs of fat. I should add I do not do cardio at all.

This whole high protein low carb thing really works.

Wow amazing post thank you for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone

Top Bottom