Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Pushing thru without the use of your spot

tripleV

Im very happy with what ive been noticing. The reps where I usually need a spot to help me finish, like when I think im MOFO finished, thats it, lets pump out another with a spot just for the hell of it, right?

well these days,,,,,,i tell my spot to not Frickin touch anything.....its like ive gained the advantage to push everything through, slowly, difficultly, painfully, burningly, but it gets there.......ive also overcame a bit of fear in that aspect.

i also think to myself......ill be so pissed if he has to touch that weight and theres no way im doing that.

I know some of you dont have spots, but do you go for ones you may not think you'll get.......

I agree BigSatan.... sucks not having a training partner or a competent spotter.

Shit I asked a trainer guy at the gym the other day (he looked like he knew how to properly spot someone.....NOT) for a spot on my last heavy set of squats. I told him that I had not gone that heavy in a loooong time and to come up behind me and extend his arms in front with them below my armpits but not to "help me" unless I needed it. I kidded with him that it was ok to touch me, I realized that it was ONLY a spot and NOT A DATE.

The MOTHERFUCKER ALMOST HAD ME FUCKING KILL MYSELF! He was like 2 feet behind me with his HANDS underneath my pits.... not even touching my body! WTF?!?!

IF I TELL YOU TO STAND CLOSE BEHIND ME AND TOUCH MY FUCKING BODY....THEN YOU'D BETTER GODDAMNED WELL DO IT!!!!!

After I almost DIED, I yelled at him to do it PROPERLY and by then I was shot - my form was PISS POOR... I completed my SORRY EXCUSE for 6 reps, racked the weight, thanked him for the MISERABLE SPOT (I was polite and only THOUGHT it!) and then he ran away and hid in his little cubicle until I left the gym.

Miserable bastard was probably afraid that I would fucking crush his pussy spine!

bikinimom said:
I agree BigSatan.... sucks not having a training partner or a competent spotter.

I told him to come up behind me and extend his arms in front with them below my armpits but not to "help me" unless I needed it. I kidded with him that it was ok to touch me, I realized that it was ONLY a spot and NOT A DATE.

DAMN!!

Where do you workout???

As a trainer, the only people who want me to spot them are the elderly and the heavy!!

bikinimom said:

IF I TELL YOU TO STAND CLOSE BEHIND ME AND TOUCH MY FUCKING BODY....THEN YOU'D BETTER GODDAMNED WELL DO IT!!!!!

Well...since you put it that way :p

Actually I have to be honest...I lift alone. And I go to the absolute limit. My Power Rack is my bestest friend....saved my life so many times.

To answer the original question: If I dont know that I can make the lift I dont attempt it. I've tried to make a lift when my head wasnt into it enough times to know that I WILL fail and it'll probably hurt.

BM
You need to send that guy over to where I train. Every spotter I get thinks he's doing me a favour by doing the work for me. If I only wanted to bench 300 I'd only put 300 on the damn bar.....instead of risking my neck by overloading it and expecting somebody else to do the work for me. Why do they always say it was all me when I know from the way their knuckles went white that they did alot of work?? And dont people realise that touching me or the bar when I'm lifting throws out my form??????

So needless to say I tend to lift alone......and I rig up my own spot from extra benches that can catch the weight.....or use a cage.

I guess we have different ideas about what a good spot is.

bikinimom said:

Shit I asked a trainer guy at the gym the other day (he looked like he knew how to properly spot someone.....NOT) for a spot on my last heavy set of squats. I told him that I had not gone that heavy in a loooong time and to come up behind me and extend his arms in front with them below my armpits but not to "help me" unless I needed it. I kidded with him that it was ok to touch me, I realized that it was ONLY a spot and NOT A DATE.

The MOTHERFUCKER ALMOST HAD ME FUCKING KILL MYSELF! He was like 2 feet behind me with his HANDS underneath my pits.... not even touching my body! WTF?!?!

After I almost DIED, I yelled at him to do it PROPERLY and by then I was shot - my form was PISS POOR... I completed my SORRY EXCUSE for 6 reps, racked the weight, thanked him for the MISERABLE SPOT (I was polite and only THOUGHT it!) and then he ran away and hid in his little cubicle until I left the gym.

Miserable bastard was probably afraid that I would fucking crush his pussy spine!

Last edited:
I remember being about 18 or so and asking this large large football player to spot me in the gym. I carefully explained to him that when I was benching...NOT to touch the bar at all till I said "HELP". I even repeated it to him again!!!! On my 3rd rep...guess who touched the bar?

I turned around after racking the weight, stood up on the bench so I could be at eye level with him and told him that I said "DO NOT TOUCH THE BAR TILL I YELL FOR HELP!!!" He just stood there in amazement that a 210lb guy would tell all 350lbs of him off for a spot on 225lbs. :)

I have trained alone without a spot for 1 1/2 years...if you really want it...you can either get it or do not be afraid of dropping it in your power rack. If you know that if you don't get it...you will die...then you should be able to drive hard enough to get it. Well...that doesn't work all the time:)

B True

Glad you take notice Lobo how well WOMEN do spot...men do not listen and tend to think they are doing in right and have NO room for improvement..Not all men..but many!

Hehe...I hate those benches with the little pedals you can stand on for spotting...definitely more effective if you REALLY need to help someone get the weight up, but on the "commando days" have to remind myself "only spot for the hubby, only spot for the hubby." :D

Top Bottom