Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Please help!

cashy

Hi ladies. I have always been very active although recently gained twenty pounds-I'm really upset! Anyways I'm going on a trip in three weeks and would desperately love to drop that 20 pds. I'm working out everyday for two hours and eating under 1000 calories. Any other tips? Thanks alot!

Hi cashy, welcome to EF.

Well, first I'm sure you didnt' gain 20 lb in 3 weeks, so reality is that you won't drop 20 lb in 3 weeks. I think you are going to screw yourself w/ the under 1000 cals. It tends to kill your metabolism and probably burn muscle too.

I realize for the moment you are probably interested in just losing whatever you can in the next 3 weeks, blow your diet while on vacation and then get back on track w/ a HEALTHY program to get back to a place where you are happy.

For the short term, can you list exactly what you are eating now, i.e.

Meal 1: 8 am
1/2 c oatmeal
1 whole egg + 2egg whites

Meal 2: 11 am
1 c cottage cheese

Meal 3: 2 pm
4 oz chicken
1 c spinach
1 tbsp vinegar & oil

whatever you are eating - just list in detail like above so we know very specifically what you are eatign now.

And also your training - what specifically are you doing in each day's program. Another thing you may be dealing w/ is if you train 2 hrs / day -- you may be overtraining and not allowing enough time to recover which will also cause your body to slow down.

You are trying to force a change by putting your body thru some short term extremes -that usually does 2 things - 1) slows down your metabolism if you dont' feed your body enough to run efficiently and 2) when you stop doing the extreme program you will rebound back to or even further beyond where you were when you started.

Also realize there si a limited about of real bodyfat you can drop in a short period of time. You can however dump some water weigth that you may be holding via "bloat" if your diet isn't really clean.

Post up what you are doing now & we can probably make some tweaks to get you in the right direction for a 3 week goal. Then I woudl really encourage you to come back and start a healthy long-term program so you aren't unhappy w/ yourself and get caught in that OMG I NEED TO LOSE 20 LB NOW! cycle of non-success.

Thank you so much for your response. The scary thing is that I did gain twenty pounds in a month! I know it's hard to believe but sitting on my tush eating crap has done that! Okay my diet has been the following
Breakfast: 4 oz protein-egg whites/or chicken
sometimes I'll have plain nf yogurt also

Lunch: 4oz protein with 8 0z vegetables
Dinner: 4-6 0z protein with 8 0z vegetable and a mixed green salad

Thanks again for the help!

A couple things tho -- its not all bodyfat that you gained -if you did a radical change in diet & started eating crap, the good news is that you are probably holdign all sorts of water, and also you should go back to "normal" very quickly because your body hasn't really had a lot of time to settle into a new "set point" as far as adjusting its metabolism around your "lifestyle".

Just so you can have a solid grip on what you are eating, I'd suggest putting your speicfic meal plan into a food counts program like www.fitday.com -it will tell you exactly the total calories as well as the macronutrient breakdown - %, grams of proteins, fats & carbs. The point is you want to eat enough calories so your metabolism doesnt' slow down & you can establish an efficient burn rate, but also make sure you are eating the right ratios of stuff to both fuel that burn rate (carbs) as well as ensure you arent' eating away your muslce mass --- more bodyfat always looks better when it has muscle along with it isntead of no muscle at all.

Also can you tell us your stats - height, weight, est bodyfat? "I gained 20 lbs in a month!" doesn't really tell me where you are at now. Also that helps us set an optimal total cals & ratios.

Generally in teh diet you have no good quality fats or carbs. Fats help provide energy when you are on a low carb day, but if you stay low carb / no carb all the time, even Atkins people will tell you that you will drop a whole bunch of water weight but you will feel like shit, be moody, have headaches and be tired all the time. THat impacts the quality of your daily life as well as leaves you w/ nothing to run on when it comes time to hit the gym. You can do that for a short period of time but your body will figure it out & start to bog down your metabolism and when you start to eat normal again you will gain it all back.

Sassy, what to say but thank you! You are so nice for helping me. I now weigh 140-I was 120. I'm 5'5 27 yrs old. I guess I'm just upset because none of my clothes fit! lol! I was also wondering if you are on a low carb plan-which I am- is it okay to not count carbs in vegetables. I've been eating this pumpkin puree stuff like there's no tomorrow! It's only pumpkin nothing else. Do you recomend carb and calorie cycling-few days low one day higher? Thanks again!

I'm not really sure the point of pumpkin puree? Anyone else have any experience w/ this? I rarely do a "low carb diet", but rather a carb cycling. I've never bothered w/ calorie cycling as I tend to train in one form or another every day and my lighter days (e.g. cardio only) match up w/ low carb days. Like I said w/ the Atkins approach - if you stay "low carb" for more than 5 or so days, your metabolism will slow down, go into ketosis - there the idea is that your body has to switch over to burning ketones instead of carbs for energy and then you burn fat as well. The problem is that since you don't have an optimal choice of energy source (carbs) your system slows down a bit. And as I mentioned, your body basically learns how to run on the lower carb & cal intake - but its not running optimally - optimal is in the sense that you fuel yourself w/ pretty close to exactly what you need to "run" and support the level of training / activity you, do then refeed every 2-3 hours (since proteins, carbs & fats are metabolized w/in 2-3 hrs of eating.)

I guess I've never done pumpkin puree - a sample of what I usually eat is:

Meal 1:
1/2 c oatmeal or 1/2 grapefruit
1 whole egg + 2-3 egg whites

Meal 2:
4 oz chicken
1 c green leafy veggies
3-4 oz sweet potato

Meal 3:
4 oz chicken
1 c green leafy veggies
1 tsbp vinegar / oil

Meal 4:
4 oz chicken
1-2 c green leafy veggies
3-4 oz sweet potato

Meal 5:
4 oz chicken

Meal 6:
4 oz steak

Something like that - I usually train at night.

I don't get too hung up on the cals / carbs in veggies - I mostly make sure I have green leafy veggies at most of my meals. On low carb days I remove the carbs & replace w/ same cals in fats so my total cals are pretty much the same.

Pumpkin puree is pretty healthy - it's just pumpkin & full of nutrients......now the pumpkin PIE filling isn't.....I would count all carbs & net them after the fiber.....

Thanks again. Would you all recommend taking a fat burning supp? I'm taking lipo 6 and it doesn't seem to be doing much of anything. I'm sorry I feel like such a pathetic girl with all my weight loss questions. I'm just uncomftorabe in my own skin and I'm pist I let myself go like this. So getting the 20 pds off in 3 weeks is still my goal although I know it's tough to do. I'm also not working so I have alot of time to work out. Thanks!

cashy said:
Thanks again. Would you all recommend taking a fat burning supp? I'm taking lipo 6 and it doesn't seem to be doing much of anything. I'm sorry I feel like such a pathetic girl with all my weight loss questions. I'm just uncomftorabe in my own skin and I'm pist I let myself go like this. So getting the 20 pds off in 3 weeks is still my goal although I know it's tough to do. I'm also not working so I have alot of time to work out. Thanks!

No problem!! Ask away!! And don't feel pathetic.....there's a lot to learn!!

Top Bottom