Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Wide Stance Squats: Probably the best stance!!

louden_swain

Folks,

I know I said I am finished posting, but I just wanted to share my opinions with you all while I had some free time.

As most of you know, I am a religious squatter. . . .nothing beats driving heavy weight upwards using the hips, upper quads, lower back, and abdominals.

I recently changed my stance to a wide stance (roughly 36 inches - wide for me!!), and let me tell you. . . I notice a complete difference in mechanics (in a good way). My feet are spread to the maximum extent of the base of the power rack. Safety bars are set to where the bar comes down to the lowest position.

Here are my observations. . .the wide stance:

1. prevents the knees from coming inward
2. keeps the torso upright without bending over
3. utlizes the hips to a greater degree
4. no negative stress is directed towards the knee (for those with knee problems, please consider this)
5. hamstring and ass fiber recruitment like you have never seen.
6. easier to maintain arch in the back
7. less recruitment of the muscles from the quads (a negative thing if you are a bodybuilder)
8. its easier to reach parallel or below parallel position (for me at least)

Overall, this stance feels natural to me and I plan to stick with this for a long time. . .even though I am a bodybuilder. I am willing to try something new. . .thanks to all you guys.

I think Hannibal inspired me to try this. . I saved videos of his box squat and it looked completely natural for him and he is above 6 feet. I figure, that it might work for me.

Here was the routine that I used (first time ever using wide stance box squats)

1. Wide Stance Box Squats (feet touching base of power rack)

135lbs x 5
185lbs x 5
225lbs x 3
245lbs x 3
275lbs x 3
305lbs x 3
325lbs x 3
355lbs x 3
385lbs x 1 (no max, just top weight)

2. Close stance Good Mornings (feet together)

225lbs x 10
265lbs x 8
305lbs x 5
335lbs x 3

3. Leg Extensions

3 sets of 10 reps @ 150lbs

4. Stiff Leg Deadlifts (light and feet together)

3 sets of 10 reps @ 225lbs

The routine was solid. . .I think it targetted most weak points:

- hips
- hamstrings
- lower back

Give me your thoughts and ideas. . . I thought I would share this with you.

Thanks!!

LS

Wide stance on squats be the bomb... although, every now and then I like to switch it up... on the front squat end of things.

C-ditty

I think wider is more comfortable for the ladies too...at least me! Something to do with our "child bearing" hips.

Top Bottom