Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

HST lift selection

asdfzxcv

I have recently ended a 15 week sf 5x5 in which I made decent increases in strength,now I am trying HST whilst trying to lose some fat.I will probably be doing the conventional 15,10,5rep cycle over 6 weeks with full body workouts 3x a week.My only issue is that I cant really think of more lifts to do,the following seems to cover everything well.

Olympic back squats
Deadlifts(probably do these lighter)
push press
Pendlay row or power clean
bench press
chins
dips

My question is,do I really need isolation exercises with the above assortment of lifts?I cant really stand doing crap like curls when I can be doing something more productive.If anyone has done HST or has any input on the matter please feel free to post.

I think what you have will work. Right now i am doing 3 days a week but going twice a day. This way it will let me hit a little more isolation work. Actually will divide the compound lifts up between the am and pm workouts. Will squat Monday and Friday and do deads on Wednesday.

Do you think I should split the squats/deads into a A/B type system?

Workout A
Olympic squat
power clean or pendlay row
bench
push press
chins
dips

Workout B
Deadlift
power clean or pendlay row
bench
push press
chins
dips

Don't run squats and deadlifts together 3x a week on HST. That's asking for trouble. Split them into two workouts.

Anthrax Invasion said:
Don't run squats and deadlifts together 3x a week on HST. That's asking for trouble. Split them into two workouts.

I figured that would be a bit excessive,would the workout A & B alternated on mon/wed/friday be too much?

Mon-workout A

Wed-Workout B

Fri-workout A

mon2-workout B

wed2-workout A

fri2-workout b
Etc

Would this be a better system?

From what I've read up recently on HST I'd do exactly as you state

a b a
b a b
a b a
b a b
e t c :)

I'm going to be adding more isolation exrecises as well but this is all purely based on researcj as opposed to experience.

are you going to alter your sets depending on what 2 weeks cycle you're in?

I.E. doing 2 sets on the 15 weeks will be far more than 2 sets on the 5 week so you need to try and balance it out by doing more 1 sets on the 15s and 2 sets on 5s. make any sense?

I think if he sticks with either way he will be fine. I like to get in atleast two days a week of squat as my legs need help. I go 1 set of 15s, 2 sets of 10s and 3 sets of 5's.

cwpick said:
I think if he sticks with either way he will be fine. I like to get in atleast two days a week of squat as my legs need help. I go 1 set of 15s, 2 sets of 10s and 3 sets of 5's.

ah i see, the 3 sets on the 5s did seem the logical way to go.

Think I'm gonna go with this:

A:

Squats
SLDL
Shoulder Press
Chest Dips
Shrugs
lateral raises
DB Rows
DB curls
Tricep cable extention
Calf raises