Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

deadlift question-

MsBeverlyHills

should the bar touch your shins/ quads as your pulling?

I noticed some lifters do this, while others hold the bar 3-4 inches from their body. Whats the right way?

I ws always taught that the bar should touch your body because it shortens the distance of the pul, and that starting too far from your body is just wasting energy. Personally, I prefer the bar to touch my body. You will bust up your shins though, you can prevent this by rubbing baby powder on your shins and thighs so the bar slides right over them.

I believe the bar should slide up the shins and then the quads....when the bar is held farther away from the body the tendency for the back to round is greater...and we know what happens with rounded backs and DLs

The bar should touch your body, however, it will tear the hell out of your shins. So, if you can hover the bar just off your shins to save them, or use talcom powder to help the bar slide up your shins.

Also keeping the bar as close to your body as possible helps keep center of gravity over the feet increasing balance. Also it creates the shortest lever arm for you pull increasing you pull power.

Cheers,
Scotsman

MANY, including myself, believe that the bar should NOT be touching the shins on the lift.

IF the bar begins against the shins...it will have to go AWAY from the body as it rises to go over the knees. LOTS of lifters will get stuck AT the knees because the bar had to go forward which threw off their form a lot.

Begin with the bar out a few inches and pull back. It will be one motion...straight around the knees. Straight line...not a curve.

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle...7D5D0A5C62D765DF64F7C6E7.ba08?article=194dead

"Mistake #6: Keeping the shins too close to the bar

I'm not too sure where this started but I have a pretty good idea. Many times the taller, thinner lifters are the best pullers and they do start with the bar very close to their shins. But if you look at them from the sides they still have their shoulders behind the bar when they pull. This is just not possible to achieve with a thicker lifter.

If a thicker lifter with a large amount of body mass — be it muscle or fat — were to line the bar up with his shins, you'd see he would have an impossible time getting the shoulders behind the bar. Remember you need to pull the bar back toward you, not out and away from you. So what I believe happens is many lifters look to those who have great deadlifts to see how they pull, then try to do the same themselves. What they need to do is look to those who are built the same way they are and have great deadlifts and follow their lead."

B True

b fold the truth said:
MANY, including myself, believe that the bar should NOT be touching the shins on the lift.

IF the bar begins against the shins...it will have to go AWAY from the body as it rises to go over the knees. LOTS of lifters will get stuck AT the knees because the bar had to go forward which threw off their form a lot.

Begin with the bar out a few inches and pull back. It will be one motion...straight around the knees. Straight line...not a curve.

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle...7D5D0A5C62D765DF64F7C6E7.ba08?article=194dead

"Mistake #6: Keeping the shins too close to the bar

I'm not too sure where this started but I have a pretty good idea. Many times the taller, thinner lifters are the best pullers and they do start with the bar very close to their shins. But if you look at them from the sides they still have their shoulders behind the bar when they pull. This is just not possible to achieve with a thicker lifter.

If a thicker lifter with a large amount of body mass — be it muscle or fat — were to line the bar up with his shins, you'd see he would have an impossible time getting the shoulders behind the bar. Remember you need to pull the bar back toward you, not out and away from you. So what I believe happens is many lifters look to those who have great deadlifts to see how they pull, then try to do the same themselves. What they need to do is look to those who are built the same way they are and have great deadlifts and follow their lead."

B True

thanks B :)

I agree with what hes saying about bar placement at the beg. of the lift. But what about at the end? once your past the knees- doesnt the bar need to slide up against your quads?

he also said to "drive your belly into your belt"... I dont even use a belt on deads... isant that just for very heavy (like 80% of your one rep max)?

thanks!

MsBeverlyHills said:
thanks B :)

I agree with what hes saying about bar placement at the beg. of the lift. But what about at the end? once your past the knees- doesnt the bar need to slide up against your quads?

he also said to "drive your belly into your belt"... I dont even use a belt on deads... isant that just for very heavy (like 80% of your one rep max)?

thanks!

I try to pull up my thighs once I go around my knee. Sometimes it happens and other times it doesn't. My form is REALLY off right now since I haven't been able to pull heavy for a while.

Wear short shorts when you pull. DON'T wear long pants as you do not want the bar to snag anywhere as it goes up your thighs. A lot of powerlifters will put baby powder on their thighs before they pull to keep the bar moving smoothly.

When you pull..push your abs OUT...not in and tight. Your ab wall should be tight...but pressed OUT. IF you were wearing a belt you would push out against it. Just pretend that you have one on. A lot of the guys at WSB will wear a belt but VERY loose just to practice pushing the abs out.

Create a big, wide, strong core. Make them like the base of the Pyramids...wide and strong.

B True

I personally use a pulling technique that feels the most comfortable. If your natural technique feels comfortable and you are not touching your shins, then stick with it.

Top Bottom