Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Back in the gym after 2 years. Would appreciate suggestions.

Furious_George

Like the title says, I've been sedentary for 2 years. Long periods without exercise are not new for me, but unfortunately whereas in my 20s I would have to go to the gym to not appear skinny, now at 32 I'm developing that "apple shape".

I have a regimen at the gym that has worked well for me, but I'm always eager to learn, so any advice or constructive criticism is appreciated.

Stats:
32 years old
6'
190 lbs
25% bf

Goals:
#1 Add muscle
#2 Reduce BF

Diet changes:
Protein- 1.5 g per KG body weight, mostly from lean meets and an occasional whey shake
Carbs- Reduced, mostly from whole grains
Fats- Greatly reduced, though I do like my occasional cheese steak
Other- Start with some protein, and eat small meals after. Some days (like today) I will intentionally run a caloric deficit and consume mostly whey protein and light meats, but I dont plan to do that often in the beginning.

Supplements:
Creatine loading

Drugs:
Cigs- <= Pack a day
Booze- 10 units per week, reduced from about 40 (I realize this is where the gut mostly comes from)
Other- rarely

Regimen:
**Mon, Thurs- Push exercises and Squat. Start with compound exercises then isolate; e.g. Barbell bench and barbell deep squat in the beginning, and dumbbell flys, dumbbell triceps extensions, machine leg extensions.
**Tues, Fri- Pull exercises and Deadlift. Start with compound exercises then isolate; e.g. Chinups (assisted for now) and barbell deadlift in the beginning, and dumbbell curls, lever-machine rows, machine hamstring curls.
**Wed- Rest.
**Weekend- Cardio; I play basketball, though with my current weight and stamina that may be putting it generously (Played at the DIII level in college). Plan on incorporating some jump-rope next week, but not sure when or how much yet.
**Other info: Generally do three sets of 8-12 reps, depending on the muscle group and my stamina. I work in other muscle groups like rotator cuff, calves, forearms, abs, etc when appropriate, but didn't mention above for brevity's sake.

Progress so far:
Late last week, I did a light overall exercise to get into the rhythm. Unfortunately, got a stomach flu (or maybe food poisoning) Monday of this week, so skipped Mon and Tues. Thurs and Friday I went right into the regimen. Today (Saturday), played some ball (if you could call it that). DOMS are pretty intense all over body, especially in legs. Everything hurts except hands and feet, though I bet they'll hurt too after ball today.

Cardio is not that important to me at the moment, but then again after today I'm a little alarmed by how out of shape I am.

I'm sure I left something important out, but that's all I can think of for now.

So like I said, any advice or constructive criticism is appreciated. I do research on the web, read peer-reviewed articles, etc., but this is a very dynamic topic, and even given the best sources you can find conflicting information from other good sources.

Thanks in advance.

You're too fat and don't have much muscle. So if you got down to 10% body fat you would weigh about 130 lbs...........

Three ideas for you.

First don't drink anything other than water. Not favored or anything else just water. Bet that gets rid of a decent amount of calories.

Second stay away from simple carbs, bread, pasta, gummy bears, sweet tarts what ever you are eating.

Third go outside and do something, set your phone alarm for 30 minutes and start walking when the alarm goes off turn around and walk home. An hour a day, day after day. Doesn't have to be walking but you need to do something every day.

Those three things with some weights and you will see results.

You're too fat and don't have much muscle. So if you got down to 10% body fat you would weigh about 130 lbs...........

More like 160 - 165, but I see your point.

Three ideas for you.

First don't drink anything other than water. Not favored or anything else just water. Bet that gets rid of a decent amount of calories.

Second stay away from simple carbs, bread, pasta, gummy bears, sweet tarts what ever you are eating.

Third go outside and do something, set your phone alarm for 30 minutes and start walking when the alarm goes off turn around and walk home. An hour a day, day after day. Doesn't have to be walking but you need to do something every day.

Those three things with some weights and you will see results.

Thanks for the reply.

I concur take the grains out except oatmeal that is gluten free. Only eat carbs in the morning and lunch time. Lift heavy weights and make sure to build those stabilizer muscles up. Get a pre work out supplement for energy. Eat plenty of vegetables!!!!! But most of all believe in yourself amd your abilities, be proud on your step by step goals.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EliteFitness

I concur take the grains out except oatmeal that is gluten free. Only eat carbs in the morning and lunch time. Lift heavy weights and make sure to build those stabilizer muscles up. Get a pre work out supplement for energy.

Is there any preworkout supplement you suggest?

Eat plenty of vegetables!!!!! But most of all believe in yourself amd your abilities, be proud on your step by step goals.

Thanks for the encouragement and the reply.

Pre workout (pwo) are really in a transitional phase as far as i know. They recently took out phenalanamine I believe is the name which was really good with caffeine. Now you are just left with caffeine so basically a high caffeine dose would be best but start out at low doses and work your way up.

If you want a more refined answer put a new post up asking about the current best pwo and what's the new compound they are using.

Thanks again. I'll do some research on that.

I was thinking about starting to jump rope on non-lifting days for around a half hour (minute on minute-or-more-off in the beginning; no more than twice a week).

However, if my primary goal is to put on muscle at this phase, maybe that would do more harm than good. Do you (or anyone) have any thoughts as to that?

I was thinking about starting to jump rope on non-lifting days for around a half hour (minute on minute-or-more-off in the beginning; no more than twice a week).

However, if my primary goal is to put on muscle at this phase, maybe that would do more harm than good. Do you (or anyone) have any thoughts as to that?

No cardio will not hurt putting on muscle. If your going run to 30 miles a week or something like that then yes it would be a problem.

In fact you need to do cardio period.

No cardio will not hurt putting on muscle. If your going run to 30 miles a week or something like that then yes it would be a problem.

In fact you need to do cardio period.

I've heard it's not a good idea to do "intense cardio" on the same day you do legs. Since I do either deadlift or squat every time I'm at the gym, does that mean finishing up with 30 minutes of rope jumping is a bad idea?

Specifically, I mean minute-on-minute off, as I doubt I could jump rope for more than two straight minutes right now anyway.

Top Bottom