Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What good are deadlifts?

satchboogie said:
where has sofageorge been lately??
I don't know, I PM'd him. He always has interesting things to say about Frank Zane. He worked out at a gym where Frank trained people.

genarr3 said:

I don't know, I PM'd him. He always has interesting things to say about Frank Zane. He worked out at a gym where Frank trained people.

Whenever Frank Zane's name comes up I think of too many funny encounters. I have friends who were students in his high school math classes through the '60s and '70s. If you live in the Venice, California area MOST people who grew up in the area had at least one class with "Mr. Zane." He's famous in Venice for having been a really cool high school teacher that all the kids (and parents) really respected, but almost nobody knew he was a pro bodybuilder, much less a 3 time Mr. Olympia.

I'm a little lost as to the comments being attributed to Frank Zane and not deadlifting. Frank Zane deadlifted his entire pro career, and he still deadlifts to this day. He credits the deadlift for building his dynamic lower back and giving him a great core strength.

SofaGeorge said:

Whenever Frank Zane's name comes up I think of too many funny encounters. I have friends who were students in his high school math classes through the '60s and '70s. If you live in the Venice, California area MOST people who grew up in the area had at least one class with "Mr. Zane." He's famous in Venice for having been a really cool high school teacher that all the kids (and parents) really respected, but almost nobody knew he was a pro bodybuilder, much less a 3 time Mr. Olympia.

I'm a little lost as to the comments being attributed to Frank Zane and not deadlifting. Frank Zane deadlifted his entire pro career, and he still deadlifts to this day. He credits the deadlift for building his dynamic lower back and giving him a great core strength.
I took his mention of Frank Zane to mean it's ok to do one or two sets with great intensity and then you're done with that bodypart. Which I completely disagree with.

genarr3 said:

I took his mention of Frank Zane to mean it's ok to do one or two sets with great intensity and then you're done with that bodypart. Which I completely disagree with.

None of the old guys did 1 to 2 sets ala Mike Mentzer. Those were the days that most guys pushed volume up. It wasn't till the mid-80s that people started squawking about "over training." We didn't even have the concept of over training in the '70s.

Also, if you talk to anyone who worked out with Mentzer in the '70s they will all tell you he did 4 "warm up" sets the 1 "work set" and called it one set. They will also tell you he did his "warm up" sets with the same weight rep range they used for their work sets. (Mike is a bad example. I saw him every day in the gym for years. He looked like total crap. He barely ever worked out, and you would NEVER believe by looking at him that he had EVER been in shape.) (Another odd anecdote about Mike. The wall of Gold's Venice has pictures of all the legends... there are rows of Mr. Universe pictures going back to day one. The same with Mr. America etc... Mike was Mr. America... I'm not sure what year... but when you come to that year in the line up... his spot was blank. His was the only title in the major contest that didn't have a photo. Mike worked as a trainer at the gym every day. The only reason that picture would be down is he asked that it be taken down. Mike seemed to have a lot of bitterness towards his past.)

I am just getting back into deads now that my back is recovered. (Fucked it up lifting a pallet at work :()

Even if deads didn't do jack shit I would still do em because they are so fun.

That said they are argueably the best exercise in existence. Either that or squats.

You want big biceps, massive shoulders, a ripped back, chiselled chest, etc -- do deads.

Top Bottom