Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Weight lifting and women

Butterfly14

I have started a weight training program that a trainer has written up for me... From as women's standpoint my question is what stages does the body go through when you begin a heavy lifting program... I am currently trying to drop bf%... I have always been a cardio freak and have always been "skinny fat" and I'm trying to change the shape of my body by incorporating weight training..as well as 30mins cardio.. After two weeks of lifting heavy 5x a week changing up muscle groups I have noticed I am looking a little bulky especially in my arm and back area. Is this normal to look a little bulky in the beginning? I am petite and want more of a tones bikini body then a muscular body.. My diet is clean very low carb oats in the morning and veggies and lean proteins... Is it normal to feel like it muscles are bulky before they tone down? Hope someone can chime in..
Breakfast-1/2 c oat bran and 1 cup whites
Post wkout- 1 scoop whey
Lunch-4 oz protein 1 cup veggies
Dinner- 4 oz protein 1 cup veggies
Before bed- egg whites and almonds or avocado
4feet 11 inches
110 lbs
29 female

First off how many calories is that a day? Have you put it into a calorie counter app? I like myfitnesspal
And second, what program has you lifting 5x a week? That's a lot for a beginner. I'd maybe start with full body 3x a week.
Its really hard to lose body fat and gain muscle at the same time, either you're eating in a deficit to lose fat or eating at a surplus to gain muscle.. And inevitably some fat too.
Also, when starting any new work out routine people, mostly beginners tend to hold a lot of water, which could be why you think you look "bulky".

First off how many calories is that a day? Have you put it into a calorie counter app? I like myfitnesspal
And second, what program has you lifting 5x a week? That's a lot for a beginner. I'd maybe start with full body 3x a week.
Its really hard to lose body fat and gain muscle at the same time, either you're eating in a deficit to lose fat or eating at a surplus to gain muscle.. And inevitably some fat too.
Also, when starting any new work out routine people, mostly beginners tend to hold a lot of water, which could be why you think you look "bulky".

I will switch to 3 x a week..like lower Monday..upper Wednesday.. Lower Friday? I'm lifting heavy.. I'm at about 1000-1100 cals a day so should I stay in this deficit and lift only 3x a week.. How much cardio? I am wanting to lose BF... And yes I'm retaining SO much water!!!... But drink a SHITLOAD EVERYDAY!!! Water only!...

1000 calories a day?!? My 8 year old eats more than that!!!!
Ok, so eating 1000 call a day isn't something you can do for a long time, women who compete sometimes go that low right before comps, but to build, maintain, or even lose at a normal rate 1000 cals is the last thing you want to be doing. Yes at first you'll lose, but eventually you'll either burn out, your body just won't be able to function, you could also become sick, and even gain weight since your body will be holding onto anything you feed it for dear life. And say goodbye to any muscle you had on your frame.
First off, you need to figure out your
Maintenance cals. Mine is around 1900 a day, I'm 5ft 6in and 130lbs. I work out 5-6 days a week. In order to lose I subtract 10-20%, when I want to bulk I add 5-15%. There's a ton of online calculators to figure this out. And even once you do it isn't set in stone, you have to experiment to find where your sweet spots are at.
I also try to keep my macros 50-30-20.
I hope this helps :)

You're retaining because 1000 calories is outrageously too little. Your body has set up shop in starvation mode and is holding onto everything you put into it for dear life.

AND doing cardio on top of that? So REALLY you're having MAYBE 800 depending on how much cardio you're doing...no.

You need a healthier diet. You need to be eating at LEAST double of what you're eating. Unless you're like 4'11" or something you need at least 2,000 calories to maintain, and even if you didn't, I'd recommend doing that anyway for a while to give your poor body a break.

You're retaining because 1000 calories is outrageously too little. Your body has set up shop in starvation mode and is holding onto everything you put into it for dear life.

AND doing cardio on top of that? So REALLY you're having MAYBE 800 depending on how much cardio you're doing...no.

You need a healthier diet. You need to be eating at LEAST double of what you're eating. Unless you're like 4'11" or something you need at least 2,000 calories to maintain, and even if you didn't, I'd recommend doing that anyway for a while to give your poor body a break.

I am 4 feet 11 inches...I am 700 cals below.. I should be at 1680 when I added it into the calculator..

1000 calories a day?!? My 8 year old eats more than that!!!!
Ok, so eating 1000 call a day isn't something you can do for a long time, women who compete sometimes go that low right before comps, but to build, maintain, or even lose at a normal rate 1000 cals is the last thing you want to be doing. Yes at first you'll lose, but eventually you'll either burn out, your body just won't be able to function, you could also become sick, and even gain weight since your body will be holding onto anything you feed it for dear life. And say goodbye to any muscle you had on your frame.
First off, you need to figure out your
Maintenance cals. Mine is around 1900 a day, I'm 5ft 6in and 130lbs. I work out 5-6 days a week. In order to lose I subtract 10-20%, when I want to bulk I add 5-15%. There's a ton of online calculators to figure this out. And even once you do it isn't set in stone, you have to experiment to find where your sweet spots are at.
I also try to keep my macros 50-30-20.
I hope this helps :)

Can u recommend a low carb diet at 1600 cals?

1680, ok, and that is not including the cals you burn off doing cardio.

Yep! when you change your eating,such as in your case your body senses it, what happens next is your BMR slows down, the reason for this is because you're eating so little the body hoards every single calorie to prevent starvation, most will get discouraged and start eating more and guess what ,the body starts grabbing all those calories for that just in case it goes thru another cycle of starvation and you actually start weighing more than you did to start with.

If you will read my link above you will find that certain foods will add muscle while burning fat at the same time.the key is to learn how much and when to eat, also watch your serving size, i would be happy to assist you in reaching your goal, If you're serious then by all means pm me, i'll sit down with you and teach you in simple layman terms of going about achieving your goals.

Top Bottom