Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The Comeback Tour (No Excuses) - KB's Online Training Journal

KillahBee

Here's the deal: I have had a rotator cuff injury for a while and due to procrastination/new job/relocating I have not put the time in that I need to in order to fully recover and get back to training 100% hardcore. It is with this in mind that I begin my online training journal. For the next 2-3 months I will put my shoulder through a rigorous strengthening program aimed at the rotator cuff muscles. My goals are to increase the strength of my rot. cuff, strengthen those muscles that support the shoulder (delts,biceps,lats,traps) and get back to 100% health.

I welcome all constructive criticism/thoughts/questions/suggestions. And I appreciate it.

Routine
Monday through Friday I will begin my workout with the same rotator cuff specific exercises. Most are taken from Ken O'Neill's program (thanks PH) and are at a sticky at the top of this page.

Rot. Cuff exercises:
lower trap
upper trap
l-fly
l-lat
incline fly

All exercises will be done with 2 sets, high reps (15-20).
All other exercises are secondary.

Mon - Quads / Shldrs.
Squats, BB lunges, Quad Ext.
Bent over DB Rear Delt Raise, Front DB Raise, Side DB Raise, Front Cable Raise

Tue - Back / Forearms / Calves
BB Shrug (alt. w/DB shrug), Bb Bent Over Row, T-Bar Row, Deadlifts
BB Forearm Curl, Reverse BB Forearm Curl
BB Raise

Wed - Abs
Decline Weighted Sit Ups, Lying Leg Raise, Crunches

Th - Bis / Tris
DB Hammer Curl, Incline DB, BB Curl
1 Arm Cable Ext., DB Kickbacks, Rev. Grip Bench

Fri - Hams / Calves
SLDL, Ham Curl, SLGM
BB Raise, Seated BB Raise

Sat, Sun - Off

I am also running a 6-8 week cutting cycle (detailed in diet forum) so I will perform HIIT M-F and jog outside Sat and Sun.

Some of this is a work in progress because I have to see what my shoulder allows me to do (not sure about rev. grip bench).
Keep in mind this entire routine is based around strengthening my rotator cuff and all other movements are secondary.

Let's Fucking Go!!!!!! :mad: :kaioken: :redhot:

Okay, finally got into the gym today (wasn't gonna start til next week but couldn't wait. Keep in mind that almost all of my lifts are down due to the injury and b/c I am kind of testing how the shoulder feels.

Fri.: Hams/ calves

Rot cuff exercises
Low tr:
5x15
5x15
Upp tr:
5x15
5x15
l-fly:
5x15
5x15
l-lat:
5x15
5x15
incl. fl:
8x12
8x15

BB calf raise:
185x20
205x20
205x20
215x20
Seated Bb raise:
90x15
90x15
90x15

Lying ham crl:
80x12
90x12
90x12
SLGM:
45x12
65x12
75x10
Std. ham crl:
115x12
115x10
130x8

Notes:
brand new gym, so I had to take time to check out the equipment.
Smith machine's hooks are reverse of my old gym, so takes some getting used to.
My hips are fucking WEAK! need to do something about it.
SLDL and SLGM too much on back for non-back day, maybe rotate the two every other week.

questions:
feet width on standing BB calf raise

Overall just happy to be in the gym again. Gotta get used to equipment at new gym.
Also need to experiment on timing (I lift before work) so that I can get some cardio in.
I really like working calves/hams on their own day.

Monday - Quads / Shldrs. (176)

rot exercises same as Friday, keep it that way for at least this week.

Squats:
135x8
155x6
185x6
185x5

BB lunges:
65x6
65x5
90x5

Quad ext:
85x12
85x10
100x10

Bent over DB side lats:
15x12
15x12
15x12

Front cable raise:
10x12
10x12
10x12

Side DB raise:
10x12
10x10
10x10

Notes:
Leg workout was SHIT due to my hams still very sore from Friday! Squat and lunges were about 60% of what I should have been able to do. Think about moving Monday's w/o to Tues.
I really like the lunges for quads.
Still experimenting with shoulder exercises and weight used.

Almost fought some scumbag in the gym today. I was walking my DBs back to the rack and he was resting in front of the rack in between sets of curls. Saw me coming and stepped in front of me. I just walked through him. Heard him mumble, "Can't say excuse me, asshole?" Got into it a little, but not about to show up to my new job with facial bruises, so took the high road. got me pissed tho.

Mon - Quads / Shldrs.

Changed rot cuff exercises: dropped standing l-lats and added DB cleans.
Dropped lower trap DBs and added bent over DB side lats.

BB lunges:
55 x 10
55 x 8
55 x 8

Squats:
135 x 8
155 x 6
185 x 3

Quad ext:
90 x 12
110 x 10
110 x 8

Front cable raise:
10 x 12
10 x 12
10 x 12

Side DB raise:
10 x 12
10 x 10
10 x 10

Front DB raise:
10 x 12
10 x 12
15 x 10

Std bike:
15 min.

notes:
What the fuck happened with squats today?! Did lunges first, which was just dumb. Had no energy for squats. Got negative about it and walked away. Bullshit.

Lowered weight for lunges from last week - good idea. Got more out of them this way.

I am now working with SwoleCat on a nutritional plan and a training program so this might all change this week.

glad to see youve got a journal going. stay consistent. good job on focusing on your rotator injury in order to get back to 100%. most people either quit lifting or ignore it LOL

what were you using the smith machine for on your first workout listed above?

Smurfy said:
glad to see youve got a journal going. stay consistent. good job on focusing on your rotator injury in order to get back to 100%. most people either quit lifting or ignore it LOL

what were you using the smith machine for on your first workout listed above?

Thanks Smurf. I have ignored the injury too long. The only solution is to get in the gym and hit it hard. No excuses. The Smith machine was for calf raises.

Alright peeps, started a new split, gonna test it out for a while while I cut and strengthen my rot cuff.

Monday Back/Traps day
Rot cuff movements:
Standing DB upper trap:
5x15
5x15
DB Clean
5x15
5x15 (burn so goood!)
L-fly:
5x15
5x12
Bent over side lats:
10x15
10x15

Deadlifts:
95 x 12 (warmup set - go lighter next time)
95 x 10
95 x 10
115 x 8
115 x 8
Surprisingly doesn't bother my shoulder at all. In the next few months I really want to up my DL. I've set goals for myself that are modest b/c of my injury, but attainable nonetheless.

BB row:
55 x 8
55 x 8
65 x 8
65 x 8
Once again, didn't bother the shoulder too much. Not completely sold on this movement yet, but I will give it time.

Lat pulldown:
50 x 8
50 x 8
60 x 6
60 x 6
Was worried about this as I have been told it is dangerous for shoulder injuries. Only movement I do that involves my arms being above my head. Didn't bother me really. Keep it light though.

DB shrugs:
40 x 20 (drop to 35)
40 x 20
40 x 20
40 x 15
Love high reppin these!

Also, 45 minutes cardio.

Gotta keep my eye on the prize: strengthen that rot cuff to get back to 100% and cut down while doing it. I have set goals and plan on achieving them. Next couple of months focus needs to be on:
strengthening rotator cuff (monitor it closely)
increase DL
increase squat big time
cut bf% so that when I can finally lift 100% and heavy, it's major fucking bulk time.

I also have to keep reminding myself not too push it too hard. I need to find that balance between babying my shoulder and overdoing it. The last thing I want to do is get impatient and hurt myself again. I also don't want to miss opportunities to speed up my recovery and push myself. I gotta listen to my body.

PS- This fucking ON Choc mint is good as hell (sipping it right now...)

Top Bottom