Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Squats / Deadlifts / Bench

MOONCAT1971

I am fairly new to weight training, (training properly 4 about a year) and I am looking for all over gains and muscle growth.....looking at posts and what people say, it would seem that experienced lifters keep coming back to three main exercises ...

Squats
Deadlifts
Bench press

-If I base the majority of my training around these three exercises am I likely to see results all over??
-Are these enough in themselves to see gains for example on the bicpes, tri's or shoulders, or will I need to continue spending a day focussing on indivdual areas aswell?
help v much appreciated......

By basing your routine on those three lifts you are taking agiant step in the right direction. I wish someone had showed me proper form on squats and deadfs when I started. I never used them until well after I started. They are huge when it comes to gains in size and strength. You could get by with no other exercises, but your lifting might get stale and boring. Other lifts you could incluse would be bentover rows, chins, shoulder presses, dips, skullcrushers, a crunch and perhaps a calf raise. Many people do far too many exercises. You should keep it pretty simple and just bust your ass on a few lifts. Good Luck!

Once you learn squats, learn to do front squats. They're a great exercise and complement to regular squatting.

INDEED!!!! all you need at the moment are squats, deadlifts, bench press and maybe curls, bent over rows, shoulder press and dips.

all these moves are known as compound movements and hit one muscle group hard but also use other, smaller groups as well and will stimulate the most growth possible.

for example the bench press hits the chest as the main body part, but also hits the front delts and triceps hard too.
the squat hits the quads along with the rest of your legs, lower back and glutes.

keep your reps between 6 and 10, so use a weight that you can just get 6 reps from, with good form and use that weight untill you can do it for 10 reps, then up the weight so you can do only 6 again.

The most important thing you can do is to eat properly, make sure you get lots of protein from meats, eggs, milk etc..

good luck, keep training!

If you are fairly new, have someone experiences actually SHOW you the correct form on these. Reading and looking at Pic's are OK but not as good as the real thing. Make sure this person Actually knows something.

Also.. No one mentioned REST... You will be amazed at how much sleep you will need workin it hard. At least I do.. Enjoy

Yes, those three should be the meat and potatoes of any decent weight-training program but (as DEADLIFTING mentioned) do not be a stranger to some chins, rows, dips, militaries, and stiff leggeds or you'll never see the full development you're looking for.

Even a little isolationary work here and there would be benefitial. After all, you're a bodybuilder...not a powerlifter, right? ;)

I would add chin ups/pull ups or bent over rows.

and some form of ab work........to keep your core strong.

I have gone back to those three lifts.........along with pull ups alternating with rows, leg raises, and every now and then i chuck in some bi/tri work, and maybe some hamstring.

Im trying to keep it "meats and potatos" and work more for strength.
not get caught up in the zillion exercise work outs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom