Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Ruminations on the squat

But if you are shaking side to side in the hips and/or find yourself having to lean forward a lot while coming out of the hole, that's another story. Let me know. :)

Thanks for the advise! I do lean forward way to much with the heavier weight, I am pushing myself probably to much, trying to go to heavy right now I know. I just cannot believe the progress I am making with the heavier weight vs. higher rep lower weight.

n

lil nasty said:
I do lean forward way too much with the heavier weight, I am pushing myself probably to much, trying to go to heavy right now I know.
n

This is because your lower back (erectors) are weak. Lil you are unconsciously loosening up your form in order to lift more weight. I guarentee you I could cut your squat poundage by 30% or more immediately and still leave you sore the next day. Like I mentioned before you really need to concentrate on a slow, controlled range of motion (ROM). That forward lean is pretty soon going to start causing back and knee problems. I'd suggest some good mornings to build strength in your lower back.

Lil please read this brief article on squatting ASAP. For EF old schoolers, this squat primer was written by Arioch.

http://www.midwestbarbell.com/articles/squat.htm

If your knees are coming in at the bottom of the squat, it often means weak hips. I used to have this problem (still getting rid of it actually).

One thing that really helps is doing band abductions. Sit on a box at or slightly below parallel. Wrap a jumpstretch band tightly (I double it and tie it off) around your legs just below the knee. Then spread your knees out. Do 2-3 sets of 15-20 twice a week and your knees will stop moving in on squats in an amazingly short period of time.

I got this method from Spatts and PolishHammer, for those who remember them when they posted here.

Anya the way you feel about squats is my feelings on dead lifts I f'n love them I could dead lift every day!

How are dead lifts different from squats, mechanically? I squat now and am thinking of ading deadlifts but they seem to hit the same muscles. Can you have both in a program or are you just repeating things?

AngMc said:
How are dead lifts different from squats, mechanically? I squat now and am thinking of ading deadlifts but they seem to hit the same muscles. Can you have both in a program or are you just repeating things?

Depends on the typs of deads.

I've always like (straight back) stiff legged deads - hits the hammies, lower back and traps.

Good mornings will hit - hammies, lower back and our fav - glutes.

Be good to your hip flexors... :verygood:

Squats also hit your quads - in addition to your hammies, lower back and glutes.

Side note: ever do walking lunges?

Last edited:
Anya has made some good points.

I have clients use the Abductor machine for a while when their knees come in. Usually there is an imbalance between Abductors and Adductors. I call it aerobic instructor's or runner's butt. They have stronger ADs and a cookie sheet ass along with other imbalances. Bad combo for deep squats until you resolve the imbalances.

Leaning forward is OK, depending on how your define leaning forward. You have to lean to some extent or you'll have problems out of the hole and knees will tend to come over the toes. Have to use a wider stance. I use a broom stick in the rack so their knees can't come forward. When they squat, they have their toes just to the point of the broom stick, forces them to use the hips. Best way to teach a squat along with a box for depth.

Good mornings, pull throughs, reverse back extn machine are all good assist exercises. Pull throughs especially.

I have also found ab/core work on a swiss ball to be very helpful. My clients that take my one hour core/ab class are far more stable with squats.

Regarding depth, learn to squat deep light before you start going heavy. If you develop bad form and compensatory neural recruitment patterns to get out of the hole, you'll be in trouble soon.

Lastly, you have to stay tight during the whole movement. I have some new clients that squat well, but turn to jelly on the last rep because they are fatigued. Then they try to speed up the last rep to get it done. Bad idea. Usually results in lots of yelling on my part. If your hands are on them at this point, you can feel it before they finish their last rep, I don't let them do another if they are not "tight".

Best thing is to have someone that really knows what they are doing work with you and watch you to begin.

W6

I am questioning the knee wraps because the top of my shin seems to be a little sore and I have heard that heavy squatting can strain the patella tendon which attaches to the top of the shin.I am just wanting to protect my knees a little.My form is tight although on the last rep I have to work hard to stop my legs buckling inwards.

I have tried walking lunges, but they seem more difficult than squats. I was wondering if I needed to add the abductor adductor machines because it felt like I was weak side to side. Also I have never lunged before.

But I had been told once that the adductor/abductor machines were junk. ?

Top Bottom