Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Ruminations on the squat

gingernuts said:
I am questioning the knee wraps because the top of my shin seems to be a little sore and I have heard that heavy squatting can strain the patella tendon which attaches to the top of the shin.I am just wanting to protect my knees a little.My form is tight although on the last rep I have to work hard to stop my legs buckling inwards.

When does it get sore Ginger and how long does the discomfort persist? Is it in both knees or just one? What is the type of discomfort.......stabbing, burning, etc?

Ab and Ad machines are generally junk only because you see women using them solely to try and fix they unsightly stick legs and fat butts.

The Abduct. machine is the only one I use and only when the client has weak abductors. Once I balance them out (i.e., knees stop coming in during deep squats), then they can stop the Ab work.

If you want to increase stability, take a 6 - 8 lb medicine ball, hold it out in front of you with one hand, and do about 6 sets of walking lunges, about 50' per set with about 20 - 30 sec rest between sets. Take a large step and make sure the back knee touches the ground, then push off with the back leg as if you were doing a kick back (butt blaster). Your glutes will hurt for days. I use these in my ab class and everyone bitches about sore glutes in two days. It really increases squatting stability along with the other exercises I mentioned earlier. I use the medicine ball vs dumbbells because holding the ball in front with one hand forces you to keep your shoulders up and whole body balanced. If you drop the ball, you need work. Switch the hand you hold the ball in with each set.

W6

Nothing wrong with knee wraps if you're a powerlifter or weightlifter (soft wraps for OL) peaking up to a comp. But if form is bad to start with, no amount of wraps or belts or suits will improve your squat. You'll just hurt yourself and have to take months off for rehab and then your squat will be even worse than before.

I'll repeat this for good measure:

"Regarding depth, learn to squat deep light before you start going heavy" and add "with good form", obviously.

Top Bottom