Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Ruminations on the squat

RottenWillow

Plat Hero
Platinum
I've been squating seriously now for 18 months. I sure as hell DO NOT pretend to me an expert on it....not even close.....but I've have learned enough to know it is an amazing exercise that continues to suprise me.

It's is such a complex exercise. Like an onion, you just keep discovering layers to it, even after performing it regularly for a long time. There's so much room to screw it up, but so much potential for huge benefit. Just one exercise that can hit so many bodyparts so effectively, it's like simultaneously doing 3 exercises.

More than any other exercise I find it boosts my ego. Like climbing my own personal Mt. Everest. A big challenge that kinda scares you but leaves you feeling massively stoked when you're done.

It can target so many different areas depending on how you do it and what you want to see happen with your body.

1) Want an onion booty? Squat deeply, sit way back (preferably to a box), and press up with the heels.

2) Want full hammies? Concentrate on slow, controlled desents all the way down into the very bottom of the movement. Contol it so much you know you could completely freeze in position on the way down if neccesasy.

3) Want fuller quads? Sit a little more forward. Press up more with the balls of the feet.

And I'm not even touching on the PL variations that enable you to lift substantially heavier poundages. That's a whole universe of variations I know little or nothing about.

Anyone else have any squatting questions or comments, jump on this mofo. :D

I do deep squats and am considering using knees wraps as my lifts are getting heavier.I have n't used them so far as I am aware over use of any supporting aid can lead to weaker joints. I am lifting 90 kg for 6 reps (198lbs) and aiming to get to 100kg (220lbs). Does anyone else use knee wraps and what is a sensible level to start using them?

I haven't started using knee wraps yet, but I've started taking glucosimine/chondroitin supplements.....

I have to use the Smith machine at my gym to squat as there's no squat rack but I'm looking forward to being able to squat 2 45lb plates on each side.....

Does anyone else use knee wraps and what is a sensible level to start using them?[/QUOTE]

I have just started using knee wraps when my weight got to 175 lb. I found my knees starting to buckle. I would be interested to know the response on using a supportive aid or not issue. I have read many articles on belts and always felt it was creating a weak link. I will say one thing the wraps help me do a deeper, cleaner squat. :)

Lil N

"Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder but ain't nobody wants to push to damn heavy weight" The "Big Nasty"....Ronnie Coleman

The arguments I've heard about knee wraps is only to use them on when the weights start getting seriously heavy - if you use them before you really need them, they simply become a crutch that is robbing you of the weight you can actually bear. Honestly if you feel that it is detrimental to not use them, use 'em! One question I would toss out is, just as with doing that extra rep or two with the help of a spotter, is there a way you can increase the weight you can bear comfortably / safely without wraps -- or work up from using wraps to not using wraps (equivalently, increasing the strength of your knee joints??) on those increasing weights?

anya said:
I've been squating seriously now for 18 months. I sure as hell DO NOT pretend to me an expert on it....not even close.....but I've have learned enough to know it is an amazing exercise that continues to suprise me.

Great Post!

N

lil nasty said:
I have just started using knee wraps when my weight got to 175 lb. I found my knees starting to buckle.

What exactly do you mean when you say your knees are starting to "buckle". What and when precisely over the ROM does this happen?

Personally I tried knee wraps and while they did allow me to move a little more weight when squatting deeply I ultimately dropped them. I like wraps for power lifters and for those with some minor physcial deficit(s) left over from old injuries. I dont see any reason for a heathy bodybuilder to use them.

anya said:
What exactly do you mean when you say your knees are starting to "buckle". What and when precisely over the ROM does this happen?

Personally I tried knee wraps and while they did allow me to move a little more weight when squatting deeply I ultimately dropped them. I like wraps for power lifters and for those with some minor physcial deficit(s) left over from old injuries. I dont see any reason for a heathy bodybuilder to use them.

I guess the best way to describe it is they are a little shakey....I think you guys are right, lift without them and build up the joints.

N

lil nasty said:
I guess the best way to describe it is they are a little shakey....I think you guys are right, lift without them and build up the joints.

N

If it is shakiness in the knees only here's what I'd say.

Lighten up on the weight until you can do a set of at least 8 slow, rock solid reps with complete control. Could just be your quad and hammy strength curve has outpaced that of your tendons. Or it could just be you've gotten weight happy (happens to all of us at some time) and your form is getting loose.

Either way just ease back and concentrate on quality of motion and control.

But if you are shaking side to side in the hips and/or find yourself having to lean forward a lot while coming out of the hole, that's another story. Let me know. :)

Top Bottom