Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Question about squat form...

XbdawggX

In the past I've either shirked away from doing squats, or kept to really light weight because I've never been 100% confident with my form. I've read a ton about it, but for some reason it never feels right.

I use a stance that's probably 6" or so wider than shoulder width. I keep my back straight/arched and look up. My concern lies with how far my knees come forward. I recently went back to using really light weight so I could concentrate on my form.

When I did squats this week, I tried to visualize myself sitting back more and this seemed to help with my knee/shin positioning (as far as I could tell). The only thing is that my hip flexors fatigued pretty quick... I'm just wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or if that's my weak link.

Any thoughts?

Do use a box (box squats). And if you don't have access to a box, use a bench (that's below parallel).

It's going to do a few things for you:

*Help you deal with your mental block on going below parallel. I think some of your problem is mental.

*It'll recruit your hams/glutes/hips for your squats; get them stronger.

What are you performing for work for your assistants: hips/hams/glutes? glute-ham raises? Reverse hypers? Good mornings?

Last edited:
Here's an easy tip that might help you practice getting your form down.

Toe up on a wall about 1-3 inches from the wall and squat in your normal stance. If your face or knees drag the wall, that's your cue to practice sitting back a bit more. I've taught over 100 hundred lifters to squat this way and the method seems to work well.

slinky said:
pwr_machine: I'm going to use your suggestion. Excellent!
Let me know how it works out for you. I usually get the lifter to just pretend they are holding a bar with their hands held high, at shoulder height.

pwr_machine said:
Here's an easy tip that might help you practice getting your form down.

Toe up on a wall about 1-3 inches from the wall and squat in your normal stance. If your face or knees drag the wall, that's your cue to practice sitting back a bit more. I've taught over 100 hundred lifters to squat this way and the method seems to work well.

That is one heck of an idea...

B True

b fold the truth said:

That is one heck of an idea...

B True
I use to teach a couple weight training and a powerlifting classes with 30+ lifters in each class. That's right, I went to a universit that had a powerlifting class...squat, bench, and deadlift! Fun times.

I'd have everyone lined up on the wall doing wall squats to figure out who needed the most help when we finally hit the weight room. It was easy to stand back and watch depth and form with that many lifters.

Then it made since to keep doing it, even after they learned to squat. Good warm-up and hopefully digging into that muscle memory bit. Repetition will get you closer to perfection, right? :)

Thanks for the tips. I tried the wall thing before (I think I read a post of yours about it before) and with my toes right on the wall, I was able to go through the motion, albeit slow and shaky. haha.

As for assistant work... My leg routine is squats, sldl and leg extensions. I don't do a lot because I play hockey during the week and my legs are usually wiped out from that.

I'll also look into doing some box squats. There's no readily available box at the gym, but I might be able to come up with something.

Thanks again.

XbdawggX said:
I'll also look into doing some box squats. There's no readily available box at the gym, but I might be able to come up with something.

Thanks again.
They're pretty easy to construct with a piece of pine shelving or something of the sort.

I find that concentrating on moving my hips first (rather than knees) really helps. Also concentrating on transferring the weight to my hams and hips helps me not use my quads as much.

I guess lots of people concentrate on squeezing their back to avoid using too much biceps on rows, but not as many people tend to concentrate on using their hams in squats?

Top Bottom