Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

overtraining!?!

Sealer69

Everyone on my FB team does the BFS training method were they go twice a week bench, sometimes even throwing in shoulders the day before. I'm trying to get away form the BB mentality that been fucking up my progress in the weight room . Is once a week bench cool. Also what's up with volume training (ie 3x3's and 5x5) my coach has a hard on for that but I've always read (Mike Mentzeer) that it is best to go to failure on the first haevy set

Mentzer was an idiot when it came to training esp for strength. BFS is ok, not great but ok, just listen to your coach it sounds like he's not a complete idiot. If you can pick your own traning system then goto www.elitefitnesssystems.com an dabsorb everything there.

Never, ever train to muscle failure when strength training! That's a cardinal sin..well not really but just.. don't do it.

take care buddy,
jeremy

This is a good article on overtraining by Bob Shaefer, reprinted here from the April edition of PowerMag Magazine:

"How many times have you heard the topic of over training come up in your gym? I’m guessing, not very often.
How many times have you worked your way through a specific training period in preparation for a new PR in the bench, only to find the expected gains were nonexistent? How many of you made the determination that more volume was needed or, maybe a totally new routine would solve the problem?
If the answer is “YES” to all or most of the above, in my opinion, you fall into a category of the majority. Occasionally we see the rare individual who can train daily without suffering the ill effects that would bring most of us to a dead halt. Often, those of us in the majority attempt to design our routine around the strongest lifter in the gym.
Now, if the “Over Trainer” and the “Strongest Lifter” are one in the same, a reality check is in order before making the decision to shadow this individual’s training routine to the letter.
Yes, there are a few who are genetically predisposed and will defy all the excepted “Work vs. Rest” theories.
Most young powerlifters are impatient. That’s natural. Eventually, we learn how to control our desire to over train or we suffer the consequences. When the average lifter comes to the realization that he or, she must work within their own inherent capacity to train with patience and without “Dilution”, the long term gains will follow.
As a young man, I learned this valuable lesson after realizing I was always my strongest after returning from my annual, two week vacations. After several years, I came to the conclusion that I needed to make changes.
It was this point in time when I began to understand the importance of rest. I began by reducing my weekly sessions from 4 to 3.
Eventually, I came to realize two sessions were ideal if I wanted to totally avoid over training. As time passed, the “Less is More” direction led me to eliminate some of my assistance training. Hmmm, no loss in size and still making gains in strength.
With the opening of our first commercial barbell club, I had the opportunity to apply my new found knowledge to a host of beginners. With no bad habits to overcome, we applied the “Less is More” training to practically every young member who joined. In general, the results were outstanding with roughly, 40 success stories including State, National, and World titles achieved in a seven year period.
Over and over, we proved the value of focusing on the three lifts. Over and over we realized the benefits of longer rest between sets. Each time we ran into sticking points, we cut back in the assistance movements that effected the ailing lift, be it the bench, deadlift or squat. Our findings came down to the fact that two joint movements ( the 3 competitive lifts) were far superior to any “extension” or, single joint movements.
Young college students with busy schedules or, possibly those of you who’s job might take it’s toll physically, will be pleasantly surprised with the results of a gradual reduction or elimination of specific movements that only “dilute” your training,doing nothing more than adding fatigue.
If you find yourself in the gym 4 days a week, burning up the elbows with set after set, of triceps extensions after each bench routine, my guess is, you aren’t pleased with your bench progress.
The great Mike Bridges once told me, he slept 12 hours a day. For those of you who don’t remember Mike, he managed 2105 in the 181 class. Mike understood the benefits of rest.
Next Month I will have more on the dangers of diluted training.
Feel free to email Bob Shaefer at:
[email protected]"

I just skimmed your article, but here's my input anyhow. Overtraining, most of the time is bs. Someone may be tired from work, school, kids etc etc, but that is NOT overtraining. You really need to be in tune with your body to tell when you are overtrained, the human body can tak emuch more punishment than we give it credit for. Mike Bridges' body NEEDED 12 hours of sleep because he was at such a high strength level, however, he still busted his nuts off in the gym and didn't pay attention to this overtraining stuff. The huge majority of lifters are nowhere near his level and don't need as much rest. Keep your body broke down from training -- yes your gym poundages may suffer a little, then rest up and heal for a week or 10 days before a meet and you will destroy your pr's.

Top Bottom