Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

New to weight training, not seeing results

Tatyana said:
Starting out training

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have trained with weights on and off since the age of 16, but I didn't actually BODYBUILD until about 5 years ago.

There is a BIG difference between the two.

One thing that really frustrates me is seeing women in the gym lifting girlie weights.

I really want to go up to some of them and say, "OMG woman, you move more weight after a major shoe shopping trip, stop waving those dumbells around like you are flower arranging".

Far too many women waste WAY too much time in the gym training ineffectively, and then come to the conclusion that weight training doesn't make any difference.

I move some serious weight now, but when I started, there were some exercises that 4 kg dumbells or one or two plates on the cable machine were a SERIOUS effort.

And that is my point, it is the EFFORT you put in.

Just going through the motions of 3 sets of 12 reps is going to have MINIMAL results.

It doesn't matter if 2 pounds is heavy for you, as long as you are PUSHING yourself and progressively increasing the weight, changing up the number of sets and rep ranges, you will get the shape that you want.

I was really lucky that I found a great training partner when I started to train to compete in BBing, and he PUSHED me to lift more than I thought I could.

There is a mind set to bodybuilding that that is often missing for so many people I see training in the gym, it is going to hurt sometimes, but it feels SO good after.

Like Ronnie Coleman has been quoted so many times, everyone wants to be a bodybuilder but no one wants to lift no heavy ass weights :) :)

I would also have a look at these threads

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/w...g-training/bodybuilding-intensity-583304.html

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/w...building-training/training-manual-584731.html

Thanks soooo much for the tips. :) With the arms routine I can lift fairly heavy (for me at my level) with what I have at home. The legs on the other hand is mostly high reps w/your own body weight (squats, lunges mostly). I am going to check out the threads you posted. I also don't think I've been upping my weight soon enough. I guess I'm going to have to invest in a gym membership because I don't know that I can buy heavy enough weights to work my legs at home. My apt. is too small to have alot of equipment. Thanks again Tatyana

Mslala08 said:
Thanks soooo much for the tips. :) With the arms routine I can lift fairly heavy (for me at my level) with what I have at home. The legs on the other hand is mostly high reps w/your own body weight (squats, lunges mostly). I am going to check out the threads you posted. I also don't think I've been upping my weight soon enough. I guess I'm going to have to invest in a gym membership because I don't know that I can buy heavy enough weights to work my legs at home. My apt. is too small to have alot of equipment. Thanks again Tatyana

Same things for legs, but with some weight = awesome bootie and legs :)

Tatyana is right on. I wish I had someone to explain :verygood: to me when I started training 20 years ago; as a result I wasted a few years of just pushing little weights around.
I don't know what your budget is or how close you are to a gym, but I highly recommend training at a gym, for the simple reasons that you'll get more of a push with the energy of other people working out. You'll also learn from different people and wont be stock doing the same thing, which I found easy to do. Even after 20 years of training, I'm still learning different things with different people at different gyms.

Good luck with your training, you have made the first step and that is working out. :verygood:

thandie said:
Tatyana is right on. I wish I had someone to explain :verygood: to me when I started training 20 years ago; as a result I wasted a few years of just pushing little weights around.
I don't know what your budget is or how close you are to a gym, but I highly recommend training at a gym, for the simple reasons that you'll get more of a push with the energy of other people working out. You'll also learn from different people and wont be stock doing the same thing, which I found easy to do. Even after 20 years of training, I'm still learning different things with different people at different gyms.

Good luck with your training, you have made the first step and that is working out. :verygood:

I was quite lucky in that I was introduced to HIT style Mike Menzer training quite early.

A lot of pushing heavy weights is psychological, and I do find myself putting more on the bar etc, than I can actually move safely (especially when I don't have my training buddy with me).

When you break that psychological barrier of 'I can't possibly move that much weight', it is such a liberating and empowering experience to really get just how strong you are.

And then you try and push it even further.

Obviously you can't train balls to the wall every workout, but in those sessions that you do, pure bliss, which is one reason I think I have trained with weights for such a long time, it becomes like active meditation.

I have posted my bigger lifts in my training journal, and I am really strong for a woman, and I have had to work hard to get to these weights, but to give you an example:

Leg Press 250 kg or over 500 lb

Squats 100 kg or over 200 lbs

Bench Press 60 kg or over 120 lbs

And all of those are for between 8-12 reps.

It is this sort of training that will give you the body you want.

Cardio will only help to burn fat.

Tatyana said:
I was quite lucky in that I was introduced to HIT style Mike Menzer training quite early.

A lot of pushing heavy weights is psychological, and I do find myself putting more on the bar etc, than I can actually move safely (especially when I don't have my training buddy with me).

When you break that psychological barrier of 'I can't possibly move that much weight', it is such a liberating and empowering experience to really get just how strong you are.

Obviously you can't train balls to the wall every workout, but in those sessions that you do, pure bliss, which is one reason I think I have trained with weights for such a long time, it becomes like active meditation.

I have posted my bigger lifts in my training journal, and I am really strong for a woman, and I have had to work hard to get to these weights, but to give you an example:

That's very impressive! :supercool

I can only do
Leg press: 360

Squats: 104

Bench press: 85.

But is so true, I spend years saying 'I can't do that', then once I started training for a contest, I got this burst of energy and was able to increase the weight 50%. Obviouly I have a long to go, but I'm getting stronger every day.
I really dislike cardio, but do it 4-5 times per week. Fortunately I eat clean all year round, therefore don't have to work too hard on the cardio machines.

T.

OH my!!!!! That's inspirational!!!! THe little stuff I do is nothing :sleeping:

Tatyana said:

Mslala08 said:
OH my!!!!! That's inspirational!!!! THe little stuff I do is nothing :sleeping:

Don't go there hun.

If the weight is heavy enough to make you growl or pull a face when you are doing it, and you can't really push up the last one, you get a 'pump', then it will build muscle.

Muscle only knows movement and stress, not the number on the bar.

If not, I request you have a go at training this way.

In a lot of ways, starting out lighter and learning good form is a much better way to learn how to weight train.

Perfect form, then go heavy when the movement feels comfortable.

Top Bottom