Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

New to weight training, not seeing results

Mslala08

Hello I am new to the forum and to weight training.
I am 5'5" and from July to Jan I went from 130 lbs to 120 lbs. I have primarily been using the P90X exercise program since January. While I look leaner I am not seeing the muscle definition I would like to have. According to my scale I am about 24% body fat. I primarily eat soy products, fish, veggies, and whole grains. I probably eat around 1200-1400 cals per day. I see some definition in my arms but my stomach is very pudgy and my thighs are jiggly. I am happy w/my weight but I would like to look more muscular

A typical day of meals
bfast- oatmeal w/nuts and raisins
lunch- veggie burger, mixed veggies, small amt of rice or 1 slice whole grain bread
snack- 1 piece fruit
Dinner- some type of veggie protein or fish and salad

I usually exercise in between 5 and 7 pm when I get home from work.
I would greatly appreciate any tips. I have cheated on my diet a few times since January so that might be the culprit but I still feel like I should see more results.

I have trained several women. I have seen and heard this complaint before. Here's the problem as I see it. Not enough protein, not enough quality protein, not enough food. I'd through a couple more meals in there and add some more quality protein, fish or chicken. Up the weight training, get on the squat rack. Train to build muscle, watch what happens to the fat.

Thanks for responding bw1, do you think I should add in some type of protein shake? I am considering adding chicken and turkey to my diet because I am finding it challenging to get all of my protein. I will increase the weight I am using. I mean from looking at me you would think that I only do cardio.

Mslala08 said:
Thanks for responding bw1, do you think I should add in some type of protein shake? I am considering adding chicken and turkey to my diet because I am finding it challenging to get all of my protein. I will increase the weight I am using. I mean from looking at me you would think that I only do cardio.

Try to get your Protein from clean food if possible. However a shake would be good for a quick meal.

bw1 said:
I have trained several women. I have seen and heard this complaint before. Here's the problem as I see it. Not enough protein, not enough quality protein, not enough food. I'd through a couple more meals in there and add some more quality protein, fish or chicken. Up the weight training, get on the squat rack. Train to build muscle, watch what happens to the fat.

+1

I would get in 6-7 meals, mostly from real food, and also eat before bed.

1200-1400 kcals is not a lot of calories, that is more of a serious competition diet rather than a diet to put on muscle.

I would also like to see what your training is like please, as a really common mistake most people new to training make is that they over-train, which is really detrimental to putting on muscle.

Reactions: bw1
Tatyana said:
+1

I would get in 6-7 meals, mostly from real food, and also eat before bed.

1200-1400 kcals is not a lot of calories, that is more of a serious competition diet rather than a diet to put on muscle.

I would also like to see what your training is like please, as a really common mistake most people new to training make is that they over-train, which is really detrimental to putting on muscle.

Hi, thanks for responding.
I workout at home using the P90X dvd's. P90X has 2 days of cardio (plyometrics and kenpo kickboxing), 3 days of weights (chest&back, legs&back, shoulders&arms) and 1 day of power yoga. Abs are trained on 3 of these day. All of the workouts are like 60 minutes except for the yoga which is 90 minutes and the ab routine is 12 minutes. After 3 weeks you have a rest week w/only cardio, yoga and core work. Then you start a new cycle and some of the weight routines change when you pick back up for your new 3 week cycle.
Here is the p90X site, it has descriptions of the workouts
http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/best_sellers/p90x.do

I had a quick peak, I will have a look again when I have a bit more time.

Do you mainly use your own bodyweight for these routines?

One thing that I know works for putting on muscle is old-school training, especially compound exercises, like bench press, military press, SQUATS (for those jiggly legs), deadlifts, bent over rows.

With heavy weights.

Alternating/mixing it up with higher volume weeks, or weeks with super-sets and drop sets.

You have to make noises (grunt) and pull funny faces due to the effort when you are bodybuilding.

I would also assert that bodybuilding is distinctly different than training with weights or doing a weights routine.

That is what builds the muscle, that and rest, and eating loads of good quality food, protien in every meal.

Starting out training

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have trained with weights on and off since the age of 16, but I didn't actually BODYBUILD until about 5 years ago.

There is a BIG difference between the two.

One thing that really frustrates me is seeing women in the gym lifting girlie weights.

I really want to go up to some of them and say, "OMG woman, you move more weight after a major shoe shopping trip, stop waving those dumbells around like you are flower arranging".

Far too many women waste WAY too much time in the gym training ineffectively, and then come to the conclusion that weight training doesn't make any difference.

I move some serious weight now, but when I started, there were some exercises that 4 kg dumbells or one or two plates on the cable machine were a SERIOUS effort.

And that is my point, it is the EFFORT you put in.

Just going through the motions of 3 sets of 12 reps is going to have MINIMAL results.

It doesn't matter if 2 pounds is heavy for you, as long as you are PUSHING yourself and progressively increasing the weight, changing up the number of sets and rep ranges, you will get the shape that you want.

I was really lucky that I found a great training partner when I started to train to compete in BBing, and he PUSHED me to lift more than I thought I could.

There is a mind set to bodybuilding that that is often missing for so many people I see training in the gym, it is going to hurt sometimes, but it feels SO good after.

Like Ronnie Coleman has been quoted so many times, everyone wants to be a bodybuilder but no one wants to lift no heavy ass weights :) :)

I would also have a look at these threads

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/w...g-training/bodybuilding-intensity-583304.html

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/w...building-training/training-manual-584731.html

Tatyana said:
Starting out training

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have trained with weights on and off since the age of 16, but I didn't actually BODYBUILD until about 5 years ago.

There is a BIG difference between the two.

One thing that really frustrates me is seeing women in the gym lifting girlie weights.

I really want to go up to some of them and say, "OMG woman, you move more weight after a major shoe shopping trip, stop waving those dumbells around like you are flower arranging".

Far too many women waste WAY too much time in the gym training ineffectively, and then come to the conclusion that weight training doesn't make any difference.

I move some serious weight now, but when I started, there were some exercises that 4 kg dumbells or one or two plates on the cable machine were a SERIOUS effort.

And that is my point, it is the EFFORT you put in.

Just going through the motions of 3 sets of 12 reps is going to have MINIMAL results.

It doesn't matter if 2 pounds is heavy for you, as long as you are PUSHING yourself and progressively increasing the weight, changing up the number of sets and rep ranges, you will get the shape that you want.

I was really lucky that I found a great training partner when I started to train to compete in BBing, and he PUSHED me to lift more than I thought I could.

There is a mind set to bodybuilding that that is often missing for so many people I see training in the gym, it is going to hurt sometimes, but it feels SO good after.

Like Ronnie Coleman has been quoted so many times, everyone wants to be a bodybuilder but no one wants to lift no heavy ass weights :) :)

I would also have a look at these threads

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/w...g-training/bodybuilding-intensity-583304.html

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/w...building-training/training-manual-584731.html
Wow, Tatyana! I absolutely love your attitude (and your results) about lifting heavy weights!!! It is SO empowering to lift those heavy weights, and see the changes your body makes through doing it. Feeling strong is so awesome.

Oh yeah...and hey new person! :wavey: Looks like you are getting some great advice here. I used to not lift heavy weights at all. Now If I'm not making faces, panting and sweating hard during my session I would just rather stay home. Seeing results will keep you going (momentum) after you start lifting heavier.

Also, if thinking of it as "body building" is a turn off for you, then think of it as "body sculpting". I think of it as such. :)

Top Bottom