Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

LiL Help

Gladiola, thats my biggest problem!! When I start going to the gym again after a lil while, I do everything at once!! I'll go everyday and walk the treadmill for 30 mins, do the Eliptical for another 15-20 mins, and then head into the weight room!! After a week or two, I'm bored and burned out!! I put way too much on my plate as my dad would say and I try to accomplish everything all at once!!

Welcome lillady:) You will find a lot of good info here as you can already see!! A lot of times we make training more difficult than it really is...Keep it simple and basic..You can group your body parts in different ways..I usually go chest/back..legs....arms/shoulders as my routine..sometimes I change it around..3-4 exercises per body part..going heavy as you can. You can throw in some drop sets in there as well. Do not do high rep..light weight stuff..will not give ya the results you are looking for. You may want to think about hooking up w/ a trainer for a week or two just to get you started in the right track..Get your bf% done and start from there. Your weight means nothing..145 means nothing..its your bodyfat is what is important and how you should judge your body by..How is your diet? Cardio in the AM on an empty stomach is a good choice if looking to cut. Give us some more details...glad to have ya:D

I wasnt sure if you had any experience with the machines and lifting or not......but since you dont...... Steelweaver's plan looks great. Get some one to show you the machines and what muscle group they work. Then maybe in a few weeks, you can come back and ask about a good workout routine. Use those people who work there....ask lots of questions. And of course continue asking here and reading :) Best of Luck on getting pumping :)

Lady after my own heart! :heart: If you're going to do it, DO IT! :D

That's good that you already have an idea of what one obstacle is for you... so you can plan to overcome that obstacle & not let it get the better of you.

Planning out your workouts in advance should help. I totally relate to the feeling though... I'm having such fun lifting I want to keep going often, but I know I need to train sensibly.

I'm looking to start back into cardio this weekend, starting Friday, and I'm wondering what I should do and for how long. I'm really into the treadmill and the Eliptical. I would just like a set kind of course, I find it easiest that way when I have a schedule set for me. I'll be sure to do the cardio in the morning on an empty stomach and then try out the different weights for a bit. Thanks Ladies!!

You can do a general 45-60 min cardio at a moderate pace -- enough to make it hard to talk while doing it to keep your heartrate up. To keep it interesting you could also mix in some interval cardio for 20-30 min. (e.g. one minute low, 2 min high, one min low, etc. or build up like on the bike, 2 min on level 1, 2 min on level 2, 1 min on level 1, 2 min on level 3, 1 min on level 1, etc. If you have the Body for Life book (Bill Phillips), or can take a peak at it, he talks about this sort of interval training for 20 min, 3 x per week. You can up the 3x per week, but the interval concept is good. Also remember to take a break every now and then and if the AM cardio doesn't fit your schedule, you can do it after your lifting session.

Questions.

I'm about in the same place right now. I lifted for years, quit, got really into an ed, and am now set on lifting again and living a healthy lifestyle.

I'm meeting with a trainer for an hour or so tonight to reaquaint myself with technique and get my bf checked (scared to even see that one). Thanks for the tip about working out the full body for a couple of weeks. I think it makes sense to ease my body back into this. I don't want to get hurt. After that I want to split it up with chest/back, legs, and arms with cardio in between each day (1-2 days off on the weekend to rest). My question is whether I should do abs on my cardio days, every day, or what.

Also, on lifting days, is there a recommendation on how long I should warm up before lifting?? Is it okay to do high intensity intervals on all of my cardio days-- or should I just keep that to once a week?

Thank you SO much.

Katie

katie...... ease ur way into the split....... cardio 3 sessions on non lifting days...... do one HIIT (high intensity interval training) 20-30 min.. the other 2 i would do moderate 45min..... put the HIIT in the middle.

for ur situation right now i would keep all ur cardio sessions to 20 min (HIIT) and 30min for the moderate ones since we're more concerned with putting on a little muscle. once u start upping ur calories gradually then u can up the cardio as well........ but for now keep the cardio to a minimum.:) (considering the low cals ya know)

Hi Raina,

Personally, I don't do abs any more often than any other muscle group... but that's mainly cuz I don't see any reason. My genetics for the 6-pack stink & I know the only thing that's gonna make them more defined is losing BF - I work them 2-3 times a week but that's cuz I teach aerobics & yoga/pilates classes & I do it with the class.

Lifting warm-up (far as I know): 5 min on treadmill or bike & then a light set, stretch, & go.

Not sure about the Hi-intensity intervals - might be a bit much to do them every cardio workout. Hopefully your trainer has some insight on that one. I think there are some concerns with putting your body through VERY rigorous demands (such as marathon runners) & it'll thus retain fat & go into like a survival mode. But I don't know if HIIT 3-4 or even 5X per week would put you at risk for that - particularlly if your intervals were just higher intensity, but not extreme anaerobics intervals.

katie...... ease ur way into the split....... cardio 3 sessions on non lifting days...... do one HIIT (high intensity interval training) 20-30 min.. the other 2 i would do moderate 45min..... put the HIIT in the middle.

for ur situation right now i would keep all ur cardio sessions to 20 min (HIIT) and 30min for the moderate ones since we're more concerned with putting on a little muscle. once u start upping ur calories gradually then u can up the cardio as well........ but for now keep the cardio to a minimum.:) (considering the low cals ya know)

Top Bottom