Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

LiL Help

LiLady11

Hello to everyone!! Another newbie here!! I'm looking to start an exercise program to help me lose the weight that I gained since I started taking Paxil for panic and anxiety. I'm 20 years old, 5'4" and 145 lbs. When I gain weight it goes directly to my stomach and thigh area. I'm totally new to all this so I want to start kind of easy. I belong to the local Y where I have access to Treadmills, Eliptical Trainers and stationary bikes. There is also a weight room with the FitLinxx system. There they have:
Leg Press
Leg Extension
Leg Curl
Hip Abduction and Adduction
Seated Row
Chest Press
Chest Fly
Lateral Raise
Shoulder Raise
Tricep Extension
Bicep Curl
Standing Calf
Dip/Chin Station
Low Back
Abdominal
Back Extension
Cable Crossover

In my home I have some free weights and an Ab-Doer (not mine!!) Like I said on the other board, I'm looking to kick-start this pogram "I'm sick and tired of feeling sick and tired!!" Thank you in advance for any help you all can give to me!!

Welcome girly;) and awesome post!! You are definitely moving in the right direction!!:) Much success in your pursuit :D Keep us updated on your progress:) You will find this board very helpful and imformative;) and don't let the creepers coming over to comment scare ya...LOL:p

To help you start an exercise program, tell us how many days a week you can devote weekly to the gym?? Then we can whip you up a program :) And Welcome to Elite.

Thanks Ladies!!
Ann, I can devote most everyday to going to the gym and I'll also have time to do stuff at home as well!!
Whip me up a plan!!

Ok....are you familiar with the exercises associated with each bodypart?? I know someone at the Y can probably assist you, if you need help in that area. But, just for examples....here is my basic week routine:

Mon : chest day; abbs

Tues: back ; calves

Wedn : legs; abbs

Thurs : triceps; calves

Fri : bi;s ; abbs

Sat: shoulders

Thats a line up of my week....give or take here or there. Now do you need assistance on the particular exercises to do with each bodypart?? I do my calves so often...since they are one of my weakest parts. Then abbs, only because I like doing those often :)Ask if you need more info......hopefully some other chica's can chime in also :)

lil lady...

anne's right...i mean...no routine is set in stone....but hers is just fine and looks as good as any. do you know how to properly train ea. muscle? i mean...have you been shown proper execution and technique of the different movements?

I've never really been shown how to execute properly, but there are people there to assist. What exercises can I do for each of these body parts? I really need work with my stomach, butt, and back
My arms are in okay shape, as are my calves. My thighs have good muscle, but the tops of them are jiggly. I've always been a huge walker and was always very big into Theater Production so my arms were in good shape as were my thighs from lifting. "Lift from your legs, not your back!!"
Thanks ladies!!

Welcome to Elite - stick around and you'll learn a LOT, and get to know some great people.

Not to disagree with you, ann, but my suggestion would be for LiLady, being completely new to training, to do a full-body workout 3 times a week or so to start with, or even upper body Monday, lower body Wednesday, upper body Friday. Then the following week do lower body Monday, upper body Wednesday, lower body Friday. Do abs and cardio on the other days.

This way your muscles, tendons and ligaments can start to get used to the new stresses being placed on them, and you can build some foundation strength. After a couple of months you can start to split it up more.

I'd suggest that you spend the first week or two just playing around with the machines/weights, having someone show you the correct technique, and getting that perfected before adding significant amounts of weight. Try to experiment with lots of different exercises for each body part, and slowly put together a program using the ones that you like, or that feel comfortable (making sure you have every body part covered). (Of course, sometimes you have to do exercises that you don't like anyway, but at least there'll be balance). Most important, to keep you going, you need to derive some enjoyment from your efforts.

Maybe start with 2 sets of 10 - 12 reps for large muscles groups, and 1 set of 10 - 12 for the smaller groups. You can increase the sets, or increase/decrease the reps as time goes by, to make your workouts more challenging.

Just my opinion, but I don't think that a complete newbie can generate the intensity required to warrant a full week's recovery. However, I'm not an expert, and I would say that W6 is the guy to ask (since he IS an expert) :)

Good luck LiLady!

wow....

steelweaver...you read my mind....i was about to pretty much say the same thing. w6 knows his stuf...he trains national level bodybuilders...etc...lobo is extremely knowledgeable as well. main objective...take it slow and easy...increase intensity whenever you can...make sure you use proper form, and READ AS MUCH AS YOU CAN ABOUT YOUR NEW HOBBY!!! after your "break in" period....i'm sure you will have an abundance of people more than willing to help you with your routine, diet, etc. ...myself included. be safe!

Hey LiLady,

If you are totally new to exercise & going to the gym, no matter how you split your training, I would try to take at least one day totally off each week.

Your attitude is great, and you need to make sure that whatever training split you choose, it works for you in the long run. (Just wouldn't want to see you take on too much right away & get burned out)

Whatever you choose, make sure you *enjoy it*! Cuz no one wants to torment themselves with hours in the gym each week if they don't like it. Try out some aerobics classes for your cardio too, especially if you like to dance (I'm an instructor =)

Best of Luck

Top Bottom