Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is High Sodium intake screwing up Ketosis?

bodacious

Does High fat have to mean high sodium?
Sodium causes water retention right?
What kinds of high fat foods(except flax oil)have low sodium?
Would high sodium levels interfere with seeing fat reduction on ketogenic diet?

Eggs
Cream cheese in celery
Just don't add salt to anything for a while...
I actually threw my salt away 'cause I was putting it on
everything, now I don't even miss it.

Stay away from bacon obviously. Cheese- high in sodium

Play around w/ heavy cream, sour cream....for flavor
and fat and try out a saltless seasoning blend.

Packaged meats and can tuna-high in salt, but some
tuna says low-sodium.

To make a yummy tuna salad I use Sour Cream, Cream
Cheese, and Chives. Mayo tastes salty to me.

Go to www.lowcarbfriends.com
Lots of info. here.

I've never heard of Sodium messing w/ ketosis. I actually have read that your body loses a lot of sodium as a result of being on a keto diet. I don't remember why. You should have no problem with water retention on this diet, instead you need to worry about dehydration.

True, salt does not effect ketosis. You may be holding
water (time of the mth. or too much salt intake).

I have a nutrition book and it said that when you remove all carbohydrate from the diet your body thinks it's in famine, so at first your body excretes the water due to the protein having a duiretic effect, then your body adjusts and you don't pee as much and you sorta
get a famine belly hence those staving ethiopian kids w/
the bloated bellies. But of course you have to be on this
lo-carb diet strictly for something this extreme to take place.

In myself I started to notice a non-budging pouch
-took a laxitive, helped very little as far as belly puffiness.
-then talked to a trainer she said w/ these diets you actually start to hold water under your skin.?

-cleaned up my diet, no salt, nothing processed, no
art. sweet.. It's called KISS:Keep It Simple Stupid, no
sour cream or heavy cream, no protein bars, little mayo
use Duke's there is NO SUGAR, no salad dressings.
Straight meat and eggs unprocessed.

I also lowered my cals.

With Mega water intake you should have no problem with sodium or water retention. If your body sees you are getting plenty of water it want try to store so much of it. The more you drink the better everything works. The increase in water will make you urinate more resulting in lower readings on the keto strips but it will not knock you out of ketosis. Furthermore, the more water you drink the more sodium your body will flush out which means that you can eat more salt (if you so desire). This has been my experience anyway.

Yeah, are you drinking enough water? I drink 130oz.
per day maybe more.
I also think women hold water differently than men.
Our hormones and other things ya know?

Hey, I have noted a puffiness on my skin too.
I was actually doing a keto only in preparation for a photo show. Do you think I'd better switch to another diet? (high protein, low carbs, for example)

I've got some diuretic caps I'm going to use just before the photos, do you think it can sort out the problem?

I did a keto and then photos another time, and I did look horribly puffy on my low abs skin.

Ketones are the end result of "incomplete" breakdown of fats, with the ketones being the "remnants, ash, etc." left over from this. Ketoacidosis IS dangerous in a diabetic, no question about it. Ketoacidosis however IS NOT dangerous in normal healthy humans adapting a high fat/protein, low carb diet. Acidosis simply means an increased amount of acid in the blood. Ketone bodies are acids and therefore CAUSE acidosis. There are several other chemical mechanisms by which the human body produces acidosis, and many ways in which the body compensates for ketones to maintain a normal pH balance. In normal humans adopting a ketogenic diet, the ketoacidosis will correct itself in one to two weeks, and the pH of the blood will then remain normal throughout the remainder of the diet. Changes in the water and electrolyte content of the brain are rapidly compensated for by the rest of the body. It is really that simple.

So, as you can see, it might take your body up to two weeks to adjust to the PH levels. In turn, some people do not respond well to Low PH level and they will retain water. I have talked to numerous of people that complain about water retension while others say they lost water. I think it all depends on the person.
(I'm not sure, but I think this, refering to the water retension due to low-ph, might be an alergic reaction. not all ppl. experience it) --I'll go today and look it up in the library--
I'll also echo some things that the people before me said:

Basically, when in Ketosis your body starts secreting sodium, water, and some pretty important nutrients along with it. (take multi vitamins and minerals daily along w/ Chromium picolinate) That is why people say you look harder while in Ketosis, but smaller due to the fact that there is no muscle glycogen.

Now, the problems people have with water retension while in ketosis are not that simple and sometimes hard to pinpoint, in my view. It can be either too much sodium, not enough water, not enough nutrients in the body, or you might be alergic to something you are eating.
Try to look at the list I gave beforehand and see if any of these might apply to you. If so, then correct the problem. As far as alergies go, that is for you and your doctor to decide.

I'd exclude food allergy, as I don't think to have any; also, I'm only eating in bigger quantities what I'd eaten other times.

If it was a my own personal reaction or a symptom of adaptment that was going to go away in the future, how can I sort out the problem to look good for my photos? Diuretics?

Top Bottom