Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Breakfast?

wannaBsexy

I haven't eaten breakfast in so long, that I can't hardly stomach anything until around 11am. Can I just eat almonds until I build up my ability to eat this early? I ate a few (4-5) this mornig before Cardio (per someone's advice to get SOMETHING on my stomach first thing in the AM). And since I got to work I've eaten several handfulls.

How many is to many.....and is it a good idea?

I plan to start boiling egss and eating a few of them every morning when I think I can handle it.

Also, what kind of protien shake should I be drinking? I couldn't find anything at the G-store.

TIA! I feel so bad posting these dumb newbie questions. I know most of you are actually training for competetion etc. and I don't want to clog up your board with my dumbs stuff.

I will get into my own groove soon, and won't be so needy :)

Breakfast is the most important meal... If you are doing any weighted activity to build muscle you pretty much are deteriorating all your hard work because you are not eating anything when you wake up. Your body breaks down your hard earned muscle to burn as fuel since you are depriving it of carbs, and secondary fats.
Many protein shakes are out there and taste is your own preference. I like GNC banana creme personally. You should be eating some carbs in the a.m. for fuel. The body likes to use carbs as fuel even over fats (almonds).
I used to be the same way... you have to reprogram your brain and your body will follow. 5-6 almonds is nothing.... You need some food for your body to chomp down on. Make up some oatmeal or whole wheat toast and make yourself eat it. Even if it takes you an hour to get into your system, the goal is to feed the muscle and fuel the brain. You need to set your own goals as to what you are working up towards. I have no idea what your calorie split is so the goal could be 1cup of oatmeal and 4 egg whites in 4 weeks. Set out what you want to take in at your breakfast and write on your calendar a way to get to that goal. If you start out at 1/4 of it the first week, 1/2 the second week, 3/4 the third week, and by the fourth week you should be eating the full meal...
That's what I would do..

I used to be exactly the same, went through about 8 years of being in school / uni and getting up at 7:00am but couldn't stomach eating. I would probably eat something at about 11am but it was usually crap so that didn't help either!

I forced myself into eating breakfast and at first it was hard, would take me quite a while to eat whatever I was having, but now it's easy. After a couple of weeks of 'forcing' myself I was used to it and it didn't feel like an effort anymore, it was just normal behaviour to me. I made it harder for myself because I made myself eat oats every morning, which back then I was convinced were horrible and tasteless, but now I love eating them!

Oh by the way, hellooo :)

Thanks for the comments. I will make it a priority to eat before I do anything.

You said that the body will beging burning my mucsle if I don't eat - is that true even though I have a lot of fat to burn? I'm about 30 lbs over weight and probably somewhere between 30-35 % body fat. Won't I burn the fat before the mucsle?

Thanks again!

treilin said:
Breakfast is the most important meal... If you are doing any weighted activity to build muscle you pretty much are deteriorating all your hard work because you are not eating anything when you wake up. Your body breaks down your hard earned muscle to burn as fuel since you are depriving it of carbs, and secondary fats.
Many protein shakes are out there and taste is your own preference. I like GNC banana creme personally. You should be eating some carbs in the a.m. for fuel. The body likes to use carbs as fuel even over fats (almonds).
I used to be the same way... you have to reprogram your brain and your body will follow. 5-6 almonds is nothing.... You need some food for your body to chomp down on. Make up some oatmeal or whole wheat toast and make yourself eat it. Even if it takes you an hour to get into your system, the goal is to feed the muscle and fuel the brain. You need to set your own goals as to what you are working up towards. I have no idea what your calorie split is so the goal could be 1cup of oatmeal and 4 egg whites in 4 weeks. Set out what you want to take in at your breakfast and write on your calendar a way to get to that goal. If you start out at 1/4 of it the first week, 1/2 the second week, 3/4 the third week, and by the fourth week you should be eating the full meal...
That's what I would do..

I used to be like you for years.. especially during my university years.. I guess all I can say is really make the effort to get up that 15 min early to have breakfast.. it really does make a difference and is soo worth it.. it takes some getting used to.

good luck! :)

wannaBsexy said:
You said that the body will beging burning my mucsle if I don't eat - is that true even though I have a lot of fat to burn? I'm about 30 lbs over weight and probably somewhere between 30-35 % body fat. Won't I burn the fat before the mucsle?

Thanks again!

Yes, your body will burn muscle first. Doesn't matter about amount of fat you have. Your body holds onto fat stores to carry it through a perceived famine.

We could only be so lucky for it to burn fat first - then dieting and training would be irrelevant - you could jsut starve and get lean. Doesn't work that way.

Breakfast is VITALLY important.

Careful with the "handfuls of nuts" - while nuts are very healthy, they are also very high in calories. They very quickly add up - and can easily shoot you over your daily caloric allowance.

Protein shakes are usually in supplement stores - examples include GNC, Vitamin Shoppe. You likely have some "local" shops that are cheaper too. Look in the phone book under "health food stores" or something similar - or go the a gym and ask them where one is.

Almost any shake is fine - look for one w/ whey protein and minimal, if any, carbs. I would buy the smallest containers until you find one you like, it is all personal preference.

I like Vanilla kinds - the Chocolate ones are too chalky and fake for me. Plus, I like vanilla because you can add flavors to it much easier than Chocolate.

Right now my breakfast consists of 1 packet of Qkr Lower Sugar instant oatmeal, Maple & brown sugar flavor.

Of the prepackaged oatmeals it's one of the lower in calories & carbs than some of the varieties that are labeled "Healthy blah blah blah."

I like oatmeal but I hated eating breakfast. I've made myself do it and now I can tell the difference on the days that I don't have breakfast.

Eggs are ok but I have a hard time eating them on a regular basis. If it takes a few tries to find your breakfast "niche" just remember that you are worth the effort.

Usually 1 - 1.5 oz of nuts at a time is plenty. Add 6 oz of yogurt, or a small piece of fruit and you have a meal.

I order my protein from www.dps.com. They're discounted and get to you QUICK.

If you're doing cardio in the morning, don't eat before you do it, but immediately after.

Aww! Ya'll are so sweet. Thank you so much for taking the time to give me some tips. I will definatly get smething in me in the morning. I can probably do HB eggs or the oatmeal. Or the fruit and yogurt even.

I had to put the almonds away. I was snacking on them to avoid going out to smoke....and I know I've eaten like 5 handfulls - eek!

Heres to another day healtiher :)

Oh, and I walked at lunchtime about a mile :) Got my heart rate up at least!

I think I'm really getting into this for the first time ever. I've fallen on and off the diet/exercise bandwagon for so long....but today, I have a little kick in my step, and this little attitude like "yea, I'm getting in shape, I'm going to look good, I'm going to be able to bench press you in a few months (haha)"

:silly: I'm a geek :)

Top Bottom