Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Back- training light/high reps?

Ideuzee

Find it hard to feel my back working out and I can lift quite a lot but no feeling in the back more in biceps/forearms, so I was thinking of doing a really light back workout with higher reps 15-20 and go slow as I can and holding the weight for 1 sec on the middle of the motion. It feels like I get more feeling and "burn" in the lats when going high reps and short rest time also adding lat pulldown superset with push down.

My goal is to build muscle but not sure if doing this in higher reps with benefit me. Or maybe in the long run.
What do you think?

Thank you bros.

Do you have long arms? I have the same issue - heavy low rep rows just tire out my arms before my upper back really gets any benefit. Longer arms can make 'feeling' the back excercises more difficult in my experience, that's why I tend to use DB rows while lying face down on a low incline bench. You can concentrate on squeezing at the top of the movement far better than with BB rows.

But for lats you really need to use a wider grip if you're not feeling it enough.

I tend to keep the reps at 10-12 for most back excercises, the exception being pull/chin ups and pulldowns - there I go heavier for 4-6 reps with plenty of sets, usually 8-10 sets of 4 reps.

In the last 6 months I have *finally* started to target and see some growth in my back - thanks to a friend who really helped me out. I normally go for 8-12 reps. Some tips:

Go for full range of motion. Watch peoples shoulder blades when they row. Most have such limited range of motion and some have virtually none - rows have become a poor bicep/foerarm exercise. Watch olympic rowers. They do not sit there with a straight back and move their arms mere inches. They lean forward and pull with all their might. ROW!

I prefer t-bar rows to bent over barbell rows. Leave the ego at the door and use less weight. Bend completely over and reach waaay down at the starting position. Use lots of 25's so you can get closer to your body on the top position.

Dumb bell rows are my bread and butter. Again, reach waaay down and try to get the scapula moving as much as possible.

Deadlift.

Do pullups, and chins.

Mix up the pullups - behind the neck, wide grip, narrow grip, one armed.

Form is incredibly important in any lift, but it feels magnified ten fold on back days. I had similar issues, and after reading and leaving my ego at the door like the above poster said, I dramatically lowered the weight, and concentrated on slower and perfect form reps. Its amazing the difference you see when you use strict form.

I'm going to go against the grain and say form isn't as important for back exercises. Except for deadlifts, form is very important.

But for the majority of back exercises I think you can increase the weights while sacrificing some form.

However I would only recommend this if you have spent time getting a good MMC which is a lot harder with back than most muscle groups

Sent from my GT-N7100 using EliteFitness

Top Bottom