Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

5X5 Journal: A HIT'er Experiment

Madcow2 said:
No, just keep going. As long as you didn't blow more than the bench it'll be okay.

Good Deal...

I seem to be climbing up on the lower body weights rather easily, and the other lifts are seeing increases which are not overly difficult to finish on.

A lot of guys do rows with a flat back, hands down grip, upper body parallel to the floor. This is probably better for hitting the rhomboids.

I prefer the Yates row. Arched back, upper body at 70º angle, reverse grip (palms up), pulling the weight into the waist (not torso).

Here. I googled it: http://www.stumptuous.com/badrow.html

Singleton said:
A lot of guys do rows with a flat back, hands down grip, upper body parallel to the floor. This is probably better for hitting the rhomboids.

I prefer the Yates row. Arched back, upper body at 70º angle, reverse grip (palms up), pulling the weight into the waist (not torso).

I used to be able to do these 6-7 years ago, but after my back injury, I feel the weight pulling too hard on my lower back. I make sure I try to keep a arch in my back, but I still get that uncomfortable pull.

After I get my 5X5 deads above 315 lbs, I might try them again.

G2F

Singleton said:

Whoa: Krista! That's a name I've not heard in awhile. I remember her from misc.fitness.weights. Cool, cool woman!

upper body is about 20-30 degrees from upright.

And those pictures match it. I wouldn't even call that a row. 90 degree rows will hit the lats more fully as their function is to pull back into the torso. If you this upright gravity is pulling against your shoulders and that lats just aren't going to get optimal recruitment (I notice Singleton said 70 degrees so at least that's a lot better than the linked description). This and other variations of row and lat recruitment have been studied fairly extensively with EMG work. This is how the Pendlay Row came about (90 degrees, dynamic, from floor, overhand).

WEEK 3

DAY 1:

Squat 5x5 --> 245 (started to feel tougher, made all reps)
Incline Bench Press 1X5 --> 230 (barely squeezed these out, still moving up--5lbs per week)
Rows 1X5 --> 160 (feeling stronger in these, getting used to the movement)
ABS --> 3X25 Seated Knee-ins

DAY 2:

Squat 5X5 --> 235 (should've done 225 today--forgot, but no problems)
Deadlift 5X5 --> 225 (progressing well, starting to get harder)
Military Press 5X5 --> 135 (The right weight, next week will be really tough)
Pullups/Chinups 5X5 --> BW (1 set palms in, 4 sets palms out)
ABS --> 3X25 Seated Knee-ins

DAY 3:

Coming soon...

Day 3:

Well, because i was not able to do this workout--I will have to start the week 4, Day 1 workout Thursday.

My work schedule has sucked so bad lately that I can not even plan for a evening or morning workout. I also was low on sleep for day 3, so even if I did get the opportunity, I would not have been 100%.

Ahh well, I'll just play the cards I was dealt. Week 4 starts Thursday...

Rather than skipping the W3D3 workout, just do it asap and slide the routine back. To regain some of the fatigue you've lost by skipping a day, you might consider doing W3D3, day off, W4D1, day off, day off, W4D2, day off, W4D3 and than take it from there into week5.

This stage of the program is mostly about building up fatigue and so completly skipping a day could cost you most of your benefits, especially if it turns into a 5-day period with no workout. Your body will recover from the fatigue you've already acrued and then you'll be going into week4 too fresh to get best benefits from it.

Blut Wump said:
Rather than skipping the W3D3 workout, just do it asap and slide the routine back. To regain some of the fatigue you've lost by skipping a day, you might consider doing W3D3, day off, W4D1, day off, day off, W4D2, day off, W4D3 and than take it from there into week5.

This stage of the program is mostly about building up fatigue and so completly skipping a day could cost you most of your benefits, especially if it turns into a 5-day period with no workout. Your body will recover from the fatigue you've already acrued and then you'll be going into week4 too fresh to get best benefits from it.

Thanks for the tip, but I'm military and we have our early morning PT days to work around which makes it difficult to workout later in the day. I planned my 5X5 around these days we PT, because it is so draining to do the PT at o' dark thirty, then try to workout later in the day.

Well, keep plugging away. I missed my week4 squats after feeling a bad twinge in my quads. I was still very happy with the results. Good luck.

Top Bottom