Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

5X5 Journal: A HIT'er Experiment

Once again I gotta do the "mandatory fun" in the morning tomorrow. I have to run a 5k , and I have to do it competitively. :rolleyes:

I dont think it'll be a problem though because I'm running in the morning and my deload workout will be in the evening.

MC, does this type of thing effect my deload at all?

g2f

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd assume it does (kind of depends on the individual and their conditioning for that sort of thing, but if you are asking it's safe to assume yes) - nothing horrendous though. I don't know what you had in mind but you might opt for the 2x deload this week and move the training days if needed. See how you feel after the run. A little extra recuperation this week is fine especially if you plan on using the 3x per week intensity protocol later but regardless nothing really to worry about.

Last edited:
WEEK 5 (DELOAD)

Day 1:

Squats 3X3 --> 255 (felt strong enough for 315+, but I'm deloading LOL)
Incline Bench Press 3X3 --> 235 (first 2 sets were easy, but I almost crapped out on last set--I really needed this week!)
Rows 3X3 --> 165 (felt soo much stronger today. Rows are really starting to pick up)
Wrist Rolls --> 2 sets of 3 up/down overhand with 25 lbs and 1 set of 3 underhand up/down with 25lbs.

Workout Summary:

I was so tempted to throw 315 on the squat bar today, but I refrained. Incline Bench started off strong, but I wore out in set three--I know I needed the deload this week for bench. Rows felt better--I think this week was good for rows as well.

WEEK 5 (DELOAD)

Day 1:

Squats 3X3 --> 255 (felt strong enough for 315+, but I'm deloading LOL)
Incline Bench Press 3X3 --> 235 (first 2 sets were easy, but I almost crapped out on last set--I really needed this week!)
Rows 3X3 --> 165 (felt soo much stronger today. Rows are really starting to pick up)
Wrist Rolls --> 2 sets of 3 up/down overhand with 30 lbs and 1 set of 3 underhand up/down with 30 lbs.

Workout Summary:

I was so tempted to throw 315 on the squat bar today, but I refrained. Incline Bench started off strong, but I wore out in set three--I know I needed the deload this week for bench. Rows felt better--I think this week was good for rows as well.

Day 2:

Squats -20% 3X3 --> 205 (felt good)
Deadlifts 3X3 --> 245 (felt really light)
Military Press 3X3 --> 145 (felt same as last week, only my shoulders were not aching today)
Pullups 3X3 --> BW
Wrist Rolls --> 2X3 overhand with 30lbs, 1X3 underhand with 30lbs
Abs --> Seated Knee-Ups 5X10-20

Workout Summary:

Felt good overall... I'm glad deadlifts felt stronger, I think my lower back has been getting some good rehab! My shoulders have been aching due to all the work they've gotten, but the aching was noticeably lower today even though I still felt a little drained on military Press. Pullups are still progressing in strength, I'm able to go all the way down and shoot back up now with a palms out grip, so next week I'll add weight.

WEEK 5 Summary:

This week has definitely served its purpose... Next week I will start pushing heavier as far as my weights go. For rows, I will probably stick to a 5-10 lb increase per week, simply to be sure I dont fuck something up in my back. The other lifts should start seeing some nice increases! ;)

Week 6

DAY 1:

Squats 3X3 --> 275 (easy, easy, easy)

Incline Bench Press 3X3 --> 245 (should have put more on)

Rows 3X3 -->185 (coming on strong now)

Wrist Rolls --> 2 sets of 3 OH 40 Lbs, 1 set of 3 UH 40lbs (tough, but my forearms are growing like weeds)

Workout Summary:

Felt REALLY strong in comparison to what I was feeling like (car crash victim). All lifts are potentially way above what I did today, but I'm still going to be cautious. Looking forward to Day 2!

Last edited:
Something to consider- i wish I'd have spread weeks 8-9 over three weeks like this: Train tue-fri-tues for "week" 8 and then fri tues fri for "week" 9. I think week 8 would have been even better than it was (it was still really good). I'm in week 9 and i spread it out and I swear it's gonna end up w/ me loading more weight on the bar than otherwise.

I suggested it to Jim when he was on his first run. I'd finished mine before his and that was one of the first things which occurred to me. It ends up as a good mix of deload and intensity and keeps you fresh for big lifts in those weeks.

go2failure said:
Week 6

Felt REALLY strong in comparison to what I was feeling like (car crash victim). All lifts are potentially way above what I did today, but I'm still going to be cautious. Looking forward to Day 2!

Something to probably be aware of, coming from a HIT style program this is a lot more workload and a lot more frequency in the core lifts than you are used to (hell, it's a lot more than what just about every non-HIT bber in the big strenuous lifts). This alone can be a recipe for nagging overuse injuries. Combine this with pretty significant strength increases that have the weights shooting up and the requirement to be lifting at max capacity and loading heavily and it can really have the potential to beat on you.

Keep track of how you feel and don't push harder than you feel comfortable with. I see you are already using the 2x deload. That's probably a good idea and just play it safe. If you run this again (and from what you've posted it looks like you've gotten some solid results so I can't see why you wouldn't want to), you'll probably handle it a lot better with fewer aches and pains. I probably wouldn't push hard into a 3x deloading/intensity type phase and peak your lifts at this point although it might be something you want to experiment with next time when the loading phase is more easily tolerable - you want to be careful with how you treat your body since you only have one.

You might also check out the 'Beyond the 5x5 - Planning Your Training Cycles' link in the TOC of my thread. This will give you a good structure for incorporating other work (maybe you want to use some higher rep HIT work for a period, maybe a 4 week speciality cycle focusing on weak points in XYZ or some such) into a cohesive macro structure. Granted I'm not the biggest fan of HIT on a constant basis but a period of HIT style work from time to time in higher rep ranges (for me that means north of 6) can be beneficial especially if you've responded well to it in the past. A lot of the neural efficiency you'll develop in this program and in the triples can yield some big dividends as it builds capcity into higher rep ranges.

Just some random thoughts but so far everything looks good and I'm glad it worked for you.

Top Bottom