Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

New week new goals?

I started running. I think I am going to do one of those Spartan Races or Warrior Dash's. I am also supposed to do a Tough Mudder. Those are the goals so I need to get my cardio way up! I have always hated cardio. Now I want to kick cardio's ass so I am good at it!

I started running. I think I am going to do one of those Spartan Races or Warrior Dash's. I am also supposed to do a Tough Mudder. Those are the goals so I need to get my cardio way up! I have always hated cardio. Now I want to kick cardio's ass so I am good at it!

Slat, this is gonna sound kinda nuts but if you have any meditative practice or prayer practice it can be kind of cool to bring it to your cardio.

Nowadays I only need to get through the first 2 minutes or so before my brain tunes out but at other times I have used this technique.

Other things I do to bring some enjoyment to the whole experience:

- good tunes are paramount
- being willing to part with music all together and just enjoy the quiet when running outside somewhere nice
- running outdoors anywhere cool (trails or city blocks you've been meaning to check out)
- timing cardio with your favorite tv show and watching while getting 'er dun!
- playing "numbers games" with the time or speed, for example... Sprinting from 12:12 to 11:11, recovery jog until 10:10, sprint to 9:9... Etc. I usually put a machine on manual and mess with it myself. This keeps it interesting.
- engage your inner competitor... even on a treadmill at the gym find a "mark" and try to match his cadence
- do a spinning class, try swimming, play basketball or tennis. Anything that has you sucking wind is going to be training you in some way. It doesn't have to suck.
- jump rope

My plane is taking off... Gotta fly ;)

Slat, this is gonna sound kinda nuts but if you have any meditative practice or prayer practice it can be kind of cool to bring it to your cardio.

Nowadays I only need to get through the first 2 minutes or so before my brain tunes out but at other times I have used this technique.

Other things I do to bring some enjoyment to the whole experience:

- being willing to part with music all together and just enjoy the quiet when running outside somewhere nice
- running outdoors anywhere cool (trails or city blocks you've been meaning to check out)
- playing "numbers games" with the time or speed, for example... Sprinting from 12:12 to 11:11, recovery jog until 10:10, sprint to 9:9... Etc. I usually put a machine on manual and mess with it myself. This keeps it interesting.
- engage your inner competitor... even on a treadmill at the gym find a "mark" and try to match his cadence
- do a spinning class, try swimming, play basketball or tennis. Anything that has you sucking wind is going to be training you in some way. It doesn't have to suck.
- jump rope

All amazing suggestions.

- jump rope

OMG, I do just about every single one of those! LOL. I hope you are not as crazy as I am!!!!!
I'm in New Hampshire right now so going outside is kind of out of the question. Every once in a while I do go hiking up a small Mtn in the snow though. I love being outside. I love nature, its sounds etc.
I generally don't wear headphones because I am losing my hearing already. Headphones are an easy way to make my problem worse. So no music for me. I do miss it though. Nothing like some good music to run or lift too!
I def use the numbers game. Its the only way to keep my brain stimulated or distracted.
The inner challenge is what I am using now. I just try to beat my last time or to keep the same time and go longer.
I have been thinking about jumping rope again. Its been a while. I have a 7lb rope too.
So far this week I have been doing cardio. I ran a mile in 8 minutes. Nothing to brag about but it is a start. My next goal is to work my way up to two miles. It will take some time but I will get there. Cardio along with lifting has kicked my ass the last week or so. Can't fall asleep at a normal hour and then I have trouble getting out of bed. Its all for a good purpose.
Thanks for listing everything. I am going to make myself mix it up. That should help!

OMG, I do just about every single one of those! LOL. I hope you are not as crazy as I am!!!!!
I'm in New Hampshire right now so going outside is kind of out of the question. Every once in a while I do go hiking up a small Mtn in the snow though. I love being outside. I love nature, its sounds etc.
I generally don't wear headphones because I am losing my hearing already. Headphones are an easy way to make my problem worse. So no music for me. I do miss it though. Nothing like some good music to run or lift too!
I def use the numbers game. Its the only way to keep my brain stimulated or distracted.
The inner challenge is what I am using now. I just try to beat my last time or to keep the same time and go longer.
I have been thinking about jumping rope again. Its been a while. I have a 7lb rope too.
So far this week I have been doing cardio. I ran a mile in 8 minutes. Nothing to brag about but it is a start. My next goal is to work my way up to two miles. It will take some time but I will get there. Cardio along with lifting has kicked my ass the last week or so. Can't fall asleep at a normal hour and then I have trouble getting out of bed. Its all for a good purpose.
Thanks for listing everything. I am going to make myself mix it up. That should help!

Cmon, Slat!! You're better than lame weather excuses -- especially in this winter -- it's been unseasonably warm!!!

I lived in NH for 6 years and I miss it so much living in the city

Buy some cheapish snow shoes (even better if you have a big dog) and hit the AT!!! Those are my favorite "cardio memories" ;)

Top Bottom