Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Yoga and weight training?

ylam

I'm thinking about taking a Yoga class which meets twice a week. The class is in the morning and I workout in the afternoons or evenings. Will this affect my workouts?

I only want to take it to improve my breathing and to aid in relaxation. If there are alternatives that have less impact on weightlifting progress, I don't mind doing them. Please let me know of them.

I don't see how it would hinder it that much. Just make sure you eat enough. I caculate at my height/weight that 1 hour of Yoga (hatha) burns 201 calories. Make sure you eat a bit extra if you are trying to maintain or grow.

If anything, try cutting your volume down on your weight training for a couple weeks and slowly raise it- your body will get used to the extra workload without having to worry about overtraining. I don't think Yoga would cause that- not really certain of that. How long have you been lifting?

About 7 years. I was actually concerned about the way Yoga will make me feel with respect to soreness.

i personally would probably not work out on later on the same day as yoga. my prejudice is that your muscles might be very relaxed and you would feel very relaxed and good throughout the day, not a condition per say to workout in. i could be off base there though. yoga could also forceably help with recovery if you plan it right.

if you're worried about your workout later that day, ask if hte class is based on ashtanga yoga (commonly called "power yoga"). Power yoga is demanding on the body - it builds endurance strength. You will be doing a lot of push-up type moves that tax the upper body, twists that work the hips, and holding positions that work the core. It's not just breathing and stretching. I find it very 'refreshing' but tough.

Only you can tell if you can do this and still have enough in the tank for your lifts that afternoon.

Find out what type of yoga it is, then research it. Most ofrms of Yoga, have an inhibitory effect on the nervous system, which will interfere w/ your workout. I know after I doa class, the only thing I want to do is go to sleep.

Top Bottom